Barbara Bush Endorses Gay Marriage

I did not say she doesn't have a computer or an email. I said she doesn't waste her time on one, emailing and chatting up strangers.

thats not what you posted earlier.....you said YOU dont allow her to E-Mail FRIENDS....here your saying SHE doesnt E-Mail STRANGERS......you have just turned the whole tone of this conversation....from a strict Domineering Dad to a not so Domineering one....now most of what was said before may be moot....

She doesn't email anyone other than for school business (such as teachers), academic club participants, and family, on very rare occasion. Hope I cleared that up, as if it mattered.

I care about her feelings and what she thinks. When asked, she is entitled to share her opinion. I do not base adult decisions on what she thinks or feels, however.

And one is not entitled to everything they want. Isn't that funny how you can teach them through action at an early age?

If you think that makes her unhappy, you would be wrong. People like boundaries and structure. It provides a sense of safety.

If it makes you feel better to think that she hates me because of my rigidity, or doesn't love me as much as the liberal parent down the street, please feel free. You would be wrong.
Liberalism has Jack to do with it....if you dont let a 16 year old breath a little bit.....your going to suffocate her.....and then when she is on her own and finds out that those "Boundaries" that Daddy erected for her safety are now not there.....well lets just say that one possibility is what Artie was suggesting.....when you said this........I do not base adult decisions on what she thinks or feels, however.
.....thats telling me that your final decision will be what you want not what she wants.....and a 16 year old is kinda old for YOU to be telling her what she wants or thinks.....she is no longer an 8 year old....im beginning to think that is she going to Med School because she wants too...or is this what you want?...

Med school is her idea. Anything else?

And by the way, she goes on all sorts of adventures, often week long, with the school and with her church group. I'm not around on those outings. I trust her 100%. She isn't locked in a closet. Don't fret your pretty head.

And to the bold part. I make all final decisions. She's a child until she is 18. I have a legal and moral responsibility for her well being at this time. When she is 18, perhaps she will have a bit of power. Assuming that she isn't still living here (which she might be) and I'm not still financially supporting her. If those things are in play, I still have the final say. If she doesn't like it, she can go live on her own.

Sounds harsh, I'm sure, but that is the way it is.

Last edited:
Cell phone is communication. I would not want to hire anyone, including a teenager, that did not have the trust of her parents to be responsible in using one.
Same with e-mails and a computer.
Not judging what a parent believes is appropriate if you do not trust a 16 year old to use a computer and cell phone then how can you trust them to work any place other than behind closed doors at home?

I wonder how teenagers got a job before cell phones existed.

By the way, how would you know if they have a cell phone or not? Do you only hire teens that walk into the interview talking on the phone or testing? If so, my guess is you get very few repeat customers.

If you drive by any park where teens are hanging out, you see them more often than not sitting next to their peer texting someone else and ignoring the person in their company. No eye contact. No engaging in conversation.

My daughter hasn't lost the ability to socialize, which, in a sad reflection on today's teens, makes her stand out from her employer's perspective.

SCOTUS disagrees with you, which is why laws against bigamy are constitutional.

So you say it's only a states rights issue?

I can get behind that. I've been a firm believer in states rights for a long time.

You don't like the laws here, move there.

No, I am saying that SCOTUS has already said that marriage is a constitutional issue, and states, and the federal government, have the power, and a compelling interest, in defining it any way they want. They also pointed out that the law has long defined marriage as being between one man and one woman, dating all the way back to the days of King James. That is why DOMA, among other laws, is constitutional.

Until reversed from the bench or changed in the legislature.

I did not say she doesn't have a computer or an email. I said she doesn't waste her time on one, emailing and chatting up strangers.

thats not what you posted earlier.....you said YOU dont allow her to E-Mail FRIENDS....here your saying SHE doesnt E-Mail STRANGERS......you have just turned the whole tone of this conversation....from a strict Domineering Dad to a not so Domineering one....now most of what was said before may be moot....

She doesn't email anyone other than for school business (such as teachers), academic club participants, and family, on very rare occasion. Hope I cleared that up, as if it mattered.

Sure.

Cell phone is communication. I would not want to hire anyone, including a teenager, that did not have the trust of her parents to be responsible in using one.
Same with e-mails and a computer.
Not judging what a parent believes is appropriate if you do not trust a 16 year old to use a computer and cell phone then how can you trust them to work any place other than behind closed doors at home?

I wonder how teenagers got a job before cell phones existed.

By the way, how would you know if they have a cell phone or not? Do you only hire teens that walk into the interview talking on the phone or testing? If so, my guess is you get very few repeat customers.

What a stupid question QW.
Obviously you know nothing about running a business.
We have applications asking for cell phone number. EVERYONE asks for a cell phone number. Not all kids are asking "Do you want fries with that?".
How do I contact my employee that is taking documents to the court house if they do not have a cell phone? How do I give them their next assignment if they do not have a cell phone? How does the kid that delivers groceries to homebound seniors communicate with their boss if traffic is bad thus their scheduling will be off for that day as they have 6 deliveries to make? How does the kid that was harrassed at a pizza delivery call the police?
How about 1003 other reasons?

sure it matters.....you said one thing and then far into the conversation your story changed...:eusa_eh:

I didn't change anything. Perhaps you misread this post:
Quote: Originally Posted by Provocateur View Post

When I said emailing, that referred to her friends. The 'chatting with strangers' referred to the MySpace reference earlier.

She doesn't use email as a primary source of communication with anyone outside of school.

I didn't change anything. If it helps I can go back and add "emailing friends and chatting up strangers" if you think I am moving the goal posts.

And, I have no idea what a "trimmer" is so if someone wants to enlighten me on that, I would appreciate it.

You are lying now, Prov. You changed the characteristic of your statement. Now you are deliberately falsifying. Admit it. Stop it. Let's get back on track.

You are lying now, Prov. You changed the characteristic of your statement. Now you are deliberately falsifying. Admit it. Stop it. Let's get back on track.

:lol: If you say so.

Apparently you will read a sentence to fit some agenda you have. Have fun with that. I feel zero need to hold your hand through reading comprehension. Perhaps you have a friend that can help walk you through my posts and see that NADA changed in my discussion.

I'm done discussing this with you. I have actually bored myself, so i can imagine how others must feel at this point.

No,Prov, you stated something then denied that you said it.

That is what you did.

Apparently you will read a sentence to fit some agenda you have. Have fun with that. I feel zero need to hold your hand through reading comprehension. Perhaps you have a friend that can help walk you through my posts and see that NADA changed in my discussion.

I'm done discussing this with you. I have actually bored myself, so i can imagine how others must feel at this point.
this is typical for jokey, he reads something and doesnt actually understand what he read, then carries on and on about how he owned you and dances around never actually answering ANY question you ask him
he makes claims about you, with not a tittle of proof and then claims "everyone" can see he is right

this is typical for jokey, he reads something and doesnt actually understand what he read, then carries on and on about how he owned you and dances around never actually answering ANY question you ask him
he makes claims about you, with not a tittle of proof and then claims "everyone" can see he is right

divecon is bubbling again.

Go back and read the original statement and defenses. I correctly challenged them and demonstrated they were false comparisons. The original statements and defenses were biased and poorly supported..

For those of you who don't understand critical thinking skills: drop a note to Dr. Newt Gingrich, the historian, about whether this is a liberal or a conservative or a martian only principle. I am sure he will be glad to help you out.

Go back and read the original statement and defenses. I correctly challenged them and demonstrated they were false comparisons. The original statements and defenses were biased and poorly supported..

For those of you who don't understand critical thinking skills: drop a note to Dr. Newt Gingrich, the historian, about whether this is a liberal or a conservative or a martian only principle. I am sure he will be glad to help you out.
you just keep proving me correct in calling you jokey

:lol: I'm wondering if the term "pawned" is a large and important part of his vocabulary.

Higher order thinking skills. You're stuck at the lowest levels, I'm afraid.

HOTS: Higher-Order Thinking Skills

[divecon is pwnd all the time and you have just joined him. You said unequivocably X, Y, and Z, then you said something else and that you had not changed what you said earlier. You were called on it, denied, divecon jumped in and got pwnd, and now you got pwnd.

That's how false statements are handled here. Right, divecon? :lol:

Forum List

Back