Barack Obama vs Clarence Thomas?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
How much of a factor do you think affirmative action has played in the successes of each man? Which one do you think benefited more, if at all, from affirmative action?

:eusa_think:

Personally I could care less. Affirmative Action was a good step in rolling out parity for people that were terribly discriminated against in this country. It was a great program and very key in raising the skill sets of a great many people that would not otherwise have that access to training.

Personally I could care less. Affirmative Action was a good step in rolling out parity for people that were terribly discriminated against in this country. It was a great program and very key in raising the skill sets of a great many people that would not otherwise have that access to training.

At the time, affirmative action was needed. Rather than officially refusing to hire minorities, employers would just "choose" not to hire them

Like it or not....it worked

We now have much larger representation of women and minorities in the workforce and the world did not come to an end

• Banned
If I'm not mistaken, Thomas has claimed that he was actually hindered rather than helped by affirmative action. Says that it tainted his accomplishments, and that actually makes some sense. On the other hand, he could very well be in denial about getting some breaks as a direct result of affirmative action.

I read his auto-biography, he disliked AA. And also acknowledged it helped him even though he preferred to make his won mark.

its funny how conservative blacks are the ones that are often publicly hounded to explain how AA affected their lives while liberal blacks, when asked, fall back into a position that it is racist to ask the question.

I am for affirmative action when it gives competent blacks access to positions that they were not previously able to reach. I am against affirmative action when it makes race the major issue at the expense of scrutinizing the individual for the necessary attributes.

Forum List

Back