Bain Capital Created 'Demoralizing' Culture of Layoffs At Florida Plant

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
For shame :eusa_naughty:

WASHINGTON -- When Dade Behring started cutting employees under Bain Capital's management in the late '90s, Cindy Hewitt was on the front lines. As a human resources manager for the Dade East plant in Miami, Hewitt had to decide which employees had needed skills and whose jobs were expendable.

Since the Republican presidential primary, Dade Behring, which made blood-testing machines and conducted animal tests at its Miami plant, has become something of a focus. Bain Capital, GOP presidential hope Mitt Romney's firm, had bought Dade and shuttered its factory in Puerto Rico in 1998. The closings continued under Bain's management.

It's become a familiar tale about Romney and Bain's business dealings. The New York Times reported that Bain pushed the profitable company into bankruptcy. The Miami Herald followed with its own chronicle of the mass layoffs and mass profits for Romney and company. The Tampa Bay Times reported that Dade had received millions in tax breaks to promote job creation in Puerto Rico one year before it closed the factory there.

Fred Gregory, an information technology consultant, said he was brought in to assist the plant closing in Miami. The cafeteria scene also stuck with him. At a certain point, he told HuffPost, he stopped eating lunch there. "I didn't want to see the women crying," he explained.

"You could walk in there and hear a pin drop," Gregory said. "You could see the emptiness. It was just huddled-up sheep. It was pathetic. It was heartbreaking, heartwrenching. You just want to hug them."

In the summer of 1998, amid mass layoffs and mandatory overtime at the Dade East plant, [Cindy Hewitt] saw workers crowded around a glass executive suite. Some shook their heads and walked away, and others just stood there staring, she recalled. She walked over to check out what was going on and found several department heads putting golf balls in the office.

"I was so upset that I walked in and picked up a golf ball and said, 'Get out and go to the golf course if you don't have anything to do.' It was the most callous, insensitive thing I had ever witnessed. I was completely dumbfounded."

WASHINGTON -- When Dade Behring started cutting employees under Bain Capital's management in the late '90s, Cindy Hewitt was on the front lines. As a human resources manager for the Dade East plant in Miami, Hewitt had to decide which employees had needed skills and whose jobs were expendable.

Since the Republican presidential primary, Dade Behring, which made blood-testing machines and conducted animal tests at its Miami plant, has become something of a focus. Bain Capital, GOP presidential hope Mitt Romney's firm, had bought Dade and shuttered its factory in Puerto Rico in 1998. The closings continued under Bain's management.

It's become a familiar tale about Romney and Bain's business dealings. The New York Times reported that Bain pushed the profitable company into bankruptcy. The Miami Herald followed with its own chronicle of the mass layoffs and mass profits for Romney and company. The Tampa Bay Times reported that Dade had received millions in tax breaks to promote job creation in Puerto Rico one year before it closed the factory there.

Fred Gregory, an information technology consultant, said he was brought in to assist the plant closing in Miami. The cafeteria scene also stuck with him. At a certain point, he told HuffPost, he stopped eating lunch there. "I didn't want to see the women crying," he explained.

"You could walk in there and hear a pin drop," Gregory said. "You could see the emptiness. It was just huddled-up sheep. It was pathetic. It was heartbreaking, heartwrenching. You just want to hug them."

In the summer of 1998, amid mass layoffs and mandatory overtime at the Dade East plant, [Cindy Hewitt] saw workers crowded around a glass executive suite. Some shook their heads and walked away, and others just stood there staring, she recalled. She walked over to check out what was going on and found several department heads putting golf balls in the office.

"I was so upset that I walked in and picked up a golf ball and said, 'Get out and go to the golf course if you don't have anything to do.' It was the most callous, insensitive thing I had ever witnessed. I was completely dumbfounded."

I actually find it rather amusing how you libs try to tell your lies...truth is you are only lying to yourselves.....

It's as if you don't realize the rest of us have access to the internet TOO! and we can find sources, real sources that tell the ENTIRE story of what you try to use for your pitiful attacks!

Pay attention now...this isn't one of your little spin websites, it's not political in nature...it just simply tells the story of a company you now wish to trash all so you can proffer more of you lies against Romney...pretty sad lot you are, really.....

History of Dade Behring Holdings Inc. – FundingUniverse

While the ink was barely dry on the creation of Dade International, a company bearing Dr. von Behring's name was spun off from Hoechst AG (which later became Aventis) and rechristened Behring Diagnostics in 1995. Soon after its formation, the company acquired a drug-testing firm called Syva Company and then the well known diagnostics and clinical chemistry division of du Pont in 1996. The next year, 1997, saw the merger of Behring Diagnostics and Dade International to become Dade Behring. The combined operations of the two companies reached sales of $1.2 billion and employed a workforce of 6,400 worldwide.

Well something you simple fucks that have never ran a lemonade stand and think every business has a bottomless wallet like the taxpayer don't understand is that a company can't pay people to stand around scratching their asses forever.

Well something you simple fucks that have never ran a lemonade stand and think every business has a bottomless wallet like the taxpayer don't understand is that a company can't pay people to stand around scratching their asses forever.

:rolleyes:

yeah, eventually they have to putt golf balls.

OOPS...so Miami's loss was Delawares gain? Funny how you libs conveniently leave that part of the story out!

2 Factories To Close In Miami - Sun Sentinel

Once again..NOTE..not a political website or story..just one giving the FACTS

Dade Behring, a newly merged maker of blood testing products, will close two factories in Miami over the next two years, affecting 850 employees, the company said on Thursday.

Production will be moved in phases to bigger factories in Delaware and Germany in an effort to cut costs.

South Florida employees will be eligible for transfer and also will be given help finding new jobs, human resources director Ray Angele said.

You gonna try to put that on Romney? They were department heads, not Bain Capital managers.

I get depressed every time I lay myself off, then I find another job.
Ah yes, being self employed means you are always looking for work. But rarely does it just falls in your lap..

You gonna try to put that on Romney? They were department heads, not Bain Capital managers.

Everything negative that happened is the fault of Romney, and if they made money it was because of government.

do you see the word romney in my post, jackass?

Wait so Bain took a company that was failing, Restructured, which yes means lay offs, and saved the company.

wow Horrible.

Luke Sissyfag was more of a man than almost any Democrat

Sounds like somebody's getting their crush on! You go girl, don't let no silly old gossips mess up your imaginary love life, I'm sure in his imagination you are quite the hunkly man as well!

Sounds like somebody's getting their crush on! You go girl, don't let no silly old gossips mess up your imaginary love life, I'm sure in his imagination you are quite the hunkly man as well!

Did you know who he was

The libs still attacking bain? say it aint so, yet still ignore obamas track record. U can see what scares them.

I don't know about cruisin(man-crush)Frank, but as I've repeatedly said the best thing that could happen to this nation in the next 6 months would be to have Obama and every serving Democrat be sent home to where-ever after the November elections. Unfortunately, the worst thing that could happen to the country over the next four years would be to elect any current Republicans to any seat in government.
A catch 22 of the worst kind.
Too bad we can't just throw everyone out of office and draft a new congress, executive branch and judiciary!

Forum List

Back