Bain sent American jobs overseas

The purpose and goal of a company such as Bain is to make money. That's capitalism. There is nothing wrong with that.

Wrong are Republican policies and not understanding the difference between business and government. What Bain did is business. They are looking for the "best" deal and would be derelict as businessmen to not take advantage of such a good opportunity.

This is where government comes in. It's the job of government to make sure Americans can be competitive. The job of government is to promote education so American's can compete with skilled foreign labor. The job of government is to build up American infrastructure so we can be competitive.

Republicans spent close to 4 trillion to level and then built up Iraq. But they say we can't do that here.

So what are Republican's goals? That's a question the Republican base needs to ask their leadership. If they really want to know that is.

Being a hangman is only a job. Nailing Jews to crosses is only a job. Putting people in gas chambers is only a job. Business? Some business has no business being in business.

Sorry for being slow. Hangman? Nailing Jews to a cross? Gas chambers? What did that have to do with my post?

A company like Bain capital only makes money by sending jobs over seas if the company it takes over is running inefficiently. The resources being poured into the company are being wasted by putting them towards that company. If a company is salvageable it is in Bain's interest to fix the company and sell it off. In the case of many companies in the US it is simply more efficient to redirect the capital tied up in that company to other uses.

Mike

They don't only make money sending jobs overseas. This is a capitalistic country. Bain has every right to make money as long as it's "legal". It doesn't even have to be "ethical", just legal.

But that doesn't mean he would make a good president. In fact, from what he did in the past, his presidency would be more of a matter of perspective. Republicans believe in every man for himself. They don't care about the middle class. They support cutting police, firemen and teachers. And cutting taxes on rich people. So if Romney did these things, Republicans would see a great president they could admire.

A company like Bain capital only makes money by sending jobs over seas if the company it takes over is running inefficiently. The resources being poured into the company are being wasted by putting them towards that company. If a company is salvageable it is in Bain's interest to fix the company and sell it off. In the case of many companies in the US it is simply more efficient to redirect the capital tied up in that company to other uses.

Mike

They don't only make money sending jobs overseas. This is a capitalistic country. Bain has every right to make money as long as it's "legal". It doesn't even have to be "ethical", just legal.

But that doesn't mean he would make a good president. In fact, from what he did in the past, his presidency would be more of a matter of perspective. Republicans believe in every man for himself. They don't care about the middle class. They support cutting police, firemen and teachers. And cutting taxes on rich people. So if Romney did these things, Republicans would see a great president they could admire.

First, I agree with your first assessment. I was just trying to explain why it happens. On Romney, I'm not a fan. Don't see much difference between the two. Hence while I no longer call myself a Republican (haven't since McCain won the nomination). I've since gone back and revisited Bush's policies and found so much that I disagree with that its disgusting.

We will agree to disagree on Republicans.

Mike

Study confirms Romney

Romney's Bain Capital Pioneered Shipping American Jobs Overseas

I guess Romney wanted American jobs located overseas, with his money?

Romney’s Bain Capital invested in companies that moved jobs overseas

Romney’s Bain Capital invested in companies that moved jobs overseas - The Washington Post

During the nearly 15 years that Romney was actively involved in running Bain, a private equity firm that he founded, it owned companies that were pioneers in the practice of shipping work from the United States to overseas call centers and factories making computer components, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Jesus, this is deja vu

And the author of the article...
Robert Bowen, Economic Policy Examiner

Currently a businessman, Robert Bowen served in the Colorado legislature in the 1980s as a moderate Democrat.

Move along...No partisan hackery to see here.:eusa_whistle:

This story is going to nail Romney.

By all rights it should.

But I think that there are a few problems.

First, both parties have drunk deep of the Free Trade Koolaid. Obama had signed a few Free Trade treaties himself and this sort of talk makes some Dems nervous.

Second, like most of the Bain stuff, it gets a little shadowy, mostly because we don't know which decisions Romney was making personally.

I think this is a great conversation to have, but he'd better be willing to make it strongly.

Mike

Again, you work on the assumption the only function of a company should be to make a quick buck for hte people who own it, not to be something that matters to the people that work there.

And I've said this before, I think that the outsourcing has always been more about breaking the American Middle Class than it has been about making a buck.

I do production purchasing for a living, and what I've found is that what you save in labor you lose in time, quality, and flexibility. FOr instance, you have to commit to buying something from Asia six weeks before you get it, as opposed to getting it next week from an American manufacturer. That usually means you have to run up higher inventories.

That may be true but GE, one of Obama buddies shipped their jobs over seas and paid no tax. As long as they can keep us fighting with each other nothing will get done.

What in the whacky world of right wing lunacy are you talkin' bout?

Big O's Jobs Czar Jeffrey Immelt. I'm not surprised you don't know about him, he's a Democrat.

Immelt's a registered Republican.

And according to this post article..he's none to pleased with Obama.

Back when he agreed to advise the Obama administration on economics, General Electric CEO Jeff Immelt told friends that he thought it would be good for GE and good for the country. A life-long Republican, Immelt said he believed he could at the very least moderate the president’s distinctly anti-business instincts.

Read more: Jeffrey Immelt sours on Obama—Charles Gasparino - NYPOST.com

The purpose and goal of a company such as Bain is to make money. That's capitalism. There is nothing wrong with that.

Wrong are Republican policies and not understanding the difference between business and government. What Bain did is business. They are looking for the "best" deal and would be derelict as businessmen to not take advantage of such a good opportunity.

This is where government comes in. It's the job of government to make sure Americans can be competitive. The job of government is to promote education so American's can compete with skilled foreign labor. The job of government is to build up American infrastructure so we can be competitive.

Republicans spent close to 4 trillion to level and then built up Iraq. But they say we can't do that here.

So what are Republican's goals? That's a question the Republican base needs to ask their leadership. If they really want to know that is.

Being a hangman is only a job. Nailing Jews to crosses is only a job. Putting people in gas chambers is only a job. Business? Some business has no business being in business.

Sorry for being slow. Hangman? Nailing Jews to a cross? Gas chambers? What did that have to do with my post?

You're really slow on the uptake aren't ya?

And the leveling and rebuilding thing was a little dodgy..I wouldn't want my city leveled.

Mike

Again, you work on the assumption the only function of a company should be to make a quick buck for hte people who own it, not to be something that matters to the people that work there.

And I've said this before, I think that the outsourcing has always been more about breaking the American Middle Class than it has been about making a buck.

I do production purchasing for a living, and what I've found is that what you save in labor you lose in time, quality, and flexibility. FOr instance, you have to commit to buying something from Asia six weeks before you get it, as opposed to getting it next week from an American manufacturer. That usually means you have to run up higher inventories.

:clap2: +1000

As are "consultants".

if you believe everything you hear out of the Democrats mouths, you will remain a fool. Its time people wake up to reality. Half of what you hear the liberals saying is merely to gain your vote or confidence and what their saying is designed to convience you of things not truel.

if you believe everything you hear out of the Democrats mouths, you will remain a fool. Its time people wake up to reality. Half of what you hear the liberals saying is merely to gain your vote or confidence and what their saying is designed to convience you of things not truel.

It's not a matter of belieiving what you hear, it's a matter of fact.

Bain did invest in companies that did outsourcing, because back when they did that, they were profitable.

Mike

First, I agree with your first assessment. I was just trying to explain why it happens. On Romney, I'm not a fan. Don't see much difference between the two. Hence while I no longer call myself a Republican (haven't since McCain won the nomination). I've since gone back and revisited Bush's policies and found so much that I disagree with that its disgusting.

We will agree to disagree on Republicans.

Mike

I can only go by what the Republican leadership has said. When Obama said the private sector was doing fine, you could look at that as a comment taken out of context (which it was) because he was comparing it to the government sector or you could view it as a "gaffe".
When Romney said "less police, firemen and teachers", that wasn't a "gaffe", it was his honest to goodness policy. He made the same claim a week before at a school in Philadelphia when he said larger class size is good. When I say Republicans said this or that, I don't make it up. It's what they actually said. "Feed the poor and they'll breed" is something that wouldn't even occur to me. Or "education is for snobs". Or "I like to fire people". These thoughts don't exist in my mind until Republicans put those phrases there.

Romney’s Bain Capital invested in companies that moved jobs overseas

Romney’s Bain Capital invested in companies that moved jobs overseas - The Washington Post

During the nearly 15 years that Romney was actively involved in running Bain, a private equity firm that he founded, it owned companies that were pioneers in the practice of shipping work from the United States to overseas call centers and factories making computer components, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

some things deserve repeating

:eusa_whistle:

Lemme see...

When he was 8

When he was 18

Seriously? Being a community activist is a drawback?

The other guy? He's here to break what's left of America.

I'll take the first guy.

But then that means that half of what they say is true?

Marginally better than what the Republicans say.

You're really slow on the uptake aren't ya?

And the leveling and rebuilding thing was a little dodgy..I wouldn't want my city leveled.

I wouldn't want mine leveled either. But still, Republicans want to spend trillions on Iraq and noting here. Doesn't seem fair.

Forum List

Back