Ban or Censor Video Games, Not Guns?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Foxfyre, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,500
    I don't think that is what Circe is saying though Uncensored. I haven't been seeing Circe's posts long enough to say that for sure, but I don't get the sense that he (she?) is a big government type. But I will let him/her define 'democratization' and ask for that definition before we make a misjudgment here/

I took it though that we did a lot better job of self regulation in that earlier generation. The movie industry pretty well regulated itself and municipalities did the rest by prohibiting/banning what they considered unacceptable or obscene content. It wasn't until the Warren Court that the federal government started getting involved and, in my opinion, that was a violation of the Founders' vision that we would be a people who govern ourselves.

So, depending on the definition he gives us, if he is kind enough to do so, I don't think it was democratization so much as still another case of big government interference that has obliterated Mayberry in favor of ever pushing the envelope for more gratuitious violence, sex, saliciousness, profanity, and all those things that do not improve us as a people. And I say that not as a prude who has anything against First Amendment rights in any shape or form. I just think the 'anything goes' attitudes of our modern society might not be good in every way for the kids.

2. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,003

Circe is talking about ethics and morals.
    Not exposing our children to violence and sex is ethics and it does not silence anyone.
    The individual morals of this nation is going down the tubes.
    It is not freedom to do what ever you want, say whatever you want,whenever you want to. Our society is breaking down because of these types of attitudes.
    Ethics and morals structure the Society into being good and kind to each other. Respect for parents and teachers and other children. Respect for all life.
    Sensationalizing our news, movies, video games,music and political legislation is taking us down the wrong path.
    Doing what ever feels good, is not good at all and it is this freedom to do and say anything you wish, attitude that is turning us into a horrible society.
    No Respect, no common sense and no individual accountability is ruining us.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Uncensored2008

Uncensored2008 Libertarian Radical Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,737
    I don't know.

She went on quite the rant against democracy. Given the climate in Obama's America of the desire for and push toward dictatorship by the left, it warrants clarification.

Honestly, I don't think Mayberry ever existed. I remember the 60's as a more violent time, not less. I remember fights and murders as more common, though less hyped by the press.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. Uncensored2008

Uncensored2008 Libertarian Radical Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,737
    Doesn't the call to ban violent media silence expression by it's very nature?

Very true, and by design due to a concerted effort by the "counter-culture" to destroy any semblance of ethics or values in America.

I don't agree.

The breakdown is because the consequence of exercising freedom have been removed. Because our laws are designed to stymy the natural consequence of anti-social behavior.

Yes, but I don't think it is video games that change this. Our contempt for human life revolves around the celebration of abortion and the promotion of "gangsta culture" as desirable.

I view it as a symptom, not the cause of the disintegration of society.

I'm not disagreeing, but there is far more to this than TV and video games. What is it that has parents take their 7 year old to get a "thug life" tattoo? Why do we dress 6 year old girls up as prostitots?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,500
    Mayberry did exist for me. I grew up in a town just like that. Our parents didn't worry about us being snatched by some pervert. We still shopped at the hobby shop run by the local pedophile and we knew to keep moving so he couldn't get close--the kids giggled about that a lot. We had the run of the neighborhood because everybody's parents parented everybody and the only rules for where we could go was that we had to be within earshot of Mom's voice after sundown.

We saluted the flag with 'under God' and all, sang Christian carols in the school Christmas program--plus a coupld of Hannukah ones for the Jewish kids--and political correctness never occurred to any of us because we were taught to treat all people, especially our elders, with respect. And Rhett Butler saying ""Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" to Scarlett O'Hara was quite ground breaking.

By my junior and senior years of highschool, we had moved to Santa Fe that was a really tough little town in those days. I was exposed to the 'gang' group warfare concept for the first time and you did have to become street smart and watch your back more and realize that some situations were dangerous. But the basic values weren't that much different than my former home town. And we still were perfectly safe at school with no extra security.

Nobody worried about some nut gunniing down anybody, much less a classroom full of school kids.

6. Missourian

Missourian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,627
    Excellent post Paul, I must spread some reputation around...

It's also human nature to strive to find order in chaos...to find logic in the actions of others so we can 'Oh, here it is, a motivation' and we can put it in a box and study it, analyze it, formulate a solution, solve the problem, construct a defense.

It allows us to feel a measure of control...whether real or illusionary.

When the answer is impossible to divine, it shatters that sense the universe is ordered, and that all it's variables can be cataloged, examined and managed.

7. Missourian

Missourian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,627
    :lol: +1 for a Hitchhiker allusion.

8. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,500
    However, should we not take notice of changing patterns? Of destructive trends? Or do we allow the slow drip, drip, drip of a negative thing become common place and shrugged off as the way it is; the way it has always been?

Nobody drugged ADD kids when I was a kid. I probably had the syndrome as sitting quietly with my hands folded and paying attention in class was not my best thing. But whatever that was, I learned quite well, made reasonably good grades, and got a pretty decent education. So why is there so much more ADD and similar syndromes in kids now?

I had never heard of autism until the movie "Rainman" came out. I did know there were mentally challenged folks but certainly the number of kids diagnosed with Asperger's and Autism was extremely rare in the previous generation and seems to be so common now. Why is that?

You went to the Principal's office or detention for using certain words and behavior back then. No biggie. We could have a pen knife on a key chain or a jackknife in our pocket or a shotgun in the rack in our pickup trucks and nobody thought anything about it. Such could result in immediate expulsion or put a school into lockdown now. So what has changed?

Shouldn't we at least pay some attention to this?

9. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,003
    I was not talking just about TV and video games.
    I am talking about the whole of society.
    This is some of what I am talking about - Feel good.
    It makes the parents feel good to have the tattoos,
    It's Moms living out their fantasy of wanting to be a beauty queen or what ever they themselves could not do. Not thinking about the consequences of what they are doing to their children.
    Banning violent videos games to children, until they become responsible adults is not silence.
    Having TV shows in prime time that teach our children from right and wrong like they had in the 50's.
    It helped to teach our children who did not have good parents back then.
    We had enough Dad's and Moms back then who were drunkards and drug addicts. But the shows taught the children of dysfunctional homes how things should be.

10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,500
    I honestly had not looked at it from that perspective, Peach, but you may be onto something. I was physically, emotionally, and verbally abused by my father and my mother, dealing with chronic alcoholism, was incapable of dealing with it and allowed it to happen. I should be the most dysfunctional, screwed up adult on the planet. (Okay, some think I am but that's a topic for another thread.)

But it was the social influences of my childhood that molded me and helped me reject the terrible role models of my parents. And that made me determined that my own kids would have it a lot better. All around me I saw normal people living normal lives and I emulated that rather than my parents. Today's children living with self absorbed, drugged out, workaholic, or sex obssessed parents don't have too many positive role models on television or in the movies or in their video games to emulate.