Ban rat poison - Save lives

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
D-Con Be Gone | Audubon Magazine

D-Con Be Gone

California bans rat poisons that are killing the state's birds, but the fight isn't over.
By Jane Braxton Little
Published: July-August 2014

Rats accomplished what common sense could not. Raptors Are The Solution, a San Francisco Bay Area-based network of nonprofit groups organized by Lisa Viani and including Audubon, scientists, and state and local governments, persuaded the California Department of Pesticide Regulation to ban over-the-counter sales of powerful anticoagulant rat poisons like d-CON. Every year the poisons, which deplete the body of vitamin K, a nutrient necessary for blood clotting, kill thousands of birds of prey that devour tainted rodents; kit foxes, wild pigs, and Pacific fishers have fallen to the poisons, too. It can take several days for victims to bleed to death.

The statewide restrictions will slash the number of poisons available over the counter to homeowners and provide a process for government agencies to respond more effectively to incidents of wildlife exposure, helping the very animals that naturally help curb rodent populations, says Stella McMillin, a wildlife investigator with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. "This is huge," she says. "It addresses the biggest wildlife problem we have in relation to pesticides."

To achieve these groundbreaking limits, RATS pressured state agencies by papering subways with posters of dying Red-shouldered Hawks and Barn Owls and by promoting videos of stricken wildlife on social media. "If people know about the impacts, they will choose an alternative for rodent control," says Nancy Wenninger, Mt. Diablo Audubon conservation chair. Her Audubon chapter, along with 16 others and Audubon's California state office, helped with the statewide grassroots effort, from Facebook posts to letter-writing.

The restrictions, which take effect July 1, are a crucial first step. Still, legal challenges await.

w1_dcon_owl_0.jpg

I've seen many raptors die in rehab of poisoning. If you put out poison for rodents, you are also poisoning many other animals.

Use snap traps. They're quick and humane and kill only one animal. Better yet, don't try to kill rodents yourself. Instead, encourage birds of prey and snakes - both of whom do the dirty work for you.

Use snap traps. They're quick and humane and kill only one animal. Better yet, don't try to kill rodents yourself. Instead, encourage birds of prey and snakes - both of whom do the dirty work for you.
How the f*ck you do that?

Glue traps work great plus there's no poison!

Glue traps are needlessly cruel and kill other animals besides the targets.

Just because there are other causes of death is not sufficient reason to ignore one that kills so many.

Glue traps are horrific. I would strongly advise against it and the poison they are using D - Con is despicable. I don't believe in poison. Totally wicked.

Birds run into buildings and die. They get hit by cars.

Get over the rat poison bullshit.

Fuck you. Your posts are all bullshit. Since you never have anything of substance or even interest, why not STFU? Are you so desperate for attention you post without thought? Here's some attention, you're an asshole and dumb as a rock.

I took these photos of birds brought into rehab after being caught in glue traps. None survived.

If you don't like my photos, I'm sure you could Google more.

Pictures222_zps7fad2ed2.jpg

Pictures221_zpsaa05c396.jpg

Pictures223_zps60bda500.jpg

Glue traps beat having to clean the rat droppings out of the eating utensil drawer every so often.

Glue traps beat having to clean the rat droppings out of the eating utensil drawer every so often.

Uh, its not like there are only two choices here but let me tell ya, I ain't eatin' at your house.

And, I suggest you don't either.

:eusa_hand:

Adopt a cat from the shelter. They will keep the mice / rats away and it will be a win - win situation. Glue traps are utterly cruel. I wish they were banned and taken off the market, Mad Scientist. It is very inhumane way to kill a mouse. The little creatures are suffering - starved to death or chewing their little legs off to get free. Ohh! It is too terrible to imagine what they must go through! Poisoning them is just as bad. It isn't right.

Have a cat and still had mice........

You can use a trap that is catch and release. When the mouse is inside the trap you take them out to the field and release them. Or you could make your own little contraption with a little door that closes behind them so you can release the mouse to the wild. I find you are quite resourceful, having read your posts. I am sure you will manage.

I took these photos of birds brought into rehab after being caught in glue traps. None survived.

If you don't like my photos, I'm sure you could Google more.

Pictures222_zps7fad2ed2.jpg

Pictures221_zpsaa05c396.jpg

Pictures223_zps60bda500.jpg

That is utterly heartbreaking and horrific! It is also necessary to show such photographs because some people do not realize the horror and suffering these glue traps cause to wild life - birds, mice, rats, anything living should never be subjected to this kind of torture!

Forum List

Back