Badgers eating hedgehogs.

Arent possums and squirrels considered to be a delicacy in the US ?
Delicacy?

:haha:

More like a free lunch to the poor.

Folks like you want the have the government impose rules, regulations, licenses, taxation and fee on everything though, so folks don't bother as much as they used to. If it isn't cheaper than McDonald's, what bother? It sure as hell deosn't taste better.

I'm not sure if they are considered pest species anymore. And most squirrels you need to pay to take as well. The government wants a cut of everything.

considered small game

need a license to blast

they are tasty though

but it is rather a stretch to call them delicacy

That is, in essence, what I meant.

If there was no license to bag them, it would be more common place for everyone to take them.

And they wouldn't be such a damn nuisance.

Delicacy?

Folks like you want the have the government impose rules, regulations, licenses, taxation and fee on everything though, so folks don't bother as much as they used to. If it isn't cheaper than McDonald's, what bother? It sure as hell deosn't taste better.

I'm not sure if they are considered pest species anymore. And most squirrels you need to pay to take as well. The government wants a cut of everything.

Squirrels are actually very tasty.
And by no means do I eat them because I'm poor.
Although I'll take an Axis over any wild game in Texas....
axis-buck-hunts-1024x768.jpeg

You can steak out the whole animal regardless if it's a buck or a doe.
Tastes a lot like beef.

I didn't say they were bad tasting. He asked if they were a "delicacy."

If you walk into a five star restaurant, ANY five star restaurant, in any metropolis in N. America, you won't find a single one, ANYWHERE serving squirrel.

Nobody is eating any an fine course dinner entry of squirrel before a night at the Met or an evening on Broadway.

The way the wife cooks em? They're a delicacy!!!

Delicacy?

considered small game

need a license to blast

they are tasty though

but it is rather a stretch to call them delicacy

That is, in essence, what I meant.

If there was no license to bag them, it would be more common place for everyone to take them.

And they wouldn't be such a damn nuisance.

You dont know how many times I've contemplated screwing rat traps on our Oaks.
You can fill a freezer fast with this method!
Of course the neighborhood association and the game warden might have a problem with it.
I thought about gigging all the huge bullfrogs on the golf course pond behind the house as well but I was worried about pesticides and fertilizers...someone else apparently wasnt worried because they're all gone now.

Last edited:
There is no hedgehog in the U.S.A, except in cages.
Don't need 'em. We got 'possum and Armadillos. They don't have those over there.
Maybe your badgers ate them all ?

Perhaps I wasn't making myself clear. Even though we don't have hedgehogs, those same ecological niches are occupied by Opossums and Armadillos.

But like the hedgehog there, here these are the dumbest critters, and they litter our highways as well. Down south, the Armadillos biggest problem is cars, and in the north, but Opossums biggest problem is cars.

Opossums, when threatened, play dead, and give off a rank odor, though not as pungent as the skunk. Armadillos, like the hedgehog, has an exterior defense, but is far superior, so it has very few predators. The badger is not among them.

Chances are, a 9mm will be NOT be enough to dispatch a hedgehog. You'll need more than that, a shot gun, or something with more kick to pierce the hide of an Armadillo. They're Texas tough.

A bullet ricochets off an armadillo and hits the shooter. Two years later, Twitter goes nuts
150723201101-armadillo-exlarge-169.jpg

A bullet ricochets off an armadillo and hits the shooter. Two years later, Twitter goes nuts - CNN

Georgia man wounds mother-in-law after bullet ricochets off armadillo
Georgia man wounds mother-in-law after bullet ricochets off armadillo

TARKUS! I gotta get me one of those!

Delicacy?

Tastes a lot like beef.

If you walk into a five star restaurant, ANY five star restaurant, in any metropolis in N. America, you won't find a single one, ANYWHERE serving squirrel.

Nobody is eating any an fine course dinner entry of squirrel before a night at the Met or an evening on Broadway.

Sure sure.

13c2e287a415921646ef94830f20c52b.jpg

Delicacy?

Tastes a lot like beef.

Sure sure.

That stuffs terrible!!!!

Delicacy?

----------------------------- and thats why i say , i'm old enough to remember hunting , fishing , camping all being done for free .

Delicacy?

Tastes a lot like beef.

Sure sure.

That stuffs terrible!!!!

pan fried on the stove in butter

Tastes a lot like beef.

Sure sure.

That stuffs terrible!!!!

pan fried on the stove in butter

My favorite is slow cooked like a pot roast with taters,carrots and onions.

Forum List

Back