Baker must make gay cakes

How is refusing to serve gay people "exercising religion"?

He didn't refuse to serve gay people. No doubt the bakery served a lot of gay people.

He really cannot be ordered to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple when he doesn't make them for anyone else.

That's not what I asked.

What you asked was a falsity. It never happened. Since the baker didn't refuse to serve gay people all you really have is a hypothetical. IF the baker had refused to serve gay people would that be an exercise of religion? Then of course you are bollixed up by the fact that he didn't refuse to serve anyone.

He didn't refuse to serve gay people. No doubt the bakery served a lot of gay people.

He really cannot be ordered to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple when he doesn't make them for anyone else.

That's not what I asked.

What you asked was a falsity. It never happened. Since the baker didn't refuse to serve gay people all you really have is a hypothetical. IF the baker had refused to serve gay people would that be an exercise of religion? Then of course you are bollixed up by the fact that he didn't refuse to serve anyone.

I'm directly responding to what the baker said.

Phillips, a devout Christian who owns the Masterpiece Cakeshop in the Denver suburb of Lakewood, said the decision violates his First Amendment rights to free speech and free exercise of his religion. "I will stand by my convictions until somebody shuts me down," he told reporters after the ruling.

The question really is can the court order an individual to provide a service to gays when that service isn't offered to the general public. Can the basis of such order be that the individual is capable of providing the service even if they don't offer it?

There is no precedent for forcing a person to perform a personal service.

The question really is can the court order an individual to provide a service to gays when that service isn't offered to the general public. Can the basis of such order be that the individual is capable of providing the service even if they don't offer it?

Perhaps that is your question. It's not mine, though.

Kind of a slippery slope here. What if my religion denounces old white men over the age of 60. Could I refuse to bake for them? Heck I'm 75 but could I refuse service to senior citizens cuz of religion?

Note to Homos- don't eat a cake made by a person who didn't want to make it but was forced to.....If I were forced to make a gay cake, it'd be topped with a fresh squeezed turd. Yummy!!

19by0oz9l0eq3jpg.jpg

except, and here's the thing, he did offer wedding cake services. he claims now that he is too busy to do this, but i'd wager that isn't the case, or at least won't remain the case for long.

my question is what business of his is it what people do with his goods once they purchase them? so long as they aren't harming anyone how does he even have the right to ask?

It's none of his business. Any gay person can come into that bakery at any time and buy a cake. It is the message carried by the expertise and artistry of the baker in creating the wedding cake for this specific couple that the baker approves of and condones same sex marriage. Forcing him to express that message is a sin to him. Therefor it is a sin.

That baker looks like a butch gay, so I don't understand why he wouldn't bake for his own kind.

Oh, that's right. His religious beliefs do not override sexual orientation. Good.

Excellent, odd that he no longer makes wedding cakes but will appeal. His views are shared by 20th century fascists, communists, and 21st century Russins. He could move there, except Archbishop Kirill, (Putin's confessor) says there are no Christians in the US, and favors Russian Orthodox as well.

Why is it odd? If you had a business, and were being forced to provide a service you don't provide to the public simply because some asshole came in and demanded it, wouldn't you appeal the ruling? Or would you simply bow down to the infinite wisdom of the state?

That baker looks like a butch gay, so I don't understand why he wouldn't bake for his own kind.

Oh, that's right. His religious beliefs do not override sexual orientation. Good.

Did you notice that he doesn't even bake cakes as part of his business, yet he still has to bake a cake for a gay wedding? Tell me how that isn't slavery.

He isn't being "forced" to bake a cake for any wedding. The wedding in question happened a long time ago.

He's being "forced" not to discriminate based on sexual orientation, nothing more.

The baker, Mr. Phillips has already stated in the past that he is willing to go to jail rather than renounce his faith. I support him, no way would I ever abandon my religion because of some court ruling. I'd go to jail as well in order to keep practicing my faith.

Colo. Baker Willing to Go to Jail for Not Baking Cake for Same-Sex Wedding
Colo. Baker Willing to Go to Jail for Not Baking Cake for Same-Sex Wedding | National Review Online

There is NO attempt to prevent him from practicing his beliefs(.) The law requires PUBLIC businesses to accomodate the general public; one may be a Nazi, KKK, or "5 percenter", one still must abide by laws. Tough break, felons compain about it I know.

Except the law requires no business to provide a service it doesn't supply to the public, but thanks for proving it isn't really about the law with you, it is about shoving your beliefs down other people's throats.

How is refusing to serve gay people "exercising religion"?

He isn't refusing to serve gay people, he is refusing to bake a cake, which just happens to be something he doesn't do for anyone. That should be easy even for a brain dead bigot to understand.

Last edited:

Did you notice that he doesn't even bake cakes as part of his business, yet he still has to bake a cake for a gay wedding? Tell me how that isn't slavery.

He isn't being "forced" to bake a cake for any wedding. The wedding in question happened a long time ago.

He's being "forced" not to discriminate based on sexual orientation, nothing more.

He's no longer discriminating. He no longer offers wedding cake. Although if a friend asked him he'd do it.

Forum List

Back