Bariatric Surgery

I need to exercise. And lose weight. But crap it's cold out.

No excuses!

Fitness Blender

It's still cold. I will get chillblains.

You don't need no stinkin' outside with Fitness Blender. Go to the website, choose a level 3 workout, do it. Lather, rinse, repeat 4x/wk working your way up to 4 and 5 difficulty. Walk or run on other days. Yoga. Pilates. Take them doggies out for a good, long romp when weather permits. Dance! Move it or lose it.

No excuses!

Fitness Blender

You don't need no stinkin' outside with Fitness Blender. Go to the website, choose a level 3 workout, do it. Lather, rinse, repeat 4x/wk working your way up to 4 and 5 difficulty. Walk or run on other days. Yoga. Pilates. Take them doggies out for a good, long romp when weather permits. Dance! Move it or lose it.

It made me tired to read that.

I think I will rest now.

And...chocolate.

Of the two of us, I am the only one who knows anything of the subject. ...

It seems pussywuss vanished some time ago, but just for the record I do have a great deal of experience in losing weight. None that applies or that I would recommend to the OP, but still.

I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

My question – have you or anyone you know had one of the various procedures?

What is/was your experience?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for comments.

I have a close family member who is the director of bariatric surgery in a well known hospital.

If you are only 100 LBS overweight, that is perfect for bariatric surgery. In other words the severely obese aren't good candidates. After about 200 overweight, it's gets risky and a good surgeon will not want to risk it, until you loose some if it on your own and start getting in shape.

Of course a lot of it has to do with how well you fare in your examination, and if there are other overriding health conditions such as heart issues, diabetes, breathing, past history, etc. Again, a good surgeon who's not desperate for the money would discourage you from doing it if you have such conditions, which can be fatal during surgery.

Bariatric surgery is not the cure-all. If they use a lap band or other method to reduce your appetite, you can still cheat by eating small portions but 15 times a day. Even then, you will still keep off at least a great portion of your original weight.

Another critical matter is the surgeon you choose. How many years have they been doing this? What is their record like, ie online reviews, and past lawsuits? This is elective and since you are at a weight where if you truly wanted to, you could loose the weight without surgery. Although "surgery" doesn't mean they cut you open, it's all minimally invasive laparoscopic.

If you eat when you're full before bariatric surgery, you're going to eat when you're full after.

The difference is, you'll probably puke and shit unexpectedly and often when you do.

Then keep your food outside.

Seriously, if you don't buy it and don't bring it home, its not there for you to eat. And you can exercise inside.

My own regimen is to never eat more than 350 cals a meal and make it a point to go to bed hungry. I eat only whole foods, vegetarian, no sodas, cake, candy, pie, chips - except for the occasional dark chocolate.

I work out but more than that, I make my daily activities a form of exercise. Its actually very easy. No matter what I'm doing, I always do a bit more, always twist my torso and stretch further than I need to, lift a bit more, that sort of thing. I also wear weights all day and do constant leg and arm lifts.

I come from a very fat and sick family. Heart disease, Type II diabetes, cancer, obesity and they all smoke. They're a sick bunch and all but one sibling died young. I'm the only healthy one in the immediate and extended family so apparently, I'm doing something right.

Don't whine about what you can't do and just do it.

And Esmeralda is right - if you've got an eating disorder, you KNOW it and there is help available for you. If you're just lazy, you know that too and only you can change that.

Last edited:

No excuses!

Fitness Blender

It made me tired to read that.

I think I will rest now.

And...chocolate.

That's why you're overweight.

Try rewarding yourself by NOT eating the chocolate.

No excuses!

Fitness Blender

Excuses, excuses.

WTF is a chilblain anyway?

"Chilblains (CHILL-blayns) are the painful inflammation of small blood vessels in your skin that occur in response to sudden warming from cold temperatures. Also known as pernio, chilblains can cause itching, red patches, swelling and blistering on extremities, such as on your toes, fingers, ears and nose."

"The best approach to chilblains is to avoid developing them by limiting your exposure to cold,...."

Chilblains Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

It's essentially frost bite, only not severe.

I did these workouts this morning:

Mah buttocks, calves, and obliques are feeling it. Tomorrow my legs, shoulders and upper back will say hello. Tomorrow's workout? Treadmill, mostly running.

Ah, that feels good!

I often think of my mom when I'm on the treadmill. She suffered from R.A. and for her, moving was so difficult. I workout because I can ... someday I may not be able to. But today is not that day and as long as today is not that day, I move. I highly recommend it!

Forum List

Back