Barack Obama to dilute 'Buy American' plan after Europe threatens US with trade war

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mad Scientist, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    He hasn't been President two weeks and he's already pissing people off!:
    Barack Obama to dilute 'Buy American' plan after Europe threatens US with trade war - Telegraph
    I don't get it. Don't the Europeans understand? Obama is the first Black President. That should mean something to them because it means everything to us! He's gonna' unite the world with renewed efforts at diplomacy. Don't they know how historic his Presidency is? (My eyes are tearing up)

Meanwhile, somewhere in Plains Georgia, a peanut farmer is quietly thanking The Lord.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Just when I was getting my hopes up that we possibly, maybe had a president that would put America first.

3. StaleBO

StaleBO Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Get use to it... not only is the U.S. moving to the next seat, the middle class is going to the back of the bus.

4. Munin

Munin VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I don't think many politicians in Europe will risk it to attack Barack Obama, certainly not when he so popular in Europe. The only reason for a "trade war" could be because the US policy is becoming too protectionist and as a result European policies would become also protectionist.

And I don't think he really pissed Europeans of, they re too busy kissing his ass right now.

The bottom line is that American protectionism will lead to European, Canadian, ... protectionism.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  5. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    If any of us adopted a protectionist stance as a result of domestic politics then it would be a bad idea. The US has the largest economy on the world. It is also highly protectionist right now. If the US grew evern more protectionist it would cause problems for everyone else and for itself. This isn't the time for tariff walls.

6. indago

indago VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    A tariff isn't a wall, it's just an adjustment. And besides, the Congress was granted the power to lay a tax on imported goods. It's a good way to help pay down the debt.

-

7. mash107

mash107 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +82
    By forcing the middle class to a substandard living standard? Limiting their choices? Empowering incompetent organizations only because they reside here? Protectionism protects the rich shareholders of those protected industries and screws over all consumers everywhere. I'd rather just lower spending significantly to pay down our debt.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    LOL! You are being ironic here, right? America first?

9. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Backing down like that shows weakness more than if he had instead spoken to the leaders of the countries who didn't like it with diplomacy. Oh well, still 4 maybe 8) years to see if he does it right.

10. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    It shows he has learned a valuable lesson. Our fates are intertwined until we have production up enough to be able to replace what we need.

We don't need a trade war while most of the products we purchase are produced outside the nation.