Ban on toy guns...

AtlantaWalter

Nov 8, 2003
small cave outside Atlanta
I especially like the part where they wrestled the 7 year old to the ground....surprised they didn't call the SWAT team!!!

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/polit...245/detail.html

State Lawmakers Consider Banning Replica, BB Guns
Legislators Consider Bill After Toy Guns Were Used In Crimes

POSTED: 4:34 PM EST February 2, 2004

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- A bill taking aim at toy guns is picking up steam among some Maryland lawmakers. The legislation would ban the sale of toy guns that look like the real thing and the sale of pellet and BB guns would also be outlawed, WBAL-TV 11 News reporter David Collins reported.

Baltimore City Delegate Curt Anderson, D-District 43, is co-sponsoring legislation ( House Bill 45) that leaves nothing to chance. The bill would impose a statewide ban on the sale toy guns that resemble real firearms. The prohibition would include BB and pellet guns and, in effect, take toys out of the hands of children, Collins said.

"We want to take toys that look like real guns off the market, and in that sense, yes, it does take dangerous toys away from kids," Anderson said.

Parents are split on the issue.

"I'd be afraid [of] a toy gun, I'd be afraid even if it looked like a toy gun. In the dark, you could never tell," Cassandra Gilmer said.

Baltimore City Delegate Wants To Take Toy Guns Off The Market

"My personal feeling is that banning something is not the best way to handle a situation. I think that parents have the responsibility to teach their children about the responsible use of guns," Marlyn Drey said.

"If you do sell toys that look like the real thing, it might encourage the violent behavior, and also kids might be confused about what's real and what's not," Annapolis resident Kelsey Berdeguez said.

Last April, a 7-year-old boy used a toy gun (pictured, above left) in an alleged attempt to rob an Anne Arundel County video store. Police thought the weapon was real and wrestled the child to the ground to disarm him. Last November, Annapolis City Alderwoman Cynthia Carter set aside a city proposal to ban toy guns in an effort to gain more support.

"The whole thing smacks of political correctness," Annapolis Alderman Bob Toronto said in debate of the proposed city bill on Nov. 10, 2003.

Anderson's House bill has influential co-sponsors, in addition to the momentum of a number of toy stores who have voluntarily agreed to stop selling the look-alike guns.

A 7 year old had no business being anywhere unsupervised by his parents! But I look at today's society and see kids starting everything quite early - sex, drugs and now attempt to rob a store, amazing!!!!! I think they should put a ban on the guns, if this is the way kids are going to use them.

This is just plain stupid ! We played with toy guns all the time yet me and my friends never shot anyone. Don't blame the toys blame the society we currently live in !

We always look for a quick fix instead of trying to find the root causes and correct them !

Your 100% right eric, but because of today's society, this is why I think they should ban them. It is stupid! we all had them when we were little too, but never tried holding up a store with them. A cop never had to wonder either whether or not it was a toy gun or real, because KIDS never had disrespect for the law! not like today anyway.

Originally posted by eric
This is just plain stupid ! We played with toy guns all the time yet me and my friends never shot anyone. Don't blame the toys blame the society we currently live in !

We always look for a quick fix instead of trying to find the root causes and correct them !

Indeed...I was using real guns when I was as young as 9 years old and my father and grandfather took me hunting on a regular basis. I learned gun safety and handling at my father's knee. It never occured to me, then or now, to turn a gun against someone in anger.

But we do live in a violent society where a seriously distorted notion of "rugged individualism" has been foisted upon us. Our children learn about gun handling from movies and tv rather than licensed instructors and responsible adults. They learn nothing of the real consequences.

The right to own a gun comes with tremendous responsibility for the consequences of its use...Something Hollywood simply doesn't teach.

This is true Bully!!! but not all parents either, teach their children the way they should be taught. It's hand them a gun, it's ok to go outside and shoot cans, bottles, whatever, but when not properly shown the safety or supervision, bottles and cans become boring! This is both parental and TV that has done this.

My son got his first pistol when he was 6 years old. Today, after graduating #1 in his high school class, earning a degree in Physics, and being in his first year of med school, I don't think the "gun" can be blamed for the bad behavior of people or else he would not have achieved so much since the "evil gun" would have led him astray. It is the degradation of morals in America and the government sticking their noses in people's lives telling them how to raise their kids that is to blame, and parents who do not care or are too stupid to care.

Looking back on my childhood....I would be classified a hoodlem today...our group was always down at the creek plunking cans with our 22's.... always had at least 1 of 3 blades on me...never hurt nobady nor even gave that a second thought...cowboys and Indians isnt politicly correct today...cant play cops and robbers because toy guns are used...Let the kids be kids...they grow up way to soon now-a days anyway...scared of a toy gun...dumbasses

Forum List

Back