(dedicated to E.Z.)

We made this soup yesterday Chez Boe. Tis quite Delish:

2 acorn squash (about 2 pounds each)
2 butternut squash (ditto)
8 Tbsp unsalted butter
8 teaspoon dark brown sugar
3 carrots, peeled and halved
1 large onion, thinly sliced
10 cups chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
3/4 teaspoon ground mace
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch cayenne pepper
salt to taste
creme fraiche for garnish
snipped fresh chives for garnish

Preheat oven to 350F. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Place squash halves in roasting pan. Place 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar in cavity of each squash half. Arrange carrots and onion slices around the squash. Pour 2 cups of the stock in the pan, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 2 hours.

Remove pan from oven and allow vegetables to cool slightly. Scoop squash pulp out of skins and place in a soup pot. Add carrots onions and cooking liquid. Add remaining 8 cups chicken stock and mace, ginger, cayenne, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Puree the soup in batches in blender or food processor until smooth. Return it to the pot, adjust the seasonings, and heat through. Serve each portion garnished with a dollop of creme fraiche (below) and sprinkling of chives.

Note: for the pureeing, an immersion blender works just as well, and is much easier.

Last edited:
I love butternut squash bisques.
A simple, delicate flavor...much better than potato soup.

Noting goes better with a spicy panini sammich than this soup.

I made this last year for my contribution to the family Thanksgiving feast. Having a soup course was lovely way to extend the meal time. To make it a bit more festive, I added some toasted pine nuts to the garnish.

Forum List

Back