Bad teachers

Any statement such as "leftist teacher's unions and the school administrators of cultural Marxism" reveals a writer who did not have parental involvement at school.

Get the parents involved at school.

It reveals exactly the opposite. It shows someone who understands what goes on in government schools.

Yes its good to blame all of society's ills on teachers. They are responsible for everything that is bad. Troll thread... funny.

If you include professors at public universities, then yeah, they pretty much are responsible for every problem that is humanly solvable.

Any statement such as "leftist teacher's unions and the school administrators of cultural Marxism" reveals a writer who did not have parental involvement at school.

when we move here down south I remember the teachers suggested a list of books for children to read over the summer vacation. What a blow back from some parents whining about kids shouldn't have to do any school work over the summer and they would be busy with vacation bible "school", (because everyone KNOWS you can't read and learn when you are attending a few hours a day bible school :uhoh3: )

And so much for the parents

And Guano makes up another story that is too preposterous for anyone with two brain cells to rub together to believe.

A few things I would do to improve education.

1) Get rid of Summer Vacations. There's no good reason why these kids should get three months off to forget most of what they learned. A couple weeks, fine.

2) Stop teaching writing in cursive. No one does that anymore except for their signature. It's more important to teach them how to type.

3) Less feel good stuff, more of the basics- math, reading, history, science.

4) Reform the rules so it's easier to get rid of truly bad teachers.

Here's the one step solution: abolish government schools.

I went to a teachers union rally..
I had with me a stack of report cards from various students.

This union teacher said to me "If im a bad teacher prove it"
So I did.

I read off the report cards in his face..

F, F, F, F, F, F, F, F, F, D, D, D, D, F, F, F, D, D, D, F, F, F, D, D, D, D, F, F, C, C, D, D, F, F, F..

all the way down the line, and I said... that is what you get when you wont control your classroom, or teach your students or suit the needs of your students.

Then I punched him his face.

:)

Let's assume this story was true, although my doubts are to the highest degree.

And all of those grade cards were from her students, and she was not teaching a special class of any kind. She should have a great deal to explain. There were approximately 40 grades. Did that represent all of her students? Forty out of how many?

Did she reteach and have proof of that? Did she teach and test in smaller sections? were the students ready for the class to begin with? Were they reading at a level the text book was written in? If not, did she prepare study sheets in lower reading levels to impart the knowledge necessary to pass the class?

efficacy - the ability to produce a desired or intended result. Doing what is necessary to change the failure to success.

Punching someone in the face never is the recommended solution.

Last edited:

1) Get rid of Summer Vacations. There's no good reason why these kids should get three months off to forget most of what they learned. A couple weeks, fine.

Dude, we all know that the teachers would NEVER stand for that!

2) Stop teaching writing in cursive. No one does that anymore except for their signature. It's more important to teach them how to type.

I agree with numbers 1, 3, 4 but not 2.

The early grades K,1,2 should be nothing but reading, creative writing and math. No student shall be passed to the next grade without the proper foundation in the core (reading, math) areas. No more social promotions.

when we move here down south I remember the teachers suggested a list of books for children to read over the summer vacation. What a blow back from some parents whining about kids shouldn't have to do any school work over the summer and they would be busy with vacation bible "school", (because everyone KNOWS you can't read and learn when you are attending a few hours a day bible school :uhoh3: )

you know that's interesting because when we moved here up north I remember the teachers suggested a list of books for children to read over the summer vacation. What a blow back from some parents whining about kids shouldn't have to do any school work over the summer and they would be busy with learning how to put a condom on a banana, (because everyone KNOWS you can't read and learn when you are lernin' to do dat :uhoh3: )

Then they shouldn't be teachers. Get rid of unions and assemble Teacher Professional Organizations that honor good teachers and have classes for proven positive motivational techniques, and teaching units.

Abolishing summer vacations would disrupt travel plans for countless families. One cannot take a 5 week family trip to Europe if the kid only has two weeks off school in the summer months.

Abolishing summer vacations would disrupt travel plans for countless families. One cannot take a 5 week family trip to Europe if the kid only has two weeks off school in the summer months.

And there are countless families who take 5 week trips to Europe...:eusa_hand:

Since most of us can't afford a five week trip to Europe, I'm really not that concerned.

Anyone who is taking a five week trip to Europe is probably sending his kid to some academy where you don't have to deal with 'those people'. (i.e. The rest of us.)

And you base that on what?

You pay them for that extra time, they'll be all for it.

I agree with those who say the main impact on student performance in school is the parents: parent involvement and home environment.

Schools have to deal with a great many social problems and often their focus is off of edcuation and on dealing with a multitude of social problems. Those social problems should be handled by parents and home environment, not by schools, or not mainly by schools. Too many parents drop their kids off at school as if they are dropping dry cleaning off and expect the school to 'fix' their kids' social and educational needs. Most parents are not doing their part.

As far as summers off: kids need some free time away from the structure of school. In a family that is doing it right, kids will go to camp (If you don't have much money, you send your kid to day camp: that's what I did as a kid because we had very little money.), or they will go to Bible school, or be involved in some other activity. We went to day camp, we went to Red Cross swimming lessons at the local municipal pool, etc. Kids need a break from school because school is very intense and too structured for children to do all year long. BTW, they don't get 3 months off anymore, it is generally only two.

Reading during summer is a great idea. Parents who object to that are probably not people who are readers. Generally, people who are readers are people with a better understanding of our language and a broader understanding of life in general. People should encourage their kids to read over the summer. Read for pleasure. It's a different kind of reading than they do in school.

People should never lose the ability to write by hand. That is a terrible mistake. We all need to be able to read and write in cursive script.

If you want the best people to enter the profession of teaching, you need to offer them better working conditions, respect and salary. That's a bottom line if you want the best people as teachers and school administrators. It's too bad people think teachers are over paid, but these people have university degrees and should be paid well. Also, every teacher in America has to do continuing education to keep their teaching certificate up to date: every 5 years something like 15 college credits. How many of you do that to keep your job? It's expensive for one thing. But it keeps them up to date on teaching methods and teaching issues.

There are going to be inadequate teachers just like there are inadequate workers in any profession. But most teachers are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Last edited:

And you base that on what?

You pay them for that extra time, they'll be all for it.

Why should we pay them extra for working a normal year like everyone else?

And Guano makes up another story that is too preposterous for anyone with two brain cells to rub together to believe.

Having been both a private school board president and a public school board president as well, I have heard exactly what guno recited above from the parents of the public schoolkids, and I believe it was no more than four or five.

Forum List

Back