Barefoot Again, Homeless Man Wants 'Piece of the Pie'

He wants money, and I imagine he sold the shoes for drugs, which wouldn't surprise me.

I got into a fight with one of my more leftist friends about this..

I said it was a waste to directly give many homeless money.

Why?

Because they really don't have any idea what to do with it.

What needs to happen is a re-education of sorts.

Starting with personal responsibility.

I never give money to the homeless. Ever. There is a homeless guy who sells magazines down at the local mall, but he spends it all on smokes, so he gets nothing from me.

I will give money to those people who busk - I love people who can play an instrument, who do something to earn their money, rather than just sit there and expect it.

He wants money, and I imagine he sold the shoes for drugs, which wouldn't surprise me.
Why?
I never give money to the homeless. Ever. There is a homeless guy who sells magazines down at the local mall, but he spends it all on smokes, so he gets nothing from me.
I will give money to those people who busk - I love people who can play an instrument, who do something to earn their money, rather than just sit there and expect it.
I agree. No one need go hungry or sleep on the street where I live. There are public and private institutions that provide food and shelter (and health care) to whomever needs it. The reasons are psychological rather than economic that would motivate a person to live on the street, sleeping with his head in a cardboard box, like the fellow below.

The very presence of our homeless population is a shameful visual statement about the nature of American society. Supposedly the wealthiest, most freedom-loving nation in the world while our cities are filled with people like Hillman, barefoot and peddling on the streets or living in tent cities, and our prison census exceeds those of the most autocratic nations -- combined.

It is the most vivid statement of political hypocrisy I can think of. What it says is America is no longer beautiful but is becoming uglier year by year.

What do you propose we do with people who choose to live on the streets? Jeffrey Hillman has a home. He has a family to help him. This is his choice. We either allow people the freedom to choose their own lifestyles, or what? There's no alternative but start locking people up, against their will, to improve their circumstances.

Billie Boggs was a homeless woman who was given a place to live, a job. Money. She stuck it out for two weeks and dumped both to return to the streets. It isn't political hypocrisy it is freedom. The freedom to utterly fail. The last example was Ted Williams, the homeless man with the golden voice. He was given work as an announcer, a home, rehab to deal with his drug addictions, he walked out on it all to return to the streets.

The most well intentioned society in the world can't help these people. They can only be helped, if you call it that, by an autocratic and totalitarian culture that doesn't permit homelessness.

Katz you ever tell the truth about anything?....Ted Williams has not returned to the streets....i looked at 6 stories about the guy.....none said he has gone back to the streets,everyone of them said he is still working and living with his girlfriend......:eusa_eh:

That's odd because all I found was from 2011 where he had left rehab and returned to the streets. He returned periodically to visit his girlfriend who remained. I haven't seen anything more recent than 2011.

If you have come across something, post a link.

Why?

I don't know where you are but the people who play an instrument, dance or sing on the streets for money are not homeless. They are professional street performers who are licensed and have a permit to perform in public.

What do you propose we do with people who choose to live on the streets? Jeffrey Hillman has a home. He has a family to help him. This is his choice. We either allow people the freedom to choose their own lifestyles, or what? There's no alternative but start locking people up, against their will, to improve their circumstances.

Billie Boggs was a homeless woman who was given a place to live, a job. Money. She stuck it out for two weeks and dumped both to return to the streets. It isn't political hypocrisy it is freedom. The freedom to utterly fail. The last example was Ted Williams, the homeless man with the golden voice. He was given work as an announcer, a home, rehab to deal with his drug addictions, he walked out on it all to return to the streets.

The most well intentioned society in the world can't help these people. They can only be helped, if you call it that, by an autocratic and totalitarian culture that doesn't permit homelessness.

Katz you ever tell the truth about anything?....Ted Williams has not returned to the streets....i looked at 6 stories about the guy.....none said he has gone back to the streets,everyone of them said he is still working and living with his girlfriend......:eusa_eh:

That's odd because all I found was from 2011 where he had left rehab and returned to the streets. He returned periodically to visit his girlfriend who remained. I haven't seen anything more recent than 2011.

If you have come across something, post a link.

you mean your telling me you googled this guy and only got 2011 results?...everyone i got was from 2012.....here ill do one for you.....i don't want you to overtax yourself.....

Whatever Happened to Ted Williams, the ‘Golden-Voiced’ Homeless Man? | TIME.com

Homeless man charged in deadly subway push...
:eusa_eh:
Naeem David charged with murder over NYC subway death
5 December 2012 - A homeless man has been charged with second-degree murder for pushing a man to his death in front of an oncoming train in New York.
Naeem Davis, 30, was questioned on Tuesday and police say his answers linked him to the death of Ki-Suck Han. Security video showed a man matching Mr Davis' description working with street vendors near Rockefeller Center. The New York Post newspaper has been criticised for publishing a photo of Mr Han, moments from death, on the cover. Witnesses said a man was talking to himself on the platform before he approached the 58-year-old and pushed him into the tracks at the 49th Street station, following an argument.

'Psychiatric problem'

A freelance photographer, R Umar Abbasi, who was waiting on the platform, has been criticised for taking pictures of the victim instead of trying to help. Mr Abbasi defended himself in an interview with NBC's Today show, saying he was trying to get the train driver's attention with his camera flash. "It took me a second to figure out what was happening," Mr Abbasi said. "I saw the lights in the distance. My mind was to alert the train."

People closer to the victim did not attempt to help he said. "They could have moved and grabbed him and pulled him up. No one made an effort." On Tuesday New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the assailant appeared to have a "psychiatric problem". Mr Bloomberg added that Mr Han "if I understand it, tried to break up a fight or something and paid for it with his life".

Source

15 m of fame

grandstandder................................................

Forum List

Back