Band of Brothers

Yes, I must agree. It's settled, next time I go to work, I'll pick up the DVD collection. Then maybe I can get a few days to myself, and watch it. Theres so much I missed, I need to go back and watch them again.

Originally posted by Semper Fi
Yes, I must agree. It's settled, next time I go to work, I'll pick up the DVD collection. Then maybe I can get a few days to myself, and watch it. Theres so much I missed, I need to go back and watch them again.

Ditto but i don't have an extra $90 right now.

"Bastogne" was on tonight.

Combat medic running around without even a sidearm...

The whole episode one grim depiction of war, where a group of Americans are halfway around the world surrounded and dying to free complete strangers.

Nobility.

It should be a requirement for every European in high school to watch that. Hell, it should be a requirement in this country.

Another great episode.

Is the History Channel showing these uncut? I hate to watch something knowing it's been re-edited for TV.

I've tried to watch the History Channel's broadcast - never could get 'into' the show...probably because I started mid-way thru.

I loved and hated SPR...Very moving, uh, movie.

:)

for the record - I shot my first .22 rifle at age 5, first 20-gauge at age 7, first 30-30 at age 8, First M16 at age 19, first M60 at age 19, first M203 at age 19, first AT-4 at age 19, first 2.5" diameter Surface-to-air missile at age 19 - who said guns aren't good for kids???

:D

Originally posted by Dan
Is the History Channel showing these uncut? I hate to watch something knowing it's been re-edited for TV.

I'm not sure, but this particular episode was incredibly bloody, including a scene where a soldier gets the front part of his neck shot off. Pretty graphic. If it's edited, I can't imagine what they cut out.

they appear to be for the most part un cut with the exception of the word fuck. shit asshole damn it etc etc are all there but the fucks aren't. they have been overdubbed with the usual fudge friggin etc etc it's kind of dumb that everything else goes but no fuck

they appear to be for the most part un cut with the exception of the word fuck. shit asshole damn it etc etc are all there but the fucks aren't. they have been overdubbed with the usual fudge friggin etc etc it's kind of dumb that everything else goes but no fuck

I'm noticing that with a lot of things nowadays. Comedy Central has this thing where they supposedly show a movie 'uncut' at 1AM on Saturday nights, but almost every movie they've shown has let every word pass except the F bomb. Same with shows like The Shield or Nip/Tuck, which is more offensive, seeing a guy get his face stuck to the red hot eye of a stove, or hearing him say the f-word while he's doing it?

Originally posted by Dan
I'm noticing that with a lot of things nowadays. Comedy Central has this thing where they supposedly show a movie 'uncut' at 1AM on Saturday nights, but almost every movie they've shown has let every word pass except the F bomb. Same with shows like The Shield or Nip/Tuck, which is more offensive, seeing a guy get his face stuck to the red hot eye of a stove, or hearing him say the f-word while he's doing it?

I don't know about that. I saw the Southpark movie on Comedy Central and they aired EVERYTHING. If you've seen that movie, you know how vulgar certain parts are, including everything going on btwn Saddam and Satan.

Yeah, you're right, they did show that one unaired, but all the other supposedly 'uncut' movies they've shown have bleeped out the f-word. Which is so weird because the South Park movie is probably the most cheerfully offensive Hollywood movie I've ever seen, and they had no problem showing that completely uncut.:huh:

it's also the point of the sp movie that we'll let all the sex and violence go but a tiny little f bomb gets everyone panties in a bunch. best scene in that movie:

MR. GARRISON: Okay, children, let’s take our seats. We have a lot to learn today. [to Mr. Hat] We sure do, Mr. Hat. Okay, children, let’s start the day with a few new math problems. What is five times two?…C’mon children, don’t be shy. Just give it your best shot. Yes, Clyde?

CLYDE: Twelve?

MR. GARRISON: Okay. Now let’s try to get an answer from someone who’s not a complete retard. Anyone?…Come on, don’t be shy.

KYLE: I think I know the answer, Mr. Garrison.

CARTMAN: [mocking Kyle]

KYLE: Shut-up, fatboy!

CARTMAN: ‘ey! Don’t call me fat, you fuckin’ Jew!

MR. GARRISON: Eric! Did you just say the F-word?

CARTMAN: "Jew"?

KYLE: No, he’s talkin’ about "fuck." You can’t say "fuck" in school, you fuckin’ fatass.

MR. GARRISON: Kyle!

CARTMAN: Why the fuck not?

MR. GARRISON: Eric!

STAN: Dude, you just said "fuck" again!

MR. GARRISON: Stanley!

KENNY: Fuck.

MR. GARRISON: Kenny!

CARTMAN: What’s the big deal? It doesn’t hurt anybody. Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

MR. GARRISON: How would you like to go see the school counselor?

CARTMAN: How would you like to suck my balls?

KIDS: [gasping]

MR. GARRISON: What did you say?

CARTMAN: Oh, I-I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Actually, what I said was: [speaking through bullhorn] "How would you like, to suck my balls, Mr. Garrison?"

KYLE: Holy shit, dude.

Hell, you guys have already hit on most of my favorite BoB scenes! I can think of a few funny moments, though.

Easy Company is doing it's customary Friday night march - 12 miles with full packs in the dark. Pvt. Randelman, fed up, asks Lt. Winters why only Easy, out of all the companies, has to do this.

Lt. Winters: " Why do you think?"

Pvt. Randelman: "Because Lt. Sobell hates us, sir."

Lt. Winters: "Lt. Sobell doesn't hate Easy Company, Pvt. Randelman. He just hates you."

Pvt. Randelman, to a chorus of laughter and catcalls from the entire company: "Thank you, sir!"

Pvt. Hoobler gets into a "conversation" with a British soldier, dressed in a German uniform. The Tommy shoots an utterly unintelligible stream of Cockney at Hoobler, finishing with, "Know wha' I mean?" Hoobler smiles and says, "Not really."

Capt. Winters wakes Capt. Nixon by heaving the contents of Nixon's washbowl at him. Only...it's not water in the bowl. Later, on the Jeep ride to headquarters, Nixon is grousing about how things are being run, then asks Winters, "Are you listening to me?" Winters drily replies, "Hanging on every word."

What an outstanding series. I've seen it several times. I guess my favorite chapter, section, or whatever, is "The Breaking Point."

Originally posted by musicman

Pvt. Hoobler gets into a "conversation" with a British soldier, dressed in a German uniform. The Tommy shoots an utterly unintelligible stream of Cockney at Hoobler, finishing with, "Know wha' I mean?" Hoobler smiles and says, "Not really."

I like that he tries to walk off with the guy's Luger.

Yeah. (I dont know if it was the same guy or not) Didn't he take it off the german on horseback in the breaking point? After that, he shot himself in the leg with it. Then Winters either gives it to Hoobler or a differant guy. But yeah, he ends up getting his Luger for his kid brother.

i think it was lipton(donnie walhberg) giving it to malarky after those two guys got when they were in their hole.

after they got what? hit? So Lipton gave the luger to malarky, right?

Oh, and does anyone know if Winters really accepted the Luger from the German officer in Points? I've heard both that he did and didnt accept it.

And does anyone know if Spiers really gunned down the prisoners during DDay?

it was after those guys got hit. they were calling malarkey to the hole they were in and it was shelled. if you watch the documentary "we stand alone together" which is part of band of brothers winters does have a pistol that he was given that he said wasen't fired during the war and hasen't been fired since he got. as far as spiers goes who knows. maybe it's in the book. i don't know i never read it.

Originally posted by Semper Fi

And does anyone know if Spiers really gunned down the prisoners during DDay? [/B]

Only the dead.

The production itself puts no eyewitness at the scene, and nothing but rumor backs the claim. My guess is this particular case is baseless, but not beyond reason.

The fact was, there was no possible was to secure prisoners in the opening operation behind the lines. Any surrender to the dispersed paratroopers (who were constantly on the move early on) would involve only two choices: Disarm and release knowing full well they would return rearmed later. Or execution.

Any other option was not possible until secure bases could be established. In most cases, the Paras evaded combat to defend set objectives, and few captures really were really attempted.

Then again, maybe in fact Spiers was rushed. The series provides for that.

But any opinions on this history channel curriculum for high school students? It seems to take this film a little too seriously...

http://www.historych.com/classroom/pdf/bandofbrothers/BandofBrothers2.pdf

'When Lieutenant Spiers offers cigarettes to German prisoners and then shoots them, why didn’t any of the G.I.’s say anything?'

However:

"Band of Brothers is not a documentary. It was made as a work of dramatic entertainment."

"The story—and it is a story—depicts handsome, earnest young men who face daunting challenges and bravely achieve great victories. Does Band of Brothers romanticize the story
of Easy Company? Does it romanticize World War Two, or war in general? Is it significant that The History Channel’s on-air broadcast of Band of Brothers was sponsored by the U.S.
Army?"

My supplentary text supplants a dramatic depiction of a US war crime with actual fact.

Normandy Massacres WW II

http://www.mackillers.8m.com/normandy.html

I honestly don't trust the huge liberal base of high school teachers to help students answer any of the questions in the curriculum. Much of this is way too open to political bias.

Forum List

Back