baseball all defense 20th century.

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
I would put Sandberg at 2nd. Ozzie Smith at SS. Greg Maddux at P. for 3B, should I put Brooks Robinson or Mike Schmidt? No, Del, I'm not using Wade Boggs:lol:

I need three OF, Willie Mays.... and two others.

Catcher, either Johnny Bench or Carlton Fisk,

all you New Englanders try to be unbiased on that one:lol:

I would put Sandberg at 2nd. Ozzie Smith at SS. Greg Maddux at P. for 3B, should I put Brooks Robinson or Mike Schmidt? No, Del, I'm not using Wade Boggs:lol:

brooks at 3b, bench or berra c, d evans rf, musial lf. hernandez, garvey or george scott, 1b.

• Banned

brooks at 3b, bench or berra c, d evans rf, musial lf. hernandez, garvey or george scott, 1b.
Keith Hernandez? You mean Dwight Evans, not Darrell?

Last edited:

Keith Hernandez? You mean Dwight Evans, not Darrell?

yes on keith and dwight, although dwight's my red sox chauvinism shining through. roberto clemente would be my choice if i wasn't such a partisan hack:lol:

Was Darrell Evans ever known for his defense? All I know about him is that he was a 70's and 80's power hitter who looked mad old in his 1987 Topps card.

del, nuttin' wrong with having Dewey in there if at least for his arm ... Jr. Griffey deserves to be in the conversation, too.

I'd take Robinson over Schmidt and Smith over Ripken.

Robbie Alomar was a human highlight reel at second base.

Last edited:
I think a good case can be made for either Mattingly or Mark Grace at first.

Definitely Schmidty at 3rd. Maddux pitcher, Ozzie SS. Sandberg 2nd.

Catcher and OF I have no clue. Maybe Bench at C, but there's just way too many good OF'ers to pick only one at each. I might pick Mays for center, but I'd also consider Jim Edmunds.

EDIT, didn't catch the 20th century part. Edmunds might not be in consideration then.

Last edited:
They didn't do gold gloves before 57 so it's hard to qualify the old timers on this.

I can only go by the best i can remember since the 1960s.

1B: Keith hernandez/Don mattingly; Both played tremendous defense, really game changing in their times, nobody else stands out.

2B: Joe morgan; Do I need to look further?

SS: Ozzie Smith; Greatest defender in baseball history

3B: Greg Nettles/Brooks Robinson; The human highlight reel and the king of gold gloves could change games

C: Carlton Fisk/Johnny Bench; Both so good they made kids want to be catchers

CF: Willie Mays/Jim Edmonds; Mays be the greatest player of all, Jim made so many great plays that a highlight film of his career could last hours

OF: Roberto Clemente/Ichiro; Clemente was so good nobody could compare in his time. Itchy is unreal, in a league of his own

P: Greg Maddux/Mike Mussina; Google eyes and Moose made it easy on themselves with their fielding

These are the guys I most remember for defense, I know some players won a ton of gold gloves per postions but these guys stand out in my mind.

• Banned
They didn't do gold gloves before 57 so it's hard to qualify the old timers on this.

I can only go by the best i can remember since the 1960s.

1B: Keith hernandez/Don mattingly; Both played tremendous defense, really game changing in their times, nobody else stands out.

2B: Joe morgan; Do I need to look further?

SS: Ozzie Smith; Greatest defender in baseball history

3B: Greg Nettles/Brooks Robinson; The human highlight reel and the king of gold gloves could change games

C: Carlton Fisk/Johnny Bench; Both so good they made kids want to be catchers

CF: Willie Mays/Jim Edmonds; Mays be the greatest player of all, Jim made so many great plays that a highlight film of his career could last hours

OF: Roberto Clemente/Ichiro; Clemente was so good nobody could compare in his time. Itchy is unreal, in a league of his own

P: Greg Maddux/Mike Mussina; Google eyes and Moose made it easy on themselves with their fielding

These are the guys I most remember for defense, I know some players won a ton of gold gloves per postions but these guys stand out in my mind.

Morgan over Sandberg on defense? do you live in Ohio?:lol:

JK. I appreciate the votes.

Edit: I'm a cub fan so I'm biased. lol

Last edited:

Sure, Ryne was known for being a great offensive player, I don't remember him being a super defender.

Like i said, this is through my own memories, I'm sure Philly fans hate ryne as they traded him to the Cubs early.

Sure, Ryne was known for being a great offensive player, I don't remember him being a super defender.

Like i said, this is through my own memories, I'm sure Philly fans hate ryne as they traded him to the Cubs early.

ah yes, ryne sandberg and bob dernier for ivan de jesus. my favorite trade ever.

Forum List

Back