Band of Brothers

Well I heard elsewhere that Winters in WE Stand Alone Together had not a luger but a P38? :confused: Also I heard that he like, 'accepted' it, but let the officer keep it, as sidearms then were not viewed as weapons of war, but signs of class and importance (of course, anyone would pull it out and start firing if in dire need to). But how would he have the pistol in the documentry if he didnt physically take it? Perhaps it was the P38 and not a Luger, but then why would he say that it was? Well, I suppose I may never know, or if I watch it again closely I may figure it out. Im gonna buy the series tomorrow, if I can get to Sams club tomorrow. I hope I can, but then I wouldnt get much sleep the next couple of days.

I have mixed feelings regarding the overall series...although I just finished wathcing the episode why we fight....it was extremely powerful and filled me with an overwhelming feeling of pain when they showed the concentration camps...sometimes when i watch the dvd I skip that part. its just so awful. i cannot believe people had to tolerate those conditions and live under that scum. so the series definatly is important. I had a friend back in high school who used to joke about the holocaust..maybe my generation is just desensitized but that is no laughing matter. the series pointed that out for me. it really shows the contrast of these germans living in these opulent houses holding themselves with dignity meanwhile 10 miles away hidden in the woods are their slave camps. talk about a dystopia masquerading as a utopia. it really was important that we defeated those tyrants and helped the jews establish their homeland

Last edited:
I admit, I haven't had the pleasure of viewing BoB, but the series certainly sounds interesting. I don't have TV reception but do watch DVDs. I'll have to see whether I can borrow it, or just wait until I have a few bucks extra.

I do recall watching "We Were Soldiers Once" with my SIL, before he joined the Army. His first reaction was to ask about the French in Vietnam. His last response was when the summary statement about soldiers not fighting so much for some vague concept as much as fighting for each other. He's on his third deployment to the Middle East and has buried a few friends. He understands much better now than he did then. (The book was really good!)

Originally posted by Semper Fi
it was almost more fun than cleaning a gun!

I really hope you aren't serious here.. you said you were starting Highschool next year so you are 13-14? What has the world come to with 13 year olds with guns.

[...]
Guns are not evil, wicked things. They are (to some) extremely interesting, ingeniously conceived devices which serve useful purposes. Because they are sometimes subject to misuse does not mean they have no constructive usefulness.

My father was a locksmith by trade but he also was a very proficient amateur gunsmith who made extra money buying, "sporterizing" and selling surplus WW-II infantry firearms. So although my brother and I were raised around guns of all kinds we were carefully taught early on they aren't toys and they have lethal potential.

Beginning in our early teens he often took us upstate to a friend's farm where we'd spend the day shooting rifles and handguns (and bows), so weapons held no special allure or fascination for us. We took them quite for granted, we understood them and were never inclined to misuse them.

Any thoughts on this mini-series? I recorded all of them with my brother when it was on the History Channel. I thought it was sobering and extremely well-deplicted. It captured war itself with seemingly no intent to score big in Hollywood. My favorites are the two episodes in Bastogne and the Hurtgen Forest, and the one, Why We Fight. What are your opinions?

Excellent mini-series. If you're interested in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, you should check out the HBO mini-series 'Generation Kill'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Kill_(TV_series)

Generation Kill is a 2008 HBO television miniseries based on the book of the same name by Evan Wright about his experience as an embedded reporter with the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion of the United States Marine Corps during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Forum List

Back