Banker’s Insulting Waitress Tip Incites Class Warfare Between the 1% and the 99%

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
If I was the waitress he would have been wearing his leftovers out the door.

Just when you may have thought the ongoing battle between the 99% and the 1% was dying down, it may have been reignited. A wealthy banker left a $1.33 tip on a $133 lunch at the True Food Kitchen restaurant in Newport Beach, California.

To add insult to injury the word "tip" was circled on the receipt, and the banker wrote "get a real job" on the bill.

The author of the blog wrote, "mention the 99% in my boss' presence and feel his wrath. So proudly does he wear his 1% badge of honor that he tips exactly 1% every time he feels the server doesn't sufficiently bow down to his holiness."

In Washington state, a waitress received a tip of no money and advice scrawled on the receipt that told her she could "stand to lose a few pounds."

Banker

as if this sort of assholishness is new and only accounts for bankers or other financial sector workers.

The only reignition of this phony classwar nonsense is articles/blogs like these.

If I was the waitress he would have been wearing his leftovers out the door.

Just when you may have thought the ongoing battle between the 99% and the 1% was dying down, it may have been reignited. A wealthy banker left a $1.33 tip on a $133 lunch at the True Food Kitchen restaurant in Newport Beach, California.

To add insult to injury the word "tip" was circled on the receipt, and the banker wrote "get a real job" on the bill.

The author of the blog wrote, "mention the 99% in my boss' presence and feel his wrath. So proudly does he wear his 1% badge of honor that he tips exactly 1% every time he feels the server doesn't sufficiently bow down to his holiness."

In Washington state, a waitress received a tip of no money and advice scrawled on the receipt that told her she could "stand to lose a few pounds."

Banker

:lol: you're class warfare panties are showing.....:lol:

if you had hit me with leftovers I would have sued you for the dry cleaning bill and the ole Liberal weenie stand by- 'emotional distress' to make sure you eat kat food the rest of your life ( or you could just lives for years on the food stuck in that nasty beard).....
nyah nyah nyah....
dancing_smiley.gif

post+lame+desperate=fail....

Tips are meant as a reward for good service.

When the service is poor there logically should be no tip as to leave any is to encourage poor job performance.

But leaving no tip may lead the offending wait-person (wow, I'm just dripping PC!) to believe that it may have been an oversight.

In this instance $1.33 may have been too generous. More like $0.01 would have been more appropriate. When service is poor the cost of the meal is irrelevant. It's the value of the worker's performance that's the issue.

But please don't glue the penny to the table.

i don't have any problem leaving a small tip if the server didn't do their job. writing something like "get a real job" is over the line imo.

The Op link links to a HuffPo story. I thought it might be worth a giggle, so I checked it out...

Here's the 'receipt'...
BANKER-1-PERCENT-TIP-RECEIPT.jpg

That looks like a VERY goo photograph of the receipt. Not something the average cell phone would produce.

here's the UPDATE:
UPDATE: In a conversation with the Huffington Post, Mike Wilcox, the vice president of operations for True Food Kitchen, gave some insight into how the company was treating the incident since the receipt began receiving attention online. Wilcox said that the restaurant was "absolutely" treating the receipt as real, but to confirm its authenticity for certain, they were in the process of tracking down both the physical receipt at the restaurant and the computer-generated copy in their credit card system.

"The first thing we're going to do is to make sure the server is taken care of," Wilcox said, "and make sure the server wasn't treated badly or insufficiently tipped." He explained that they would be asking Breanna, the server named on the receipt, if she recalled the table and how her service was. "If her service was up to the level" they assume their employees would deliver, Wilcox said, "they would do everything they can to make it up to her somehow." Referring to online comments posted about the receipt, Wilcox remarked, "people are asking us to ban the person from the restaurant -- if more information came through on who the person is I first would love to talk to him."

UPDATE II: As many have noted, a true 1% tip correctly rounded to the nearest penny would have been $1.34, leaving this tip just shy of that threshold, mathematically speaking.
A... they don't know yet if it's real, but certainly could be.
B... Breanna is going to be one popular waitress for a while
C... Mr. 1% got the math wrong! :rofl:

Maybe next time he comes in he'll get a nice big loogie in his salad.

I rather suspect there won't be a next time for that restaurant from a customer who was that disgusted with the service, the food, or both.

But, yes, that would be a typical liberal approach to something they cannot comprehend. And, they won't take the valuable advice either.

I rather suspect there won't be a next time for that restaurant from a customer who was that disgusted with the service, the food, or both.

But, yes, that would be a typical liberal approach to something they cannot comprehend. And, they won't take the valuable advice either.

What's there not to comprehend about a douchebag insulting a waitress and fucking with her livelyhood?

tell your next waitress she doesn't have a real job. See where that gets you, Sparky.

i don't have any problem leaving a small tip if the server didn't do their job. writing something like "get a real job" is over the line imo.

Which leaves one wondering if it was "bad service" or a rebuked advance?

Good point. One thing that was lacking in the story was why he felt compelled to do that.

But according to his dinner mate it's not exactly uncommon for him to be such an asshole.

What's there not to comprehend about a douchebag insulting a waitress and fucking with her livelyhood?

What's there not to comprehend about expecting people to do their job and not rewarding incompetence or surly behavior? Oh, wait, that's what we do expect from liberals! Viz: The regime.

What's there not to comprehend about expecting people to do their job and not rewarding incompetence or surly behavior? Oh, wait, that's what we do expect from liberals! Viz: The regime.

you know she was incompetent or surly? How?

You are probably right. The waitress might have felt like being unpleasant was her way of paying back all those rich people she had to "serve" day after day.

Forum List

Back