Badly Rated Movies That You Really Liked

Corky Romano!
It got terrible reviews and I laughed my ass off all the way through it, and still do!

I love the Conan movies...Conan and Conan the Destroyer. I have watched them so many times, and will watch them many more times. When my dvd wears out, I buy another. I'm on my 3rd.

Also loved The Money Pit.

I about die every single time I see the scene where they're hauling the guy up to the second floor. They're using a rope around his middle and he's holding a mattress and squeaks out "You're killing me".

Also funny is when Tom Hanks takes a piss and the tree he is pissing behind falls down..followed by all the rest of the trees in the grove.

Another great movie that didn't do great: Funny Farm with Chevy Chase.

I know it's a horrible movie, but I love The Fifth Element.

:redface:
Horrible???

Luc Besson, Bruce Willis, Mila Jovovich, Chris Tucker, Ian Holm.... HORRIBLE???!!!!????

Not on your life! It's easily a top 15 maybe top 10 SF film in the last 35 years!

BTW, it's also the largest grossing FRENCH film of all time. LOL

Baaaadaboom!

I will take Deep Impact over Armageddon every time. Why? Much more realistic and better character development. Armageddon is an action schlockfest with the depth of a parking lot puddle. But it's a fun popcorn movie.

The character development in Armageddon is there but it is subtle and takes more than one viewing to sort it out among all the overdone special effects and sometimes overbearing sound track. But the director did a really good job keeping everybody in character. It is a movie that does require extra viewings to fully appreciate though. Pirates of the Carribbean was a movie like that too.

But I'll take your recommendation and check out Deep Impact.

Among volcano movies, my favorite to date is Dante's Peak. St. Helens wasn't bad. Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones sucked. I've tried to love it and just can't.
Out of the volcano films, with the exception of 3 specific points, Dante's Peak is ALMOST scientifically accurate... but it most certainly the more believable. Erupting La Brea Tar Pits????? puleeeeeze. LOL

I will take Deep Impact over Armageddon every time. Why? Much more realistic and better character development. Armageddon is an action schlockfest with the depth of a parking lot puddle. But it's a fun popcorn movie.

The character development in Armageddon is there but it is subtle and takes more than one viewing to sort it out among all the overdone special effects and sometimes overbearing sound track. But the director did a really good job keeping everybody in character. It is a movie that does require extra viewings to fully appreciate though. Pirates of the Carribbean was a movie like that too.

Among volcano movies, my favorite to date is Dante's Peak. St. Helens wasn't bad. Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones sucked. I've tried to love it and just can't.
Out of the volcano films, with the exception of 3 specific points, Dante's Peak is ALMOST scientifically accurate... but it most certainly the more believable. Erupting La Brea Tar Pits????? puleeeeeze. LOL

Now Jillian has me adding The Fifth Element to 'must see' movies.

I don't require complete realism or believability in movies or technical accuracy--I allow for poetic license and a bit of pure fantasy. I want movies that draw me into them and allow me to just live the movie for an hour or two. I don't want to be distracted by worrying about whether its technically accurate or not either in the history, theology, or science. :)

Now Mr. Foxfyre, wants it to be real. He gets really frustrated at the least bit of dramatic license or hokeyness that don't bother me in the least. Unless its a western in which everything is real as far as he is concerned. :)

His favorites: "Conagher" and "Open Range", both of which really are good movies.

Now Jillian has me adding The Fifth Element to 'must see' movies.

I don't require complete realism or believability in movies or technical accuracy--I allow for poetic license and a bit of pure fantasy. I want movies that draw me into them and allow me to just live the movie for an hour or two. I don't want to be distracted by worrying about whether its technically accurate or not either in the history, theology, or science. :)

Now Mr. Foxfyre, wants it to be real. He gets really frustrated at the least bit of dramatic license or hokeyness that don't bother me in the least. Unless its a western in which everything is real as far as he is concerned. :)

His favorites: "Conagher" and "Open Range", both of which really are good movies.
I'm not a big western fan, but I liked "Tombstone" and "Blazing Saddles". "Young Guns" had some of the funniest one liners ever but is garbage in so many ways otherwise.

ooh ooh... and "Maverick"... well that got decent reviews. nevermind.

Rene Harlin at his over the top worst/best.

That said, this movie made Oscar Winner Geena Davis a badass on the screen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDuma1M09B0]YouTube - Long Kiss Goodnight Trailer[/ame]

Some of the best one liners in action film.

Watching it now.

"Back when we first met, you were like "Oh phooey, I burned the darn muffins." Now, you go into a bar and sailors come running out. What up with that?

Last edited:
I loved this movie

"Stardust"
I highly recommend it :)

I thought it would be silly, but it captured me and held me hostage, I wanted this movie to last forever

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6_gBg4XjWk]YouTube - Stardust Trailer[/ame]

I also really liked this movie.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NikEQy1XxDE"]YouTube - Children Of Men Trailer[/ame]

freaks 1932 b/w todd browning

tremors....look i dont wann hear it...kevin bacon in tight jeans...o my

pumpkin head.....i love that movie....love it...

paris trout ...dennis hopper

and i know most of the dialogue to urban cowboy

* i am so ashamed*

You won't hear anything from me about Tremors...I love that movie,I've seen it (and the rest of the series of movies that came after) a million times. :tongue:

Oh, I LOVE Tremors. It's one of those movies that when you run across it on one of those obscure cable channels you just stop and sit down and watch again. It's one of those movies that you cannot not watch.
The Matrix is that kind of movie too.

I didn't know there were sequels of Tremors though. They are good too? So often the sequels are disappointing when compared to the original.

Another one I ususally watch that is kinda similar ( if I see it while channel surfing) is that crazy one about the giant gator. Lake Placid...it has Bill Pullman,Oliver Platt and Betty White. Corny, but I can't not watch it LOL.

If you look up Phantom of the Opera (1925) on youtube, you can watch the actual original version. The version that was eventually released to the public was hacked and some scenes re-shot.

The VHS versions I've had did not have the original musical score; which, IMO detracts from the atmosphere of the movie.

Good to know..I will do that. Looking at the VHS I just assumed it was the original version based on the cover,it said it was the "classic edition" (and was filmed in 1943). Looking forward to watching it though,this is a musical I'm not that familiar with.

The one from 1943 has Herbert Lom and Claude Rains in it and is a talkie. The 1925 version is silent starring Lon Chaney and Mary Philbin.

The 1925 version sounds interesting,I will have to check it out!

I just don't like horror movies. Never have. Well, I can appreciate the genius in some of those patterned after Stephen King novels: "Carrie", "The Shining", "The Green Mile".

But I love disaster movies and the critics almost universally dislike them. I've got a bunch of them in my collection though.

I love to read horror books...but hate to watch the movies. Don't like blood,guts and gore as visuals...and the sound effects just turn me off completely.
you need to watch the classic horror films of the 1950's then. They would be classified thrillers today but they often did not have a happy ending. The original version of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting" is fantastic. The remake done by Michael Bey is pretty lousy.

Also, those old horror films do NOT have a happy ending. At least the good ones don't or they're ambiguous at best.

I love ghost stories,so I will definately check out original version of The Haunting you listed. Thanks for the tip!

Good to know..I will do that. Looking at the VHS I just assumed it was the original version based on the cover,it said it was the "classic edition" (and was filmed in 1943). Looking forward to watching it though,this is a musical I'm not that familiar with.

The one from 1943 has Herbert Lom and Claude Rains in it and is a talkie. The 1925 version is silent starring Lon Chaney and Mary Philbin.

The 1925 version sounds interesting,I will have to check it out!

Here ya go
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgiPXFVY0T8]YouTube - The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - Full Movie[/ame]

Love the Claud Rains version.

"You will love it down here Christine".

Interesting. The modern (Andrew Lloyd Webber) version sure bears little resemblance to the originals. About the only thing they didn't change was the setting (an opera house) and the roles and names of the characters.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HWNKDmlnnQ]YouTube - Music of the Night - The Phantom of the Opera[/ame]

Who remembers THIS one?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fi0wTMuq5c]YouTube - Ghost Story[/ame]

Interesting. The modern (Andrew Lloyd Webber) version sure bears little resemblance to the originals. About the only thing they didn't change was the setting (an opera house) and the roles and names of the characters.

YouTube - Music of the Night - The Phantom of the Opera

I think they are actually very similar.

How about this one The Phantom of the paradise

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n5qVJEg3qA]YouTube - Phantom Of The Paradise Trailer[/ame]

New Topics

Forum List

Back