Ban Green Day, Eminem and Slim Shady!!!

Fmr jarhead

Aug 9, 2004
SoFLA
From Pollstar.com

Are They Really That Punk?
Updated 02:04 PDT Thu, Apr 14 2005

Green Day was put on a list of suggested artists that shouldn't perform at Carson, Calif.'s Home Depot Center, but the band is scheduled to play there two nights in October, anyway. One show is already sold out.
At press time, a concert committee comprising venue representatives, the community and California State University, Dominguez Hills (where the Home Depot Center is located), were expected to make a final decision on whether Green Day would be allowed to play the 27,000-capacity stadium.
Apparently, the "list" was compiled about three years ago by center operator AEG and university officials who were trying to appease worried neighbors still traumatized from a 1990 Grateful Dead concert at the now-demolished Olympic Velodrome. The list names acts including Marilyn Manson and rapper Ice Cube.
"In the early negotiations with [California State University, Dominguez Hills], it was a way to reassure them that we were going to be responsible with the concerts we booked," Home Depot Center GM Bill Peterson told Pollstar. "So we created this opportunity with this list as a guideline to assist in the process of us booking concerts."
Peterson added that the list is not absolute; it only recommends acts that should be questioned. He also pointed out that no artist has ever been banned from playing the venue.
How Green Day got on the list in the first place remains a mystery. AEG spokesman Michael Roth has a theory that the band was singled out while touring with Lollapalooza in the '90s. Putting Green Day on the list would therefore prohibit the traveling festival from visiting the city.
"If you look at the list, Eminem is on it but so is Slim Shady," Roth told Pollstar. "I think they were just throwing out names they'd heard of that they wouldn't want playing in their neighborhood."
Meanwhile, neither Roth nor Peterson are worried the concert committee will deny Green Day from playing the October 8-9 gigs.
The band is riding a major resurgence of success right now and their concert tickets are selling like mad. Green Day is currently on an arena tour of the U.S. and Canada. In June, the band head to Europe and the U.K. for some huge festival and stadium shows, then it's back home for a fall tour leg.

If Green Day fell off the face of the earth, would anyone care?

I would. American Idiot was one of the best, if not the best album of 2004.

Is your dislike because they're anti-Bush, or just a general dislike of them/their style?

I think Smarter's "why" comment was the same thought that I had, why ban them? How were the neighbors "traumatized" by a Grateful Dead concert? Doesn't seem like having a bunch of hippies in your town for a few hours would be enough to cause that kind of damage.

It's kind of bizzare that they wanted to ban Green Day 3 years ago, though. For what? The most controversial thing they'd written at that point was "Longview".

Dan said:
I would. American Idiot was one of the best, if not the best album of 2004.

Is your dislike because they're anti-Bush, or just a general dislike of them/their style?

I think Smarter's "why" comment was the same thought that I had, why ban them? How were the neighbors "traumatized" by a Grateful Dead concert? Doesn't seem like having a bunch of hippies in your town for a few hours would be enough to cause that kind of damage.

It's kind of bizzare that they wanted to ban Green Day 3 years ago, though. For what? The most controversial thing they'd written at that point was "Longview".

I just don't care for their style. There's so many anti-Bush musicians out there that if we got rid of them all, we'd be listening to Toby Keith and Kid Rock all day long! :D

Actually, to be a bit more precise, I'm mad at myself for liking them so much because their music is so ridiculously simple, but so catchy! It's a love-hate relationship! :D

I just don't care for their style. There's so many anti-Bush musicians out there that if we got rid of them all, we'd be listening to Toby Keith and Kid Rock all day long!

Fair enough. I sort of wish there'd be a band that just said "who cares?" I'd buy all their albums in a heartbeat.

Actually, to be a bit more precise, I'm mad at myself for liking them so much because their music is so ridiculously simple, but so catchy! It's a love-hate relationship!

Ah, now the truth comes out!:D

I used to be like that, but now I realize that three chords can do a lot. You should seriously listen to their new album, imagine a punk-rock opera with two songs that are almost 10 minutes long. That actually works.

gop_jeff said:
If Green Day fell off the face of the earth, would anyone care?

Actually my 8 soon to be 9 year old, would be devasted! Seems he has grown quite fond of Green Day! So fond in fact he is insisting that I must win him tickets to the sold out show in Columbus, His reasoning............ you won tickets to go see RAW mom, come on I know you can do it! :laugh:

I agree with you. I dont like green day because they are anti-American British (if I am not mistaken, correct me if Im wrong), punk asses not doing anything constroctive at all. Granted, they are not doing any less than most other musicians, but they are actually aiding in a rise of anarchist youth in America. On top of all that, their music just plain sucks, and sounds no differant than any other "punk rock" artists. Its funny how they can manage to try to hard not to try, and care about not caring, you know what I mean? Ban them? No, we have the 1st Ammendment, remember. Denounce them? By all means.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dan
I agree with you. I dont like green day because they are anti-American British (if I am not mistaken, correct me if Im wrong),

They're actually from California! The lead singer just sounds British.

Granted, they are not doing any less than most other musicians, but they are actually aiding in a rise of anarchist youth in America.

Well, in all fairness, this has been the goal of punk rock since the days of the Sex Pistols.

There's always been a rift in punk between the punks who want total anarchy (Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys) and the punks who just want to be annoying (Ramones, Vandals).

Ban them? No, we have the 1st Ammendment, remember. Denounce them? By all means.

Definitely can't argue with that.

I really really can't stand Eminem.. all he does is bitch... and why? he's not the only one who's had bad relationships and a messed up mother... and not all of us are rich afterwards... He just annoys me, but most rap does annoy me anyways...

As far as Greenday goes, I like them... Not all of there stuff is anti bush... Nobody listens to their older stuff...

As far as Greenday goes, I like them... Not all of there stuff is anti bush... Nobody listens to their older stuff...

Well, even American Idiot isn't as anti-Bush as everyone thinks, the song "Holiday" is really the only one that makes any sort of reference to Bush or the political climate in America at all.

Dan said:
They're actually from California! The lead singer just sounds British.

Well, in all fairness, this has been the goal of punk rock since the days of the Sex Pistols.

There's always been a rift in punk between the punks who want total anarchy (Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys) and the punks who just want to be annoying (Ramones, Vandals).

Definitely can't argue with that.

SURE AM GLAD THAT I GREW UP DURING "HAPPY DAYS" when a young person could actually relate: TO THE MUSIC BEING PORTRAYED.....I grew up on the "Beach Boys" "Jan and Dean"...I actually surfed and was a letterman in school...so it was acceptable to relate to the lyrics that were used...not true in todays society...everyone is a wannabee...without actually sacraficing...or experiencing the results of their inter-action with life...so sad...I put the blame on national news media who only knows how to talk and relate to sound bites...experience to them is what their professors in the elite universitites tell them...they who can do... those who can't....well they just try to teach! Dumming down society is their goal! PERIOD! :usa:

Semper Fi said:
I agree with you. I dont like green day because they are anti-American British (if I am not mistaken, correct me if Im wrong), punk asses not doing anything constroctive at all. Granted, they are not doing any less than most other musicians, but they are actually aiding in a rise of anarchist youth in America. On top of all that, their music just plain sucks, and sounds no differant than any other "punk rock" artists. Its funny how they can manage to try to hard not to try, and care about not caring, you know what I mean? Ban them? No, we have the 1st Ammendment, remember. Denounce them? By all means.

Yeah, "Holiday" isn't the reason I hate them, I just hate them cause they suck and can't sing at all. :crutch:

Forum List

Back