Barack Obama Commander in Chief

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Build Defense Capabilities for the 21st Century
• Fully Equip Our Troops for the Missions They Face: Barack Obama believes we must get vitally needed equipment to our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines before lives are lost. We cannot repeat such failures as the delays in deployment of armored vehicles, body armor and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles that save lives on the frontlines.

RECORD: Bill 181: This $120 billion dollar package was passed in the Senate by an 80-14 vote on May 24. The bill primarily focuses on funding for the Iraq war but also addresses other unrelated topics. Voted NO.
HR 1591 $3 billion for special vehicles designed to withstand roadside bombs, and it increases from 20 to 270 the number of heavy and light armored vehicles authorized to be purchased for force protection purposes in Iraq and Afghanistan. It does not fund two Joint Strike fighters and five of six electronic attack airplanes because lawmakers say they are not urgent. Vote Yes

• Review Weapons Programs: We must rebalance our capabilities to ensure that our forces have the agility and lethality to succeed in both conventional wars and in stabilization and counter-insurgency operations. Obama has committed to a review of each major defense program in light of current needs, gaps in the field, and likely future threat scenarios in the post-9/11 world.

RECORD: Defense authorization Bill HR4986 Vote NV, National Defense Authorization Act FY 2008 Vote NV, National Defense Authorization Act S Res. 1042, Vote No. Emergency Supplemental for DoD S Res 2340, Vote No, Funding for Operations in Iraq and Afghanistan with provisions for congressional oversight S. amdt 4817, Vote No.

“I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending. I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. I will slow our development of future combat systems,” Barack Obama

Okay the first statement means you have to actually know about defense in order to cut anything in it.

“And I actually always thought of the military as an ennobling and, you know, honorable option. But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end. We weren't engaged in an active military conflict at that point. And so, it's not an option that I ever decided to pursue." Barack Obama

Obama has no record on defense, so how can he advocate cutting spending on wasteful programs? What wasteful programs? The F-22, the F35? Or perhaps new weapons systems that are needed in the field. Unproven Missile defense systems? You mean you want to cut investments in missile defense? Like patriot, and the SM/3? Anyone see the recent sat. shoot down by the Navy? A missile defense system is proven in what way? In tests? In combat? If he means in tests then the man has really no clue about weapons systems at all. If he means combat, then what unproven missile defense system is he talking about? A Missile defense system is proven even if a missile never leaves the tube and an enemy does not fire based on the fact it acts as a deterrent. I’m sorry Mr. Obama it’s a little late on weaponizing space, China, Russia and we have also at points in time done this. Does he propose a unilateral disarmament of our space based defense capabilities? As for Future Combat Systems, what benefit does it serve to slow the development of Future systems other than to divert money into social programs at the expense of defending this nation? In short, our military needs Future Combat Systems in order to meet the needs of the military for defending this country as soon as possible. His record is abysmal on defense and support of the US Military, and it’s not surprising that his stance on military matters is so short sighted.

Obama has about the same experience on foreign policy as a VP nominee Sara Palin. Pretty scary considering he's actually running for the Presidential slot. We already got a taste of his judgment with what he said before Anbar ("It's not going to work" Mentality) to its relative success ("Don't mention it.").

Here is Barack Obama trying to explain his approach as Commander in Chief in the Troop surge. Well we could have do this , we could have do that , we could have do this, rather than acknowledge he was wrong. It does however, add weight to the point that his skills in defense matters are lacking to say the very least.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hEzGKQLmU4]YouTube - Couric vs. Obama on troop surge[/ame]

Forum List

Back