Bart Simpson law? N.J. lawmaker wants to decriminalize slingshots

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Call it the Bart Simpson law.

If the fictional mischievous 10-year-old came from Springfield, N.J., he could face felony charges for brandishing his weapon of choice: a slingshot.

Now a state lawmaker is seeking to change that. State Assemblyman Ronald Dancer (R-Ocean) on Thursday introduced a bill (A4434) that would remove slingshots from a list of weapons under state statute that includes, among other things, "gravity knives, switchblade knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos... blackjacks, bludgeons, metal knuckles, 29 sandclubs" and "leather bands studded with 30 metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood."

Under state law, manufacturing, transporting or possessing a slingshot without "an explainable, lawful purpose" is a fourth-degree crime, punishable by up to 18 months in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Slingshot enthusiasts say they're great for target practice, and some hunt with them. Some Boy Scout programs use them as well.

"Under our current law, believe it or not, Boy Scouts would have to prove that they are not criminals for merely possessing a slingshot," Dancer said.

The bill was inspired by Monmouth County resident Deme Spy, who started a club and website to push for slingshots' decriminalization.

Spy — who said he owns several broken slingshots — said that the state appears to allow possession of slingshots at home, but even that's unclear.

"It seems like the loophole is you an have it in your home for a lawful purpose. But transporting it is a felony, manufacturing it, selling it or buying it," he said. "One of the reasons I started this club was to provide a lawful purpose, incase someone has one in their home."

Spy is being advised by gun rights attorney Evan Nappen, the author of a book on the state's firearm's law, "New Jersey Gun Law," that was referred to by gun rights advocate Scott Bach as the "New Jersey gun owner's bible."

Nappen did not respond to a request for comment. But in the book, he explained what he claimed was the provenance on the state's slingshot ban.

"Slingshots became banned in New Jersey when the law was adopted because some idiot didn't know the difference between a 'slungshot' and a slingshot," reads a passage from the book quoted on Spy's website. "Originally the prohibition was to be for 'slungshots' which is something similar to a blackjack and primarily used for hitting people on the head. Unfortunately some legislative geek changed the 'U' to an 'I' and slingshot became a 'per se weapon.'"

Bart Simpson law N.J. lawmaker wants to decriminalize slingshots NJ.com

Clearly nothing else is going on in New Jersey.

Sometimes I will make a slingshot with two fingers and a rubber band. I hope I'm not breaking a law in doing this.

Hunting sort use ball bearings as ammo I believe. Propelled with enough force can present a serious bodily harm threat.

It's ironic how readily people will defend actual firearms yet yet not even remark on bans of other types of weapons. Know what trained martial artists can do with a 7 foot staff? :)

Hunting sort use ball bearings as ammo I believe. Propelled with enough force can present a serious bodily harm threat.

It's ironic how readily people will defend actual firearms yet yet not even remark on bans of other types of weapons. Know what trained martial artists can do with a 7 foot staff? :)

What?

Call it the Bart Simpson law.

If the fictional mischievous 10-year-old came from Springfield, N.J., he could face felony charges for brandishing his weapon of choice: a slingshot.

Now a state lawmaker is seeking to change that. State Assemblyman Ronald Dancer (R-Ocean) on Thursday introduced a bill (A4434) that would remove slingshots from a list of weapons under state statute that includes, among other things, "gravity knives, switchblade knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos... blackjacks, bludgeons, metal knuckles, 29 sandclubs" and "leather bands studded with 30 metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood."

Under state law, manufacturing, transporting or possessing a slingshot without "an explainable, lawful purpose" is a fourth-degree crime, punishable by up to 18 months in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Slingshot enthusiasts say they're great for target practice, and some hunt with them. Some Boy Scout programs use them as well.

"Under our current law, believe it or not, Boy Scouts would have to prove that they are not criminals for merely possessing a slingshot," Dancer said.

The bill was inspired by Monmouth County resident Deme Spy, who started a club and website to push for slingshots' decriminalization.

Spy — who said he owns several broken slingshots — said that the state appears to allow possession of slingshots at home, but even that's unclear.

"It seems like the loophole is you an have it in your home for a lawful purpose. But transporting it is a felony, manufacturing it, selling it or buying it," he said. "One of the reasons I started this club was to provide a lawful purpose, incase someone has one in their home."

Spy is being advised by gun rights attorney Evan Nappen, the author of a book on the state's firearm's law, "New Jersey Gun Law," that was referred to by gun rights advocate Scott Bach as the "New Jersey gun owner's bible."

Nappen did not respond to a request for comment. But in the book, he explained what he claimed was the provenance on the state's slingshot ban.

"Slingshots became banned in New Jersey when the law was adopted because some idiot didn't know the difference between a 'slungshot' and a slingshot," reads a passage from the book quoted on Spy's website. "Originally the prohibition was to be for 'slungshots' which is something similar to a blackjack and primarily used for hitting people on the head. Unfortunately some legislative geek changed the 'U' to an 'I' and slingshot became a 'per se weapon.'"

Bart Simpson law N.J. lawmaker wants to decriminalize slingshots NJ.com

Clearly nothing else is going on in New Jersey.

He should run for president on the Lawn Dart Party ticket.

Forum List

Back