Barney Frank does flip-flop on Fannie/Freddie while his seat is being challenged.

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
Barney Frank has been all over the airwaves this week with a clear and—we never thought we’d say this—perfectly sound message about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac: “They should be abolished.”

Well, praise be. Two years ago next month, then Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson put the two government-sponsored mortgage-finance giants into conservatorship, and Congressman Frank declared himself pleased that there was a good chance, according to government bean-counters, that the rescue wouldn’t cost taxpayers a dime. Also at the time, Mr. Frank scoffed at the Bush Administration’s view that Fan and Fred should be wound down, saying it would never happen. One and a half trillion dimes ($149 billion) later, Mr. Frank appears to have seen the light.

Recall that in 2007 Mr. Frank had complained that the reason Fannie and Freddie hadn’t been reformed earlier was “the insistence of some economic conservative fundamentalists in the Bush Administration who, to be honest, don’t think there should be a Fannie Mae or a Freddie Mac.” Welcome aboard, Barney.

In another sign that he’s an avid reader of these columns, Mr. Frank even told Fox Business, “If we want to subsidize housing then we could do it upfront and let the budget be clear about that.” That is certainly a more honest way to subsidize housing and makes us think we don’t write in vain.

This is nice, but Captain Ed at Hot Air says we shouldn’t forget the history. He is of course correct (bold is mine):

That’s … a sea change for Frank. While he nearly dislocates his shoulder attempting to pat his own back by claiming that he has said this all along, it’s simply not true. Frank, in his role on the House Financial Services Committee, played a huge part in creating and maintaining the government intervention that severely distorted the lending markets. Whether or not he ever uttered a comment along the way about overdoing home ownership, Frank’s actions helped to create and maintain those policies, and he defended them repeatedly over the last twelve years.

… Just last year, Frank and his allies were busily claiming that the free market caused the collapse, and that only government intervention could restore American prosperity. Eighteen months into the Obama administration, Frank now wants to sound like a born-again acolyte of Adam Smith, or at least as close as Frank can approximate such a pose.

My theory: Barney “I Really Like the Free Market” Frank is frightened that Scott Bielat actually has a shot at pulling off the supposedly unthinkable

BizzyBlog

And as most of us remember the democrats and Barney Franks continual l "defense of Fannie/Freddie"--here it is:

Make certain to watch Bill Clinton blame democrats for ignoring Republican warnings of this financial collapse at the end of this video. There is no doubt that Fannie/Freddie are GROUND ZERO for this current economic collapse.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi7Rs]YouTube - Shocking Video Unearthed Democrats in their own words Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Scam that caused our Economic Crisis[/ame]

Basically the federal government thought it would be a great idea to co-sign our names to 50% of the mortgages in this country-in their policy of "everyone deserves homeownership"-using Fannie/Freddie. This while at the same time they were lowering lending standards--using sub-prime mortgages--less than a desirable credit rating--no down payment--no collateral and at times even no proof of income. Wall Street bought these mortgage backed securities up as fast as they could and started trading them in the black hole called the derivities market--also fully supported and defended by Clinton's treasury secretary Robert Rubin and Allan Greenspan. The government built a house of cards that collapsed leaving the American taxpayer holding the bag.

Last edited:
Well

So now Fannie and Freddie suck and should be abolished??

Glad OL'Barn has finally seen what everyone else has seen for quite some time.

To bad it didn't happen before we taxpayers got hosed again. Jeeze.

Wonder how much this little experiment in home ownership for all has cost we taxpayers???

Last edited:
lol

this should be a lesson to the far lefties who think its only the republicans responsible for the economy's downfall....

Amazing.

Progressives lying about the Housing collapse and Freddie and Fannie. I never saw that coming

Amazing.

Progressives lying about the Housing collapse and Freddie and Fannie. I never saw that coming

:rofl:

This is a total shocker!!!!
:rolleyes:

Que the leftist's character assassination of Bwany Fwank......

"Quick everybody!!! Let's cut off this defective limb!!!" :lol:

The left should never ever be given any power in our government again. They have controlled congress since January 2007 and all they can do is spend us into bankruptcy and blame Bush for it.

I've had enough. How about the rest of you?

I have no problem with the "left". I have friends that are left of center and are quite reasonable people who are apalled by what is going on. The Democrat party is infested with progressives and Marxists.. THAT is the problem. And yes, these folks should never be allowed to gain a foothold again.

Personally, I think most Americans are fed up... Yes, the GOP will reap big wins in November... and God help them if they go "progressive lite" on us.. AGAIN.

The left should never ever be given any power in our government again. They have controlled congress since January 2007 and all they can do is spend us into bankruptcy and blame Bush for it.

I've had enough. How about the rest of you?

I have no problem with the "left". I have friends that are left of center and are quite reasonable people who are apalled by what is going on. The Democrat party is infested with progressives and Marxists.. THAT is the problem. And yes, these folks should never be allowed to gain a foothold again.

Personally, I think most Americans are fed up... Yes, the GOP will reap big wins in November... and God help them if they go "progressive lite" on us.. AGAIN.

The left allowed the Marxists and progressives to bully and buy them off. Lefties have no backbone and should never be allowed any power again.

The further Barney gets from his Congressional office, the smarter he sounds. He'll be a total genius if he can just lose his job.

Barney_Frank_the_Man_Pimp_by_Conservatism.jpg

lol

this should be a lesson to the far lefties who think its only the republicans responsible for the economy's downfall....

The lefties would LOVE to believe that BOOOSH drove the economy into the ditch--but educated voters know much differently.

Fannie/Freddie are GROUND ZERO for this current economic collapse--and the blame is 99% shouldered by the democrat party--who ran these organizations backed by the taxpayers over a CLIFF--that we still haven't climbed out of.

Jimmy Carter originated Fannie/Freddie to aid lower income people into lower income housing. It went from that back in the 1970's to expanding into 500K custom homes. This while democrats were using sub-prime mortgages--and in the below article--no down payment--no collateral-a less than desirable credit rating-in their policy of everyone deserves homeownership. They deregulated everything during the 90's under the Clinton administration--and they have the audacity to blame Booosh. Only ignorance would believe that one--:lol:

Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending - NYTimes.com

lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW5qKYfqALE]YouTube - Barney Frank in 2005: What Housing Bubble?[/ame]

Here's Barney claiming that there is no housing bubble nor will there be.---:clap2:

Amazing.

And here's another video--of Nancy Pelosi--blaming BOOOOSH over this financial crisis.
FACTS must be very hard for LEFTIES to handle.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMInSfanqg]YouTube - Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, and Democrats are Clueless on Freddie Mac Fannie Mae and the financial credit crisis.[/ame]

The Dems have never accepted any responsibility for the economic collapse we are facing. They just blame everyone else and call us racists.

Barnie Frank first recommended abolishing Fm and FM about a year ago.

It was Saturday, January 22nd, 2010 when Bwarny Fwanks started contradicting himself. I posted the article about it here on 03-21-2010 & the stupid idiot Democrats attacked & tried to spin it. The media has been sweeping this under the rug. This story should have been front page with Bwarny Fwanks contradictory actions & statements back then. Massachusetts voters must be some of the stupidest people in the country for re-electing this idiot.

Here is Barney Franks letter to cut funding for OFHEO because they blew the whistle on Subprime criminal activity at Fannie Mae.

Forum List

Back