Barack Obama to dilute 'Buy American' plan after Europe threatens US with trade war

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
He hasn't been President two weeks and he's already pissing people off!:
Barack Obama to dilute 'Buy American' plan after Europe threatens US with trade war - Telegraph
Barack Obama is expected to water down "Buy American" plans in his economic stimulus package after European diplomats privately threatened to launch a TRADE WAR in retaliation. :eek:
European Commission representatives and diplomats from the British, French, Canadian and Mexican embassies in Washington have all launched an intensive lobbying operation to convince senators to strike the provisions from the bill they will debate this week.
A Western diplomat in Washington made clear that otherwise a trade war was in prospect. "The EU has said it will not stand idly by and let this happen. I've not heard words that strong from Brussels in 20 years," the official said.
I don't get it. Don't the Europeans understand? Obama is the first Black President. That should mean something to them because it means everything to us! He's gonna' unite the world with renewed efforts at diplomacy. Don't they know how historic his Presidency is? (My eyes are tearing up)

Meanwhile, somewhere in Plains Georgia, a peanut farmer is quietly thanking The Lord.

Barack Obama to dilute 'Buy American' plan after Europe threatens US with trade war - Telegraph
Barack Obama is expected to water down "Buy American" plans in his economic stimulus package after European diplomats privately threatened to launch a TRADE WAR in retaliation. :eek:
European Commission representatives and diplomats from the British, French, Canadian and Mexican embassies in Washington have all launched an intensive lobbying operation to convince senators to strike the provisions from the bill they will debate this week.
A Western diplomat in Washington made clear that otherwise a trade war was in prospect. "The EU has said it will not stand idly by and let this happen. I've not heard words that strong from Brussels in 20 years," the official said.
I don't get it. Don't the Europeans understand? Obama is the first Black President. That should mean something to them because it means everything to us! He's gonna' unite the world with renewed efforts at diplomacy. Don't they know how historic his Presidency is? (My eyes are tearing up)

Meanwhile, somewhere in Plains Georgia, a peanut farmer is quietly thanking The Lord.

Just when I was getting my hopes up that we possibly, maybe had a president that would put America first.

Just when I was getting my hopes up that we possibly, maybe had a president that would put America first.
Get use to it... not only is the U.S. moving to the next seat, the middle class is going to the back of the bus.

I don't think many politicians in Europe will risk it to attack Barack Obama, certainly not when he so popular in Europe. The only reason for a "trade war" could be because the US policy is becoming too protectionist and as a result European policies would become also protectionist.

And I don't think he really pissed Europeans of, they re too busy kissing his ass right now.

The bottom line is that American protectionism will lead to European, Canadian, ... protectionism.

Last edited:
If any of us adopted a protectionist stance as a result of domestic politics then it would be a bad idea. The US has the largest economy on the world. It is also highly protectionist right now. If the US grew evern more protectionist it would cause problems for everyone else and for itself. This isn't the time for tariff walls.

This isn't the time for tariff walls.

A tariff isn't a wall, it's just an adjustment. And besides, the Congress was granted the power to lay a tax on imported goods. It's a good way to help pay down the debt.

-

A tariff isn't a wall, it's just an adjustment. And besides, the Congress was granted the power to lay a tax on imported goods. It's a good way to help pay down the debt.

-

By forcing the middle class to a substandard living standard? Limiting their choices? Empowering incompetent organizations only because they reside here? Protectionism protects the rich shareholders of those protected industries and screws over all consumers everywhere. I'd rather just lower spending significantly to pay down our debt.

Last edited:

LOL! You are being ironic here, right? America first?

Backing down like that shows weakness more than if he had instead spoken to the leaders of the countries who didn't like it with diplomacy. Oh well, still 4 maybe 8) years to see if he does it right.

Backing down like that shows weakness more than if he had instead spoken to the leaders of the countries who didn't like it with diplomacy. Oh well, still 4 maybe 8) years to see if he does it right.

It shows he has learned a valuable lesson. Our fates are intertwined until we have production up enough to be able to replace what we need.

We don't need a trade war while most of the products we purchase are produced outside the nation.

It shows he has learned a valuable lesson. Our fates are intertwined until we have production up enough to be able to replace what we need.

We don't need a trade war while most of the products we purchase are produced outside the nation.

However, he just backed down instead of talking with them. Discussing the situation with those leaders would have possibly created a better solution that would have benefited all of us. We need our country to start producing better quality product again, and by pushing them inward for at least a short time would have encourage our companies to improve our products to match other countries. Currently we are importing way more than exporting, and the demand for our products is much lower, even in our own country. If we could improve the products the entire trade market would improve.

However, he just backed down instead of talking with them. Discussing the situation with those leaders would have possibly created a better solution that would have benefited all of us. We need our country to start producing better quality product again, and by pushing them inward for at least a short time would have encourage our companies to improve our products to match other countries. Currently we are importing way more than exporting, and the demand for our products is much lower, even in our own country. If we could improve the products the entire trade market would improve.
It was a foolish idea, it proved foolish in 1929, it proved foolish again when Bush tried it with steel early in his Presidency (he also quickly turned that decision around), it again proved foolish here. Thankfully wiser heads prevailed before it became policy and had to be reversed by action rather than before action....

Protectionism is only a good idea when you are sure to be able to outlast those who would bring trade wars upon you, it is against our interest to start these things before we can produce.

It was a foolish idea, it proved foolish in 1929, it proved foolish again when Bush tried it with steel early in his Presidency (he also quickly turned that decision around), it again proved foolish here. Thankfully wiser heads prevailed before it became policy and had to be reversed by action rather than before action....

Protectionism is only a good idea when you are sure to be able to outlast those who would bring trade wars upon you, it is against our interest to start these things before we can produce.

True ... but this still only shows Obama is the same old stuff again. We do need something, regardless of what it is, if what was proposed won't work then work on it, don't just turn away from it altogether. Another of my favorite Simpsons quotes comes to mind: Why is it we always try things only once in this family?

Did he "back down" or did he look at the proposal and find it wasn't a good idea?

Did he "back down" or did he look at the proposal and find it wasn't a good idea?

He backed down. It was his original proposal.

By forcing the middle class to a substandard living standard? Limiting their choices? Empowering incompetent organizations only because they reside here? Protectionism protects the rich shareholders of those protected industries and screws over all consumers everywhere. I'd rather just lower spending significantly to pay down our debt.

"By forcing the middle class to a substandard living standard?": What do you suppose the living standard is of someone in this country who doesn't have a job?

"Limiting their choices?": How would choices be limited if the products are still available to choose from?

"Empowering incompetent organizations only because they reside here?: Incompetence destroys itself, eventually.

Don't you want to see the National Debt paid down, or are you also a proponent of perpetual debt?

Proponents of FREE TRADE are proponents of RACE TO THE BOTTOM

-

Last edited:
Barack Obama to dilute 'Buy American' plan after Europe threatens US with trade war

No nation ON EARTH is more prepared to win a trade war that the USA.

No other nation has the combination of natural resources and educated workforce to do without trade.

Of course, we should NOT get into a trade war because that is NOT the wisest way to deal with our current state.

But we must systematically renegotiate every trade agreement we have. WE need a FAIR TRADE police not this free trade fiasco we currently have.

America's UNEMPLOYED WORKER has been funding the industrial development of the third world for DECADES.

Now because of that, AMERICA is broke.

Charity begins at home, folks.

Last edited:

It quacks, it's a duck. The EU are just as bad. Protectionism is not the way to go.

Then you believe that massive unemployment and a regressive economy in this country IS the way to go.

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States" — Constitution of the United States - Article 1 § 8

Do you see anywhere in the Constitution that says that our government is to provide for the general welfare of foreign countries?

Forum List

Back