Band of Brothers

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Any thoughts on this mini-series? I recorded all of them with my brother when it was on the History Channel. I thought it was sobering and extremely well-deplicted. It captured war itself with seemingly no intent to score big in Hollywood. My favorites are the two episodes in Bastogne and the Hurtgen Forest, and the one, Why We Fight. What are your opinions?

my mom and dad got the series for me last christmas i think. pretty awesome collection!

If you get the whole series on DVD it comes in this metal bound box which is cool enough to take along in combat.

Anyone who enjoyed "Saving Private Ryan" and the realistic, staccatto rythym of combat photography involved in that movie, would positively enjoy this sixteen hour series.

saving private ryan was excellent! but i still think the one that i like the most was blackhawk down. mostly because it was in my time. i missed that deployment by about 45 days!

I love both of them..that's just because i'm a big WWII buff..and history it's self just is so intersting..well from WWII on..before that i'm not really into...

yeah, I like history, too. I did a powerpoint project on DDay before Christmas, it was almost more fun than cleaning a gun! Yeah, BoB is going to be the Patton of the future.

Band of Brothers is an awesome movie. I also liked the Bastogne episode, but my really favorite part is towards the end when Maj Winters runs into Cpt Sobel and makes him salute. That was priceless!

Originally posted by Semper Fi
yeah, I like history, too. I did a powerpoint project on DDay before Christmas, it was almost more fun than cleaning a gun! Yeah, BoB is going to be the Patton of the future.

Did you see on USA there is going to be a movie called Dwight..it's about days before DDay..it looks good and also on the history channel there is going to be shows on DDay..ones before DDay and what happen after..they look good too just wanted to let you know..

Yes. This being the 60th anneversary, of course stuff will be on! I want to do something to commemorate this... any ideas?

Originally posted by Semper Fi
it was almost more fun than cleaning a gun!

I really hope you aren't serious here.. you said you were starting Highschool next year so you are 13-14? What has the world come to with 13 year olds with guns.

But anyways! I watched all of them I thought they were very good.

Originally posted by CrazyLiberal
I really hope you aren't serious here.. you said you were starting Highschool next year so you are 13-14? What has the world come to with 13 year olds with guns.

Not everyone subscribes to your anti gun idiocy. Guns are great toys for children.

Nothing wrong with teenagers understanding gun safety and staring good cleaning habits.

YES GUNS ARE GOOD TOYS FOR CHILDREN. Because we know that toys should be deadly killing machines. Anti-gun idiocy? You think that gun crimes will go down if more people have guns to defend themselves from attacks.. they only go upp uppp UP.

i taped them back when they were on hbo during the first run. going to get them on dvd as well. one thing i don't get about them on the history channel: all the blood and guts are there as well as the swearing:shit asshole etc etc with the exception of fuck. wtf? why just cut out that one word? oh well.

Excellent miniseries. If i had $90, i'd buy that on DVD. I love its realism. Not really much hollywood cliche in it at all. Just true war grit.

And Crazy liberal, this is the movie review forum if you want to debate a topic go up top. No one whats to hear your shit down here.

YES GUNS ARE GOOD TOYS FOR CHILDREN. Because we know that toys should be deadly killing machines. Anti-gun idiocy? You think that gun crimes will go down if more people have guns to defend themselves from attacks.. they only go upp uppp UP.

Care to prove this point in another thread?

I never got to see them on HBO so now I've been remembering to record them on The History Channel. (I missed it when they played them all back to back.)

I believe so far they've had...

1. Curahee
2. Day of Days
3. Caretan

I think there are 13 or so episodes?

I loved Saving Private Ryan so I was excited about this mini-series as soon as I heard about the Hanks/Spielberg association. I knew those two wouldn't let me down, and so far it's been spectacular.

Winters is the epitome of what an American soldier and an American hero is.

Cheers to that, Zhukov! Winters and later Spiers are the two greatest of that mini-series. I love it when Spiers runs through the Germans during the charge of Foy. I have the history channel on right now, BoB will be on in 45 minutes. Tonight is Crossroads, I believe.

Originally posted by Zhukov
I never got to see them on HBO so now I've been remembering to record them on The History Channel. (I missed it when they played them all back to back.)

I believe so far they've had...

1. Curahee
2. Day of Days
3. Caretan

I think there are 13 or so episodes?

I loved Saving Private Ryan so I was excited about this mini-series as soon as I heard about the Hanks/Spielberg association. I knew those two wouldn't let me down, and so far it's been spectacular.

Winters is the epitome of what an American soldier and an American hero is.

If you have a free 3 day weekend, I highly recommend you beg/borrow/or steal the entire DVD series, bolt the doors, unplug the phone, draw the blinds, and watch each episode in order and at least twice.

Some of the greatest things about this series:

(Without too many spoilers)

Winter's bravery and compassion, a true leader with genuine humanity.

The smiling German youth who suddenly realizes he is about to die... the most moving moment in the series.

A Curahee grudge finally set to rest. "Salute the rank, not the man!".

The tragedy, sacrifice, and trumph of Bastogne. Mixed feelings from the victory given the cost.

The backstory to Spiers from Day of Days, hilarious moment when he offers a cigarette to one of the troops. The development of his character as a subject of legend and how he himself adresses it, is fascinating.

How even the most gruff characters such as Malarkey become the most endearing of fellow among the Company.

The burning pride in the eyes of a wife of a German commander, which are replaced with shame as she and the other townspeople bury the dead from the concentration camp nearby.

The believable character development, combat realism, excellent acting, encompassing story line, historical accuracy... I can't say enought good things about the series.

Forum List

Back