Baltimore

AyeCantSeeYou

Platinum Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
May 19, 2013
DMV
The company I work for is relocating me there at the end of May. For those that live there, where are decent areas to live that is affordable?

Affordable comes with another price - drugs, hookers, bad cops, crappy roads, high crime, getting mugged, etc.

Stay away from the city. I recommend Pasadena, Odenton (parts of it) Millersville, in short, stay mostly just outside of the beltway (695) If you MUST live in B-more, try federal hill or Canton.

I'm more interested in areas outside of Baltimore. I've been looking online at places around Anne Arundel, Howard, etc. I'm having major sticker shock with housing being 3X's higher there than it is where I am now. $2400 a month for a 3/2 house is NOT what I was expecting. I refuse to pay that.

I'm more interested in areas outside of Baltimore. I've been looking online at places around Anne Arundel, Howard, etc. I'm having major sticker shock with housing being 3X's higher there than it is where I am now. $2400 a month for a 3/2 house is NOT what I was expecting. I refuse to pay that.

Nor would I, you need to check out craigslist and maybe consider an apartment. I no longer wish to rent from stupid homeowners with no pockets and no experience in renting. Apartment people generally stay out of your way.

Apartments are out of the question for me. I won't even consider them!

I understand the dislike - the people there are not overly concerned with being good neighbors.

My beef is that renting a house is never fun because the home owner generally makes it that way.

LOL...you are moving to a major metropolitan area. Either pay outrageous prices to own a zero lot home or pay outrageous prices to live in an apartment. I might suggest somewhere off the grid or giving up on Baltimore altogether. Hell, you can move south of Springfield, VA and take the train, saving you at least 100K for your home...go to Fredericksburg, save 200k. It will only take you 2 hours to get to work...the same time it would take you if you lived in Montgomery, PG, or any other county within the radius of Baltimore.

DON'T MOVE TO BALTIMORE!!!!!!!

It's a shithole. There's not a single good thing about Baltimore. There's nowhere worth visiting or any place worth eating at. STAY THE HELL AWAY!!!!!!!
I went to school in DC...one of my good friends went to school in Baltimore...I refused to visit that shithole! Come way South and take the train! I believe you can go as far as Fredericksburg and still pay the same as leaving from Union Station.

It's a shithole. There's not a single good thing about Baltimore. There's nowhere worth visiting or any place worth eating at. STAY THE HELL AWAY!!!!!!!
I went to school in DC...one of my good friends went to school in Baltimore...I refused to visit that shithole! Come way South and take the train! I believe you can go as far as Fredericksburg and still pay the same as leaving from Union Station.
Anywhere in Virginia is lightyears ahead of Baltimore.

OK, back to reality - depending upon where you work, there are much better options closer by. VA is flat out too far away. I would recommend going north instead of south.

DC is also a shithole, people who live in a bad area dont know that it's bad.

For those that don't know, I do not have a choice in moving to Baltimore. It's either move there or be without a job. The profession I'm in isn't exactly booming in the area where I currently live. The company I work for has merged with another and that is the reason we are being relocated.

For those that don't know, I do not have a choice in moving to Baltimore. It's either move there or be without a job. The profession I'm in isn't exactly booming in the area where I currently live. The company I work for has merged with another and that is the reason we are being relocated.
This map, despite the humor, is amazingly accurate.

tumblr_md1ojvArXe1rrw14ro1_1280.jpg

Anywhere in Virginia is lightyears ahead of Baltimore.

True but be prepared to spend your life on the trains...Try Baltimore County.

So your new owners aren't going to give you a raise with the added cost of living?
Thats f'd up!!
If your type of work is in the Baltimore area and there are more jobs,i'd look into what the competition pays.
If ya gotta live in Baltimore you might as well try and get paid for it.

Forum List

Back