Barry Bonds Closing In On Hammering Hanks Record - My Opinion

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
Old Hank Aaron did it minus steroids, Babe Ruth did it minus steroids.

In fact old B.R. did it while carousing, smoking, drinking, having a pretty good porch hanging over his belt, too. The guy was a walking time bomb of arterial plaque, yet with all that he was barely beat in total H.R.'s.
Hank Aaron, an unassuming man, did it gradually, quietly, but did it without, life extending drugs. Seems like mostly clean living, and great genetics.

Bonds on the other hand, in recent years has physically continued his prowess beyond his years. It's common knowledge the Barry B.'s head size, physically has grown to steroid proportions, he's been past normal retirement age, but steroids has moved him ever closer to breaking Hank Aaron's H.R. record.

When it comes, I can't look at bond's record without seeing an invisible asterick "*" by the record.

I also think that the commissioner of baseball is a weenie for not confronting bonds. The Comish........claims that pro baseball is the most stringent, and regulated pro sport in the country in respect ot drug monitoring................What a load of or sack of........you know what!

We need a Comish of baseball, that will take a hard stand as was done with Pete rose, Shoeless Joe Jackson.....etc.

By the way, "Field of Dreams" put backwoods hick, Shoeless Joe Jackson and his other Black Sox buddies in this dreamy light of innocence, yet if one read the book (Black Sox) or details of the infamous White Sox that had the World series in the bag, I can't possibly see this Hollywood saga (Field of Dreams) as anything but an attempt at syrupy, tearing-eyed clemency towards men who, though underpaid, would have ruined the respect, and aura of pro baseball if not punished/disciplined for manipulating one of America's greatest past times.
Barry Bonds - All Time Home Run Leader*

The record should be officially recognized by MLB unless they can PROVE Barry cheated. Whether or not the fans want to acknowledge the record, that should be left up to them. Those types of debates are what make baseball, baseball.

The record should be officially recognized by MLB unless they can PROVE Barry cheated. Whether or not the fans want to acknowledge the record, that should be left up to them. Those types of debates are what make baseball, baseball.

Unless heavy boozing nightly and lots of cigars.......enhances one's athletic prowess for extended years of high-output athleticism on a Pro level, I'd say, the "Babe" was some athlete.

The guy has had the federal government and every investigative journalist on the planet gunning for his ass for years. Result: Nothing. Oh wait, he accidentally took some of "The Clear." Asterisk! :rolleyes: The guy's hand/eye coordination is amazing. The only swing I've ever seen that might be better than his is Pujols. Barry's a hitting machine, and I hope he can tie and break the record in San Frenchsicko.

And let's pretend that he was found to have used steroids - guess what, I wouldn't care! Athletes these days have many things at their disposal that Hank and Babe didn't - creatine, protein shakes, plyometrics, vitamins, etc, etc. Yes, I'm using the logically fallible slippery slope argument, but how long before the liberal sports media goons are calling for a guy to have an asterisk by his name because he used some Xyience NOX-CG3?

Anyone take into consideration that steroids were allowed, to bring excitement back to a sport that was falling off the map after the strike year in '94?

That's when most players were still skinny, with the exception of some guys that were just naturally big-framed.

95, they add the wild-card, restructure the leagues, and bring in expansion teams. That's when HR totals started to sky-rocket, and guys started getting bigger. By 98, we got McGuire and Sosa BOTH beating the single season HR record, and looking twice as big as they did only 5 or more years before. You guys know what I'm talking about.

You think that somehow these guys all just managed to slip by? I know the steroid policy wasn't as tough, but let's face it, it's STILL not, and guys are still juicing. Bonds hasn't lost a pound. You don't stop taking steroids and NOT shrink at least a LITTLE. I know because i've taken them, and i know many people who have.

Steroids were the best thing to happen to the sport of baseball, because what was a dieing league became more exciting than ever, almost overnight.

I personally love the game of baseball...I don't necessarily condone the players taking steroids, but it was still the best thing that happened to baseball, and it created incredible profits for the league and the team owners. And cash is king.

For those that aren't aware. Bonds just hit 756 tonight and is now the Home Run leader of American Professional Baseball.

Any odds on what that ball will go for on the auction block by the fortunate holder of it?

For those that aren't aware. Bonds just hit 756 tonight and is now the Home Run leader of American Professional Baseball.

Any odds on what that ball will go for on the auction block by the fortunate holder of it?

I think his 71st in '01 went for somewhere around $325,000.

I would expect this one to be more.

It's only worth what someone's willing to pay, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hit the 1 million mark.

I think his 71st in '01 went for somewhere around $325,000.

I would expect this one to be more.

It's only worth what someone's willing to pay, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hit the 1 million mark.

Just read on Yahoo news that they are expecting this ball to go for around 1/2 million $ +, but could drop in value if Bonds is convicted of Juicing.

I'd encourage that Met's fan that caught the ball to unload it ASAP.

Also the same news article said the tax bite will be big for this young college man. Could be over $200k if he holds onto it and or sells it. What the "hey", he still gets a nice chunk of change if he unloads ASAP, it before Bonds possibly falls into the reputation of Shoeless Joe Jackson of the "black sox".

This is an interesting topic for me. I actually had to pause and think about it. Consider the fact that Pete Rose was denied a spot in the Hall of Fame because he gamboled on baseball – though he never bet against his team. Between Bonds and Rose, I think that if one is to be denied a spot, it should be Bonds before Ruth. Anyway, it is my position that admittance into the Hall of Fame should be based strictly on success in baseball. That being the case, they should each be admitted along with comments about their lives.

As for Bonds – Congratulations on your baseball batting success. Shame on you for using drugs.

This is an interesting topic for me. I actually had to pause and think about it. Consider the fact that Pete Rose was denied a spot in the Hall of Fame because he gamboled on baseball – though he never bet against his team. Between Bonds and Ruth, I think that if one is to be denied a spot, it should be Bonds before Ruth. Anyway, it is my position that admittance into the Hall of Fame should be based strictly on success in baseball. That being the case, they should each be admitted along with comments about their lives.

As for Bonds – Congratulations on your baseball batting success. Shame on you for using drugs.

I must have missed something. Please explain why "Ruth" is in the equation? In other words, why compare or consider denying Ruth a spot. He's already in there (Hall of Fame).

Did you really mean "Rose" but accidently typed "Ruth"? :)

I must have missed something. Please explain why "Ruth" is in the equation? In other words, why compare or consider denying Ruth a spot. He's already in there (Hall of Fame).

Yes. Ooops. Sorry about that.

Yeah. I meant to compare Rose and Bonds. Anyway. The “Baseball Hall of Fame” should be for people who have success in baseball. I think that other issues should not exclude people – though other issues could be mentioned in their biographies at the Hall of Fame. Similarly, Ali should not have had his belt removed because he refused to participate in the Vietnam War.

It appears to me that steroids, at least in the case of Bonds, enlarges the head 10 sizes bigger than it should be and gives the false impression that one is superior to all other human beings. But the theory also stands that it shrinks a man's weeny to the size of a peanut. I think both are true in Bond's case.

Because the MLB front office are cowards.

yep.they sure are.well even if he is allowed in,everybody will know that he was a cheater.he will go down as one and will always have that asterisk next to his name there IF they are stupid enough to allow him in.

Forum List

Back