Bad or Good ?

I would bet it is probably bad but have not real data.

I would expect most teachers to just automate old fashioned methods.

Of course some kids could be using computers for useful learning experiences which have nothing to do with what educators tell the kids to do.

psik

Bad.....instead of learning the concept of how to resolve a problem in your brain using a pencil and piece paper....you just push a few buttons. Might be one of the problems why our children aren't as smart as they were in past generations with certain subjects.
One could argue the fact, that it started with the invention of the wheel.

Technology has a much greater potential to positively effect education than hinder it. The amount of diverse material that can be obtained quickly and easily is a tremendous step forward for society. It would also seem that in spite of the technological crutch kids are still failing and graduating high school with empty heads.

Technology is not the reason children are not as "smart" as they were in the past. If this were the case society would be taking technological steps backwards with each successive generation. Instead I blame the decay of the education system. Students are not pushed to excel they are simply shown how to get by by the teachers and school administrators.

My brother is a perfect example he is an intelligent person, but his grades are average and he can not get the scores he needs on the ACT. He knows what score he needs and thats all he wants. It is not that he lacks the intellectual capacity to learn the material and excel academically, its just that he is not put in a position where he is under the gun and must perform. Kids today are not being shown how to use their potential because the school system is to busy making sure everyone passes and no feelings get hurt.

It changes what people need to learn:

With the calculator and spell-check one no longer needs to know basic math or how to spell -
yet, people need to learn how to use a calculator and word processor.

Last edited:
Bad.....instead of learning the concept of how to resolve a problem in your brain using a pencil and piece paper....you just push a few buttons. Might be one of the problems why our children aren't as smart as they were in past generations with certain subjects.
One could argue the fact, that it started with the invention of the wheel.

I agree. It takes out a lot of the thinking process, so they're not really learning it completely. You can get the same answer, but if you don't fully understand why/how you got the answer-you're not going to be as smart as you could be.

With the internet instead of having to do research, people can just google the information, or use wikipedia. From there you find the footnotes, and use those sites. There's no thinking/creativity involved.

Things when being launched or has to be taught have always been two opposite effects - good or bad. And this is also works true when it comes to technology. Technology nowadays has either a good effect or a bad effect to everybody's life. So to be short, the only one who can have the best move is the one that will use his mind to the best of his capacity .

Forum List

Back