Bad News for Our Democracy

MJDuncan1982

Jun 29, 2004
Mississippi
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/28/florida.voting.ap/index.html

Electronic voting seems like a risky idea. In Georgia, my state, we use only electronic voting and I don't find it reassuring. If they would simply print out a hard copy in order to ensure a valid recount it would be alright with me. Computers can wreak havoc on a word document...I sure don't won't those same mistakes occurring with our Democracy. Thoughts?

while electronic voting sounds cool, chic, or trendy it is inherently a security risk and vulnerable to all sorts of malicious intent.

gimme a piece of paper and a #2 pencil anytime. What the hell is the hurry in getting election results anyway? Electronic voting is begging for cries of foul. If the election is any where near close I GUARANTEEE we will have another mess like 2000.

I agree with all that's been said. I didn't like the idea of electronic voting from the moment I heard about it. We have the good old fashioned pencil and paper here, so there's no hanging chads, no doubt who you voted for, nobody determining "voter intent", and certainly no chance of someone hacking the system or some computer foul up.

Good point on wanting the results faster. Seems like after the crap in 2000 they would be more than willing to take the time to make sure it's done right.

I've said it before - when it comes to voting, if it's not on paper, I don't trust it. There are too many ways to corrupt the results of electronic voting.

I don't know anyone who actually wants electronic voting except overzealous election officials who want to show that they are part of the Information Age.

The dems in florida are encouraging everyone to vote on an absentee ballot. Lawyers from both sides are already retained. whew-----------

Merlin1047 said:
I've said it before - when it comes to voting, if it's not on paper, I don't trust it. There are too many ways to corrupt the results of electronic voting.

I think you point out the problem. The biggest problem with this system is people won't trust the results. The 2000 election fiasco was almost fatal to our stability. Without a paper record and a repeat of such a close race, we'd certainly flirt with genuine instability and a breakdown in the system.

We absolutely need to ensure an accountable process. Although I believe an electronic voting process would be most efficient, the perception and/or reality of any tampering could potentially lead us into a serious crisis and perhaps even civil war.

Forum List

Back