Ban Non-Taxpayers From Voting

Contumacious

Radical Freedom
Aug 16, 2009
Adjuntas, PR , USA
Taxes and Voting

by Walter E. Williams

Having 121 million Americans completely outside the federal income tax system, it's like throwing chum to political sharks. These Americans become a natural spending constituency for big-spending politicians. After all, if you have no income tax liability, how much do you care about deficits, how much Congress spends and the level of taxation? Political calls for tax cuts and spending restraints have little appeal.

.:rolleyes:

I don't pay any fed income tax and I care a whole fuckload about the deficit, how congress spends and the level of taxation. How bout we all pay a certain % of our income, across the board. Seems fair. Congress? Cut spending? Congress? Has hell frozen over??

Taxes and Voting

by Walter E. Williams

Having 121 million Americans completely outside the federal income tax system, it's like throwing chum to political sharks. These Americans become a natural spending constituency for big-spending politicians. After all, if you have no income tax liability, how much do you care about deficits, how much Congress spends and the level of taxation? Political calls for tax cuts and spending restraints have little appeal.

My, how the retards are out in force today....:cuckoo:

what about those who pay no taxes because their investments and business deductions bring their taxable income to zero or even below zero? I know quite a few of those people including one who spent his iraq wartime bonus money on houses to rent out for extra income. should he and other people like him not be able to vote?

Taxes and Voting

by Walter E. Williams

'Walter E Williams' is a 'retard'? :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
what about those who pay no taxes because their investments and business deductions bring their taxable income to zero or even below zero? I know quite a few of those people including one who spent his iraq wartime bonus money on houses to rent out for extra income. should he and other people like him not be able to vote?

Then ban them from voting as well.....unless of course they are Republicans....:eusa_whistle:

Then ban them from voting as well.....unless of course they are Republicans....:eusa_whistle:

Funny.. everyone except the OP is against what he stated... even those of us registered as a republican

This may be a SLIGHT issue.

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

A little thing called the 24th amendment. So an Income tax voting requirement would require a constitutional amendment. good luck with that.

Taxes and Voting

by Walter E. Williams

This idea is retarded, on a whole truckload of levels.

Instead of stripping people of the right to representation based on their payment or lack thereof of ONE specific tax, if you dislike the tax system so much why not just do the serious work to change it? I hear it talked about time and again, but who's really out there pushing nonstop for serious tax code reform?

This may be a SLIGHT issue.

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

A little thing called the 24th amendment. So an Income tax voting requirement would require a constitutional amendment. good luck with that.

You beat me to it. ;)

Good call.

Ban all rednecks from voting :razz:

stupid people not understanding basic rights in this country:evil:

Funny.. everyone except the OP is against what he stated... even those of us registered as a republican
I though the "rolleyes" emoticon meant the OP didn't like what was being said.

Dr. Williams does seem to be a well-educated and well-respected economist and sometime tax pundit. Even so, I could not disagree more violently with his portrayal of the poor as being "unworthy" of voting power. I have to admit, I am bumfuddled that a man who (looks like) he's black would raise the spectre of poll taxes again.

It would have helped if Dr. Williams had addressed his POV on how his proposal could survive constitutional challenge.

The 24th Amendment reads:

1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Seems pretty absolute to me. No citizen's right to vote can be denied or abridged by reason of any failure to pay any tax.

Given the evil history of poll taxes and other efforts to disenfranchise black Southern citizens, this is one proposal it's a little hard to discuss dispassionately.

Voting Rights and African Americans

My knee-jerk reaction is "NEVER AGAIN". I have yet to hear any reason to change that.

Taxes and Voting

by Walter E. Williams

I know Walt and he is no retard, and he believes in very little of the reactionary drivel that he spews. Asked once about John C. Calhoun being a hero of his, in reply, he simply smiled with a smile of "cha ching."

I don't pay any fed income tax and I care a whole fuckload about the deficit, how congress spends and the level of taxation. How bout we all pay a certain % of our income, across the board. Seems fair. Congress? Cut spending? Congress? Has hell frozen over??

Of course, the measure won't pass.

99% of the congressmen are purveyors of the welfare/warfare state. They provide largesse, the parasites provide power.

Of course, the measure won't pass.

99% of the congressmen are purveyors of the welfare/warfare state. They provide largesse, the parasites provide power.

Contumacious, not especially well-educated on matters of campaign finance law are you? How about lobbyists and ethics? Gifts to elected officials? Bribery laws? How are the poor or members of the military supposed to be flinging millions of dollars at Congress to persuade them to do anything?

Your use of the phrase "welfare/warfare" is nauseating, even by USMB standards. Our fighting men and women are scandalously badly paid, have almost no VA benefits and yet are considered the best in the world.

In short, on behalf of every single mom who has ever needed food stamps to feed her kids, as well as every military man in my family tree:

Fuck_Off.jpg

Taxes and Voting

by Walter E. Williams

Can we ban you from talking!

Forum List

Back