Baltic Dry Index Has Worst Week Since October as Demand Slows

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
International Shipping is still down. It fell tremendously last year and then rallied a bit and is falling back down now. Everybody wants to believe that the Deperssion is going away.

Shipping tells another story. It is shipping that you look to to see what is happening in the world. China had their own Trillion Dollar stimulus package,and were importing Iron Oar and Coal to fuel their industries. Well, they stockpiled the materials and are not ordering now. Their factories are just not busy enough (Ironically in a still "controlled" society and economy) to use the coal and iron to make steel for future projects. Reality has set in in Communist China. Few people are buying steel other than their own government.

Baltic Dry Index Has Worst Week Since October as Demand Slows

Aug. (Bloomberg) -- The Baltic Dry Index, a measure of shipping costs for commodities, had its worst week since October as Chinese demand for shipments of coal and iron ore slowed.

The index tracking transportation costs on international trade routes today slid 135 points, or 4.6 percent, to 2,772 points, according to the Baltic Exchange. That took its weekly drop to 17 percent, the most since the end of October.

“The Chinese have backed off and it’s starting to show in the number of shipments this month,” Gavin Durrell, a Cape Town-based official at Island View Shipping SA, Africa’s biggest commodities shipping line, said by phone today. “Iron ore and coal seem to be slowing down.”

We are in a Depression. We have 30 Million people in this country who had jobs two years ago who do not have jobs now. We would have had a lot more, but a couple million Mexicans have fled back to Mexico.

Yeah we can call it a depression.

Or we can call it a recession.

We can call it anything we damned well please, really.

What we call it doesn't change its nature one bit.

Things are bad.

And the poorer you are the worse things are, too.

We are in a Depression. We have 30 Million people in this country who had jobs two years ago who do not have jobs now. We would have had a lot more, but a couple million Mexicans have fled back to Mexico.

Do you have a source? Or does the figure just come from out of your ass again?

The number of people counted as unemployed is currently 14.6 million

source

I suspect that if we include discouraged workers and seriously UNDERemployed workers the number is probably more like 30,000,000.

Do you have a source? ?

Pinko, you Silly child!

Look, my knowledge comes from the real world. You know I do not believe anything from the Federal Government about their unemployment numbers.

I played Basketball on the South Side of Chicago with no nets on the hoops. When you play in that arena, you learn from your team mates and the opposing teams. The actual number of people who would take a full time job if they had one offered to them is well in excess of 30 Million. The people who play basketball where I have played it know how bad it is out there. They have suffered and are suffering.

You can cite your friggin Government Numbers all you want. All that proves is that you do not know the real world around you. Since you have shown yourself to be so anal and ignorant, I am going to nickname you "Anal Ignoramus."

But just so it is not too offensive I will shorten it to AI, which could also stand for Artificial Intelligence. The knowledge that you have on the economy is all artificial, so AI is very apt as a nick name.

Am I right or am I wrong? Should Pinko be nicknamed AI ?

All I'm gonna say is, to take every government statistic completely serious is irresponsible.

You don't automatically deserve 100% credibility simply because you're the government.

Do you have a source? ?
Look, my knowledge comes from the real world. You know I do not believe anything from the Federal Government about their unemployment numbers.
Mostly because you don't understand them. But rather than try to actually learn, you cling to your ignorance as pride.

The actual number of people who would take a full time job if they had one offered to them is well in excess of 30 Million.
And where are you getting that number from? You're making a claim, but based on what? What have you actually done to come up with that number other than pick it at random out of thin air?

You can cite your friggin Government Numbers all you want. All that proves is that you do not know the real world around you.
And yet you offer no alternatives except randomly chosen numbers. It's strange that you think that your numbers, based on zero economic or statistical knowledge should be considered better than the work of tens of thousands of economists and statisticians over many decades. You make assertions, not arguments. Are the government figures exact? Of course not...there are pretty large margins of error and they are only approximations to represent what's actually happening. I know that, all other economists and statisticians know that. But it's better than anything else.

All I'm gonna say is, to take every government statistic completely serious is irresponsible.

You don't automatically deserve 100% credibility simply because you're the government.

Of course not....so do the research...all the methodology for government statistics is published and publically available. Neubarth doesn't do the research...he just rants and wails and refuses to look at what the numbers actually mean.

Of course not....so do the research...all the methodology for government statistics is published and publically available. Neubarth doesn't do the research...he just rants and wails and refuses to look at what the numbers actually mean.

Anal Ignoramus (oops, I mean AI) The federal numbers are totally fabricated when it comes to unemployment. I have read all of their explanations and they are all smelly fetid excrement.

People like you eat that shit up and have horrible bad breath. I guess that makes you shitty people. Open up your mind and look around the US at the actual unemployment rate. Talk to people. I do that every day, and it is obvious to me that we are in a Depression. You can lie all you want, but the people are still living in misery. I do not take buffoons like you seriously. I believe what I see, not what the government writes for the sheeple to believe.

Last edited:
And yet you've never offered any evidence of this, though I've asked you many times. You kept claiming it was "Obama stooges" even though the methodolgy hasn't changed and the Commissioner of BLS is a Bush appointee. How are they fabricated? By whom exactly? Details, please. I'll wait.

I have read all of their explanations and they are all smelly fetid excrement.
Ok, explain further...in detail.....what is wrong with the methodology and what do you propose instead? And why does almost everyone else in the world use the same methodology?

Open up your mind and look around the US at the actual unemployment rate.
As an individual, I can't do that....I can't be everywhere at once and get any kind of factual representation based on casual observation. I don't have your god-like powers...I have to rely on science, not divine revelation.
Talk to people. I do that every day, and it is obvious to me that we are in a Depression.
Define your terms. I haven't seen any signs of a Depression in any of the areas I've been lately: Virginia, Maryland, Texas, California, Georgia. Things are really bad in CA, and some areas are in a depression, but not the entire state and certainly not the entire country.

Forum List

Back