Bad News Keeps Coming: Sony Postpones Killing bin Laden Release Date

bitterlyclingin

Silver Member
Aug 4, 2011
(Maureen Dowd can breathe a sigh of relief, the film version of Killing Osama bin Laden is going to be postponed till past the date of the November, 2012 election, so it will inevitably lose the appearance of the studio's attempting to curry political favor out of the Obama Administration. Or perhaps its a recognition of the political reality on the ground and didn't want to have to explain its decision to release the a few weeks before the election to a President Herman Cain when it later seeks a favor from the White House.)

"Aww: Sony will postpone opening of The Obama Is Totally Awesome blockbuster movie

Officially, it’s called Untitled International Thriller, but the original release date of October 12, 2012 for the film based on the SEAL Team 6 mission that killed Osama bin Laden had even Maureen Dowd questioning the motives of the filmmakers — and of the White House, which was apparently cooperating with the filmmakers and providing inside information. Republicans in Congress expressed outrage, promised investigations, and proposed laws to block Hollywood from gaining access to information.

Coincidentally or not, Sony has moved the release date for the film:

Sony likely won’t be releasing Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal’s untitled project about the hunt for Osama Bin Laden before the 2012 Presidential election as planned.

Originally skedded to launch Oct. 12, the studio said it will definitely move the film — but is considering a few different options as to when."

Aww: Sony will postpone opening of The Obama Is Totally Awesome blockbuster movie « Hot Air

I'm not an expert on the film industry, but my impression is that films are very rarely released on the original release date. Production houses schedule release dates too soon to try to generate attention and get things moving, and then things inevitably slip. Given that no particular progress has been made on the film, I doubt they could possibly have released it in October 2012.

I doubt the proximity of the original release date to the election was a coincidence. I think that Sony's intent in scheduling it near the election was almost certainly to generate publicity for their movie rather than for the Obama reelection campaign, though.

I'm not an expert on the film industry, but my impression is that films are very rarely released on the original release date. Production houses schedule release dates too soon to try to generate attention and get things moving, and then things inevitably slip. Given that no particular progress has been made on the film, I doubt they could possibly have released it in October 2012.

I doubt the proximity of the original release date to the election was a coincidence. I think that Sony's intent in scheduling it near the election was almost certainly to generate publicity for their movie rather than for the Obama reelection campaign, though.

Yeah, the first thing I think of on election day is Bin Laden. Lets be real, this film was made to make money, and help get Obama elected.

Now we can only speculate, but I believe all the negative reaction that this release date was garnering, made Sony push back the film.....I know for a fact that many people would have protested it, and Sony would have lost credibility.

this film was made to make money, and help get Obama elected.[/B]
Now we can only speculate, but I believe all the negative reaction that this release date was garnering, made Sony push back the film.....I know for a fact that many people would have protested it, and Sony would have lost credibility.

Speculation is exactly what you're doing when you say that the film release date was intended to help Obama. Actually, it's beyond speculation; it's asinine.

I think Republicans need to worry less about a stupid movie than the weakness of their own candidates.

I remember when Michael Moore released Fahrenheit 9/11. And all the Democrats crowed about how it was going to do in Bush. And it made a lot of money. 222 million worldwide.

Did it have an effect on the election? Not really.

Neither will this.

2012 will be a choice if we want to continue with Obama's myopic leadership or take a chance on one of the useless GOP candidates won't make matters worse. given what I am seeing on the GOP side, where the grownups like Pawlenty, Perry, and Daniels are shunted to the side while it turns into this freakish side show between Romney and Cain, I've kind of reconciled myself to the fact we are going to just have to learn to live with Barry.

this film was made to make money, and help get Obama elected.[/B]

Speculation is exactly what you're doing when you say that the film release date was intended to help Obama. Actually, it's beyond speculation; it's asinine.

If my theory is asinine, than there would be a logical theory to disprove it.

I think Republicans need to worry less about a stupid movie than the weakness of their own candidates.

I remember when Michael Moore released Fahrenheit 9/11. And all the Democrats crowed about how it was going to do in Bush. And it made a lot of money. 222 million worldwide.

Neither will this.

2012 will be a choice if we want to continue with Obama's myopic leadership or take a chance on one of the useless GOP candidates won't make matters worse. given what I am seeing on the GOP side, where the grownups like Pawlenty, Perry, and Daniels are shunted to the side while it turns into this freakish side show between Romney and Cain, I've kind of reconciled myself to the fact we are going to just have to learn to live with Barry.

Remember democrats up in arms about that move on Hillary Clinton?

Neither will this.

Remember democrats up in arms about that move on Hillary Clinton?

They were up in arms because that was a clear political commercial.

It unfortunately led to the worst Supreme Court decision, ever. So maybe they should have kept their mouths shut.

Forum List

Back