Barrack Obama to reduce size of government

Um no it is the worst recession since Jimmy Carter. Inflation is no where near it's high under Carter yet but with all this spending almost none of which is going to anything particualrly productive of anything other than red tape and boondoggles it'll get there.

I think its a mistake to cut spending right now.

Just as I think its a mistake to increase taxes (even on the extrmely affluent) right now.

This economy is short of MONEY, folks.

That's why it's in trouble.

The Prophet will continue to look for ways to fund his social agenda because He knows the country cannot afford it. The idea is laudable, but like many other things He brings up in this regard, there is no way to avoid huge deficit spending and heavily burdening society now and into the future. As Richard Pryor said in one of his skits about a party at his house that would not end: "There is, no more, liquor!"

Yet if you continue to spend in nonproductive ways you wind up with Zimbawe style inflation in which you have a largely static amount of goods and services being produced with ever incresing amounts of cash chasing them which is the classic inflationary formula.

Just as I think its a mistake to increase taxes (even on the extrmely affluent) right now.

Yes, so why are we letting the government take more money out of it?

Govt can't spend without taking money out of the economy either through taxation borrowing or inflation, so the government needs to spend less so the consumers can save to spend more in the future.

Charts, data, and government promises mean nothing. More propaganda. 10 trillion dollars spent, expansion of AmeriCorp to 300,000 people, more kool aid please.

Govt can't spend without taking money out of the economy either through taxation borrowing or inflation, so the government needs to spend less so the consumers can save to spend more in the future.

it was a new trick played by bush 2 admin....borrowing from foreign countries took no money out of our economy....thus the easy ability to borrow and spend by them, there was no reprecussion for borrowing, like higher interest rates....because we borrowed from others.... :(

it was a new trick played by bush 2 admin....borrowing from foreign countries took no money out of our economy....thus the easy ability to borrow and spend by them, there was no reprecussion for borrowing, like higher interest rates....because we borrowed from others.... :(

No that's not true. It's money that would've been loaned to other customers or businesses instead of the government. That is still taking money out of the economy. That's why the economy sucks right now... because of all the money that has been sucked away over the years for warfare and welfare.

Federal%20Deficit%20Borrowing%203.jpg

$3T dollar deficit = not a reduction of government size.

No, it is avoiding a potential depression Obama inhereted.

Source for your data?

It is creating a depression from a mild recession that Obama inherited, that was, itself created by excessive spending and debt. You can't borrow yourself out of bankruptcy.

CBO and Casey Research | Visitor Home Page

Please prove how the Republican debt created the "mild depression" which before Obama took office was the worst since WWII.

I actually think you have a point, but everytime I suggested that, pre-Obama conservatives would challenge that claim.

The Prophet will continue to look for ways to fund his social agenda because He knows the country cannot afford it. The idea is laudable, but like many other things He brings up in this regard, there is no way to avoid huge deficit spending and heavily burdening society now and into the future. As Richard Pryor said in one of his skits about a party at his house that would not end: "There is, no more, liquor!"

I agree. Repeal the Bush tax cuts, repeal loopholes, repeal the Bush military spending, and tax incomes over $1 million at 50%.

Then the govt could afford it.

No, it is avoiding a potential depression Obama inhereted.

Source for your data?

It is creating a depression from a mild recession that Obama inherited, that was, itself created by excessive spending and debt. You can't borrow yourself out of bankruptcy.

... A mild recession????

"A mild recession is what we saw after 9/11. ...

You've been taken in by conservative propoganda. They like to pretent 9/11 caused the miled 2001 recession (the economy actually grew .7% in '01) on 9/11 because that offers a convenient excuse for the disasterous conservative policies pursued by the Bush administration.

In truth, the entire "recession" occurred before 9/11. There was no negative quarter after 9/11.

You can check yourself at bea.gov.

... A mild recession????

You've been taken in by conservative propoganda. They like to pretent 9/11 caused the miled 2001 recession (the economy actually grew .7% in '01) on 9/11 because that offers a convenient excuse for the disasterous conservative policies pursued by the Bush administration.

In truth, the entire "recession" occurred before 9/11. There was no negative quarter after 9/11.

Not with you on characterizing Bush 43's policies as conservative. No knowledgeable conservative agreed with or supported that idiot. Btw I am independent and believe in responsible governance and fiscal responsibility. Bush 43 did not pass that test in any way I am aware of.

No that's not true. It's money that would've been loaned to other customers or businesses instead of the government. That is still taking money out of the economy. That's why the economy sucks right now... because of all the money that has been sucked away over the years for warfare and welfare.
in general, government borrowing came out of ones own economy...which makes interest rates go up, because it limited the money supply...thus more costly.

This extra borrowing our gvt did to pay for their over spending... from China, saudi arabia etc.... took no money out of our own economy....there was a plentitude of money because our gvt over spending was able to be deferred and be put on to other countries, so interest rates stayed very low here in the USA due to the over abundance of money on hand....

this indirectly lead to the banking crisis because money was ''cheap'' and they took risks that would not have been taken if it were not so abundant and cheap....

care

Let's see the conservatives spin this one negatively...
Obama To Ask Agency Heads For Budget Cuts
Why would we need to "spin" it at all? We'll just use CBOs' actual numbers:
Congressional Budget Office - Budget Projections
Click on the "Supplemental Data" link and an .xls chart will come up.
2010-2019 Baracks Deficit: 4.4 Trillion
2010-2019 CBO Deficit: 9.2 Trillion

Let's see the Liberals "spin" that one positively. :lol:

Sidebar: If you can't download .xls files because you don't have MS Office. Here's a great alternative that I've been using for years, Open Office. The price is right too, Free!:
OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
... A mild recession????

Not with you on characterizing Bush 43's policies as conservative. No knowledgeable conservative agreed with or supported that idiot. Btw I am independent and believe in responsible governance and fiscal responsibility. Bush 43 did not pass that test in any way I am aware of.

It was conservatives, not liberals who elected Bush. Trying to say they didn't is denying reality. However, I will agree with you in my experience most conservatives are not not knowledgable and maybe that's why they voted for him.

I don't care if you're liberal or conservative, we all know the topic of OP is bullshit.

No the worst recession since WWII remains Jimmy Carters.

More accurately, Paul Volcker.

Carter appointed Volcker to institute a tighter money supply to lick inflation. Volcker did, and when the Fed tightened down the money supply interest rates soared, and caused a recession.

But it worked, inflation went down and stayed down.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back