Bain Capital profiting on Chinese Police State, says NYT

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
NYT: Romney's firm tied to China surveillance push - World news - Asia-Pacific - China - msnbc.com

In December, a Bain-run fund in which a Romney family blind trust has holdings purchased the video surveillance division of a Chinese company that claims to be the largest supplier to the government’s Safe Cities program, a highly advanced monitoring system that allows the authorities to watch over university campuses, hospitals, mosques and movie theaters from centralized command posts.

The Bain-owned company, Uniview Technologies, produces what it calls “infrared antiriot” cameras and software that enable police officials in different jurisdictions to share images in real time through the Internet. Previous projects have included an emergency command center in Tibet that “provides a solid foundation for the maintenance of social stability and the protection of people’s peaceful life,” according to Uniview’s Web site.

Yup, just what we need more of...

Granny says dey's oppressin' dem poor Tibetan people dat just want to be free...
:mad:
China struggles to contain wave of defiance in Tibet
23 Mar.`12 - Since January, demonstrations have erupted across the Tibetan areas of China. For more than a year now, Tibetans have been setting themselves on fire as a form of protest against Chinese rule, the latest being a father of three. A warning, this report from our International editor Lindsey Hilsum does contain very distressing images.
It's illegal for Tibetans to protest, and yet demonstrations against Chinese rule have taken place almost daily for the past two months. Several monks have set themselves alight, illustrating the desperation of Tibetans resisting Chinese rule. The spate of self-immolations in the Tibetan-dominated areas of China that have occurred over the past year is "extreme" and hurts social harmony, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said recently.

Wen's comments, at a news conference at the end of the annual meeting of parliament, come after around 26 Tibetans have set themselves on fire, mostly in southwestern China, to protest against Chinese rule in Tibet. At least 19 have died, according to Tibetan rights groups. Activists say China violently stamps out religious freedom and culture in Tibet, which has been under Chinese control since 1950.

China rejects criticism that it is eroding Tibetan culture and faith, saying its rule has ended serfdom and brought development to a backward region. The brother of a monk who self-immolated spoke from exile, saying he was "shocked" when he heard the news, but understands the monk's sacrifice. "I feel really, really proud of him and I respect his sacrifice a lot," he said.

Source

Granny says dey's oppressin' dem poor Tibetan people dat just want to be free...
:mad:
China struggles to contain wave of defiance in Tibet
23 Mar.`12 - Since January, demonstrations have erupted across the Tibetan areas of China. For more than a year now, Tibetans have been setting themselves on fire as a form of protest against Chinese rule, the latest being a father of three. A warning, this report from our International editor Lindsey Hilsum does contain very distressing images.
It's illegal for Tibetans to protest, and yet demonstrations against Chinese rule have taken place almost daily for the past two months. Several monks have set themselves alight, illustrating the desperation of Tibetans resisting Chinese rule. The spate of self-immolations in the Tibetan-dominated areas of China that have occurred over the past year is "extreme" and hurts social harmony, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said recently.

Wen's comments, at a news conference at the end of the annual meeting of parliament, come after around 26 Tibetans have set themselves on fire, mostly in southwestern China, to protest against Chinese rule in Tibet. At least 19 have died, according to Tibetan rights groups. Activists say China violently stamps out religious freedom and culture in Tibet, which has been under Chinese control since 1950.

China rejects criticism that it is eroding Tibetan culture and faith, saying its rule has ended serfdom and brought development to a backward region. The brother of a monk who self-immolated spoke from exile, saying he was "shocked" when he heard the news, but understands the monk's sacrifice. "I feel really, really proud of him and I respect his sacrifice a lot," he said.

Source

Tibetan in Delhi Sets Self Alight to Protest Chinese Leader’s Visit
26-tibet-protest-IndiaInk-blog480.jpg

It appears to me that this kind of technology - like all technology - can be used for good and for evil purposes. I don't really see the problem here.

NYT: Romney's firm tied to China surveillance push - World news - Asia-Pacific - China - msnbc.com

In December, a Bain-run fund in which a Romney family blind trust has holdings purchased the video surveillance division of a Chinese company that claims to be the largest supplier to the government’s Safe Cities program, a highly advanced monitoring system that allows the authorities to watch over university campuses, hospitals, mosques and movie theaters from centralized command posts.

The Bain-owned company, Uniview Technologies, produces what it calls “infrared antiriot” cameras and software that enable police officials in different jurisdictions to share images in real time through the Internet. Previous projects have included an emergency command center in Tibet that “provides a solid foundation for the maintenance of social stability and the protection of people’s peaceful life,” according to Uniview’s Web site.

Yup, just what we need more of...

I assume you are using a computer to post here? How dare you support Foxcon and its evil product line along with Chinese enslavement. I hope you don't have a cell phone...

Stop the fake outrage at a blind investment and the actions of a company Romney has absolutely nothing to do with any more.

There is no bad techology.

There ARE people who use techology to do bad things.

Glad I could be there to solve this mystery for you, kid.

YEAH!
Those jobs USED TO BE IN THE USA!

Now they go to chinese communists and conservatives here go YEAH! NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS! Huzzah for Bain capitalism!

I'd pay more for a product made in the USA. Because I know it wouldn't be a piece of shit.

I used to work making printed circuit boards. Now I troubleshoot motherboards for a living.
Guess what I found caused a short in one of FoxConn's boards? A bit of algae. Yes. They wash their printed circuit boards IN THEIR RIVERS. You know how TOXIC making printed circuit boards is? Is uses hydrogen peroxide for just one step. Pour some of THAT on your d**k sometime.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i06SnRCQN6U]Hydrogen Peroxide(99%) on leather HD - YouTube[/ame]

Isn't it true that the more the Tibetians self-immolate in protest, the fewer Tibetians there are to protest?

I use my purchasing power as much as I can to make a statement. Wouldn't buy anything made by a union. I'd rather buy Chinese or Indonesian.

So Romney is guilty of something a company in a blind trust did?

Seriously Joe, this is reaching even for you.

So Romney is guilty of something a company in a blind trust did?

Seriously Joe, this is reaching even for you.

Not only that, but the investment is in a partnership over which he has no control.

So the investment is in a trust over which he has no control by a partnership over which he has no control.

Next.

Should the NYTimes abandon its money losing newspaper empire in favor of investing with Bain?

Forum List

Back