Ban Metal Bats?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A California legislative committee advanced a bill Wednesday that would place a two-year moratorium on the use of metal bats in high school baseball to allow for a safety review.

Supporters said metal alloy and aluminum bats make baseballs travel faster and lead to more serious injuries. Opponents of the moratorium said wooden bats also are dangerous.

The bill moved forward on the same day a 16-year-old pitcher for Marin Catholic High School, who was struck in the head by a line drive hit off an aluminum bat, was released from a rehabilitation hospital. The March incident left Gunnar Sandberg with a traumatic brain injury.

Metal bats already are banned in New York City, Huffman said.

California lawmakers seek temporary ban on metal bats | Top stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

What do some of these lawmakers smoke in their off hours? They sit around and dream up this ridiculous nonsense laws, as if a ball hit by a wooden bat couldn't inflict a severe injury as well. :lol: If these lawmakers weren't wasting the taxpayers time and money it would be funny.

A line drive is part of the game and very few can get out of the way fast enough to avoid being hit in the bean or worse, the 'beans'. They want to limit baseball injuries?

Ban the game for anyone under 18! Or,
Use NERF BALLS, as Dude recommends
Use soft plastic or rubber bats,specially if a batter let's go of his bat don't want anyone with an Aluminum burn.
Increase the distance from the pitchers mound to home plate by 300 feet.
Or better yet, install a robot pitcher who doesn't give a shit.

And the last fool proof method, keep your kid at home tied to your apron strings :D

My thoughts exactly. In NJ every time a child is killed or injured some lawmaker tries to capitalize on it to get their frickin name in the paper. We have outlawed lawn darts and water filled yo yos and as I posted before now they want warning labels on furniture that can topple if little kids climb on them.

I sympathize with all these parents, but none of this will bring their kid back. Politicians exploiting dead children and grieving parents is beyond sleazy.

I don't think they should have to ban them, but wood bats are better.. Plus it it cold, wood pants don't hurt your hands as much.
I have also got hit in the head (wearing a helmet), the hand, and a few other places with metal bat. I am sure wood would feel better. :lol:

But on that note, it is still harder to hit women's fast pitch. ;)

My thoughts exactly. In NJ every time a child is killed or injured some lawmaker tries to capitalize on it to get their frickin name in the paper. We have outlawed lawn darts and water filled yo yos and as I posted before now they want warning labels on furniture that can topple if little kids climb on them.

I sympathize with all these parents, but none of this will bring their kid back. Politicians exploiting dead children and grieving parents is beyond sleazy.

We should have never started using metal bats to begin with. ;)

Wooden bats break, and they can do serious damage when they do. There was a catcher in the major leagues who wore special protection because he caught a wooden bat piece in the throat.

If anything, more use of metal bats and wooden bats should be banned. The MLB is lucky nobody's been impaled by a wooden bat on national television yet. That's what it's going to take to ban those things.

Maple is a very hard, dense wood. The surface hardness is about 20% greater than ash. The harder the surface, the faster the ball will jump off the bat. This is one of the reasons maple has become so popular - that and the fact that Barry Bonds and other big league sluggers swing maple. Maple is a closer grained hard wood than ash. The grain is not as easy to see as it is with ash. The straightness of the grain does not matter as it does with ash. Maple will not splinter. The grain will not separate. The hardness of maple makes a bat with less flex.

Maple vs Ash: Which Wood Type for Baseball Bats? | HittingWorld.com

I think they need to ban catchers who sit too close to the batter. I swing late, because I sit back in the batter's box, and I have hit many catcher's hands. I broke a senior girl's hand, she was also a star on our varsity team, and I was a freshman.. She shouldn't have stuck her glove out

The kid in the OP article was not hit with a bat. He was hit with a ball.

They should ban balls.

Better yet, why don't we just start having professional Wii sports leagues?

You can't get hurt playing with your Wii.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A California legislative committee advanced a bill Wednesday that would place a two-year moratorium on the use of metal bats in high school baseball to allow for a safety review.

Supporters said metal alloy and aluminum bats make baseballs travel faster and lead to more serious injuries. Opponents of the moratorium said wooden bats also are dangerous.

The bill moved forward on the same day a 16-year-old pitcher for Marin Catholic High School, who was struck in the head by a line drive hit off an aluminum bat, was released from a rehabilitation hospital. The March incident left Gunnar Sandberg with a traumatic brain injury.

Metal bats already are banned in New York City, Huffman said.

California lawmakers seek temporary ban on metal bats | Top stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

698617.jpg

It isn't just the lawyers....The parents share in the blame as well.

Rather than looking at the injury as one of those terrible freak events that happens in life, as it had been for as long as there have been kids doing borderline dangerous things, nowadays it's all about assigning blame. Can't sue someone?...Then make something illegal or required.

In leagues up to the college level, the talent to make an aluminum bat dangerous is so far dispersed as to make the risks negligible. Especially given that most aluminum bats in use have old end caps which nullify the small advantage they may provide.

As far as maple bats are concerned, they shatter rather than just snap like ash and hickory....Personally, I'd rather get smacked with a batted ball than catch the shard end of a shattered maple bat.

New Topics

Forum List

Back