Banning Child Labor Led to Child Prostitution

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
23:49 - GOOD INTENTIONS CREATE CHILD PROSTITUTION:

Some of us have warned that banning child labour might force children into worse circumstances. Via Hårek Hansen I find a report from Norwegian television, where a respected Danish NGO explains that this is what they have just seen in Bangladesh:

"Due to Western pressure, Bangladesh outlawed work in garment factories for children under 14.

- When the children lost their jobs, many of them ended up on the streets, as prostitutes. We know that much, says Rasmus Juhl Pedersen, adviser in Save the Children, Denmark.

Somewhere between 30,000 and 100,000 children lost their jobs when the garment factories introduced the age limit.

To work as a prostitute, maid or further down the line of production is much worse than working in the garment industry, according to Juhl Pedersen.

Western companies are so afraid of being associated with child labour that the children are thrown out of the factories even though no one has prepared any alternatives.

Well-meaning western consumers who boycott products that can be tied to child labour can do more harm than good, according to Save the Children, Denmark.”

http://www.johannorberg.net/?page=displayblog&month=1&year=2008#2522

Usual garbage of our liberal buddies. In South Africa American Companies hired and promoted based on ability not race, so Blacks actually were getting into management positions and positions of power, well until the Liberals forced all American companies OUT of South Africa. ( of course I mean during the white only rule)

Everything that RGS doesn't agree with is a Liberal idea. What are you, new?

So neither of you two were old enough to remember the boycott of South Africa, of the Liberals forcing American business out even though it was the ONLY route at the time for blacks in that Country to get management jobs and be treated equally.

It is amazing how basic facts, open and available to everyone are so easily forgotten when they are inconvenient to the people doing the forgetting.

So neither of you two were old enough to remember the boycott of South Africa, of the Liberals forcing American business out even though it was the ONLY route at the time for blacks in that Country to get management jobs and be treated equally.

It is amazing how basic facts, open and available to everyone are so easily forgotten when they are inconvenient to the people doing the forgetting.

It still doesn't change the fact that you think everything wrong with the world is because of the "liberals".

It's not even interesting having discussion with you. And that's basically the reason why.

It still doesn't change the fact that you think everything wrong with the world is because of the "liberals".

It's not even interesting having discussion with you. And that's basically the reason why.

In all seriousness, until recently you dismissed all I said with, "You hate Ron Paul," without considering that I could agree with what your positions were, without being able to stomach the candidate. I do wish that all you Paulites would look for a candidate that relied on the better part of that movement, while distancing yourself from those that drive so many more away.

It's not only practical, it's a moral stand.

Yep... dammit, sucks that it broke the apartheid system. :eusa_whistle:

In all seriousness, until recently you dismissed all I said with, "You hate Ron Paul," without considering that I could agree with what your positions were, without being able to stomach the candidate. I do wish that all you Paulites would look for a candidate that relied on the better part of that movement, while distancing yourself from those that drive so many more away.

It's not only practical, it's a moral stand.

What did what I said to RGS have to do with the Ron Paul movement?

Nothing, other than 'boring' that it's one dimensional. He's not the worst offender, we all go there now and again.

Um, ok. It was boring, so let's get completely off-topic and mention Ron Paul.

Not gonna bite on that one Kath. There's plenty of other threads for that topic.

And, yeah, I'd say RGS is the worst here with the anti-liberal rhetoric. I'm not a liberal in most senses of the word, but I don't feel a need to blame the world's problems on liberals.

There isn't even a clear an concise definition of Liberal anymore. The very term itself has been hijacked by facets of ideologues throughout the last 50 or so years, and what it actually means has been shredded to smithereens.

Um, ok. It was boring, so let's get completely off-topic and mention Ron Paul.

Not gonna bite on that one Kath. There's plenty of other threads for that topic.

And, yeah, I'd say RGS is the worst here with the anti-liberal rhetoric. I'm not a liberal in most senses of the word, but I don't feel a need to blame the world's problems on liberals.

There isn't even a clear an concise definition of Liberal anymore. The very term itself has been hijacked by facets of ideologues throughout the last 50 or so years, and what it actually means has been shredded to smithereens.

Again, *sigh* the mention of you and RP was via boring and one dimensional. As for the blaming 'liberals', again, we happen to be in agreement.

I do remember the rules about trying to end Apartheid, if governments hadn't done what they did, worse would have happened than what followed. A people cannot be held down, unless the others stay in place with a boot on their necks. Apartheid was wrong, from the inception.

Yep... dammit, sucks that it broke the apartheid system. :eusa_whistle:

Except it did not, South Africa broke because internally they began to realize the stupidity of their position. All our pulling out did is deny blacks any chance to have real jobs and a power base to work from.

You may want to actually do a little research on South Africa, external pressure never broke them. Internally the power failed when the white citizens began to understand they could not hold on forever and that the system they ran was wrong.

Right, the liberals were wrong for caring about the working conditions of the slaves, uh I mean African work force in apartheid era South Africa. What were we thinking? Profits are always more important than human life.

Right, the liberals were wrong for caring about the working conditions of the slaves, uh I mean African work force in apartheid era South Africa. What were we thinking? Profits are always more important than human life.

Again, a little research might actually save you from ignorant comments like the above. American Companies doing business in South Africa had to abide by American practices, they HIRED blacks for management positions as well as whites and they did not employ " slave" labor. Although you do have the ignorant talking points down used to drive our companies out. The boycott did not harm the ruling Government at all. It did however hurt the blacks that used to be hired by said companies.

Again, a little research might actually save you from ignorant comments like the above. American Companies doing business in South Africa had to abide by American practices, they HIRED blacks for management positions as well as whites and they did not employ " slave" labor. Although you do have the ignorant talking points down used to drive our companies out. The boycott did not harm the ruling Government at all. It did however hurt the blacks that used to be hired by said companies.

Wow, they completely have you trained. Can you sit up, roll over and play dead too?

Wow, they completely have you trained. Can you sit up, roll over and play dead too?

Pavlov would have loved you for his experiments. You can not even think for your self. Just like all your other responses in other threads I notice you never provide a single source or quote.

Where is Shogun to demand you do so? Ohh wait, I forgot only those of us to the right have to reference anything, if your to left anything you say is either true or would be true but the great right wing conspiracy has destroyed all your evidence.

Pavlov would have loved you for his experiments. You can not even think for your self. Just like all your other responses in other threads I notice you never provide a single source or quote.

Where is Shogun to demand you do so? Ohh wait, I forgot only those of us to the right have to reference anything, if your to left anything you say is either true or would be true but the great right wing conspiracy has destroyed all your evidence.

And Hitler would have loved your unquestioning military-minded loyalty to support the greatness of a state bent on domination.

See, this is the kind of thing you say that loses even people who are inclined to agree with you...

apartheid wasn't about "slavery", it was about human dignity and a majority people having a say in their own destiny.

Talking about "slavery" and "hitler" just diminishes the horrible reality of both of those things and misapplies the terms.

Apartheid was bad enough on its own. One doesn't need to water down terms with their own powerful meanings in order to illustrate that.

Forum List

Back