'Balloon boy' incident was hoax, sheriff says

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
'Balloon boy' incident was hoax, sheriff says - CNN.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iISyPz5XRyI]YouTube - COPS Theme Song - Bad Boys[/ame]

(CNN) -- Three days after the world watched a giant balloon fly through the air and a tearful family express fears that their 6-year-old boy could be inside, authorities announced what millions already suspected: The whole thing was staged.

It was carried out by a couple who met "in acting school in Hollywood" and "put on a very good show for us," Sheriff Jim Alderden of Larimer County said Sunday. Authorities know there was "a conspiracy" between Richard and Mayumi Heene, he said.

The dramatic announcement included an admission by Alderden that authorities misled the media on Friday when they said they still believed it was not a hoax.

In fact, after a comment on CNN Thursday night by Falcon, the 6-year-old boy, "it became very clear to us at that point that they were lying," Alderden said. But in order to get to the truth, "it was very important that they maintain their trust with us." So investigators misled the media while they carried out their "game plan" of gathering the truth

Charges have not been filed, but authorities expect to recommend felony charges including conspiracy, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and attempting to influence a public servant, Alderden said. They also plan to recommend a charge of filing a false police report, which is a misdemeanor.

He also said it is "unlikely" that someone convicted of these charges would face jail time. "We have to allocate our space to" those who commit more serious crimes or have a record of felonies, he said.

One key question remains unanswered, Alderden said: Where was Falcon as police searched for him? On Friday, Alderden said it had been determined that the boy was hiding in an attic in the garage and had fallen asleep. Now, authorities are unsure. Alderden said the boy may not even have been in the home

Story just gets weirder, but no surprise here.

I wouldn't believe this sheriff if you paid me. He was embarrassed by the incident and upset and so has done everything he can to bring charges against these people. Until the family admits they did it on purpose I have no reason to believe this Sheriff.

I wouldn't believe this sheriff if you paid me. He was embarrassed by the incident and upset and so has done everything he can to bring charges against these people. Until the family admits they did it on purpose I have no reason to believe this Sheriff.

You're gonna be waiting a looooong time, buddy.
Why would you take the word of THESE people??

I feel sorry for those 3 kids, mom and dad teaching them that lying is ok to achieve their 15 (more) minutes of fame.

Don't blame the 6 year old boy in any of this, he was just doing what was told by daddy and mommy. Poor little fellow.

o lets not believe the police now...sgt to accept the police are right would make you wrong in your earlier thread of today...you know the one about how dare they charge these people for using 911 etc? you are certainly proof of that adage...a closed mind never changes....think about that the next time you are calling another poster a retard.

Gunny..

Didn't little Falcon say "We did it for a show" and then fart to emphasize his point?

The Sheriff would not have made the statement without evidence. I'm sure the boys sang like canaries

My favorite was the fathers claim that his balloon would have carried a boy

This is one of the dumbest things I have seen you post and that says a lot. (By they way, did your higher ups call you E-7 or Gunny? You dont sound like any Gunny I knew, you sound like an E-7 and I know you understand what I am saying).

Perhaps the family is related to this guy:

"Using his trusty BB gun to help him return to Earth, a 48-year-old gas station owner flew a lawn chair rigged with helium-filled balloons more than 200 miles (320 kilometers) across the Oregon desert, landing in a field in Idaho.

Kent Couch created a sensation in this tiny farming community, where he touched down safely Saturday in a pasture after lifting off from Bend, Oregon, and was soon greeted by dozens of people who gave him drinks of water, local plumber Mark Hetz said."
Oregon man gets carried away _ in lawn chair tied to helium balloons _ and lands in Idaho | Article from AP Worldstream | HighBeam Research
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fogY0-bzZtU]YouTube - Balloon Man's Amazing Journey; Video Found[/ame]

Forum List

Back