Bad News For Libs - Progress In Baghdad Is Being Made

red states rule

May 30, 2006
More bad news for libs as they gear up for the pro terrorists rally in DC today

Idiocy in D.C.,
Progress in Baghdad
The surge is working--that's what matters.
by William Kristol
03/26/2007, Volume 012, Issue 27

In order to preserve the cosmic harmony, it seems the gods insist that good news in one place be offset by misfortune elsewhere. It may well be that Gen. David Petraeus is going to lead us to victory in Iraq. He is certainly off to a good start. If the karmic price of success in Iraq is utter embarrassment for senior Bush officials in Washington, D.C.--well, in our judgment, the trade-off is worth it. The world will surely note our success or failure in Iraq. It will not long remember the gang that couldn't shoot straight at the Justice Department--or, for that matter, the antics of congressional Democrats--unless either so weakens the administration as to undercut our mission in Iraq.

Obviously, it's too early to say anything more definitive than that there are real signs of progress in Baghdad. The cocksure defeatism of war critics of two months ago, when the surge was announced, does seem to have been misplaced. The latest Iraq Update (pdf) by Kimberly Kagan summarizes the early effects of the new strategy backed up by, as yet, just one additional U.S. brigade deployed in theater (with more to be added in the coming weeks):

This "rolling surge" focuses forces on a handful of neighborhoods in Baghdad, and attempts to expand security out from those neighborhoods. . . . A big advantage of a "rolling surge" is that the population and the enemy sense the continuous pressure of ever-increasing forces. Iraqis have not seen such
a prolonged and continuous planned increase of U.S. forces before. . . . The continued, increasing presence of U.S. forces appears to be having an important psychological, as well as practical, effect on the enemy and the people of Iraq. . . . [Meanwhile] in Ramadi, in the belt south of Baghdad stretching from Yusifiyah to Salman Pak, and northeast in Diyala Province, . . . U.S. and Iraqi forces have deprived al Qaeda of the initiative.
This sense of momentum is confirmed by many other reports in the media, and from Americans and Iraqis on the ground.

But back in Washington, congressional Democrats are still mired in the fall of 2006 and seem determined to be as irresponsible as ever. They're being beaten back--in part thanks to the fighting spirit of stalwart congressional Republicans. Last week, the Senate defeated a resolution that would have restricted the use of U.S. troops in Iraq and set March 31, 2008, as a target date for removing U.S. forces from combat.

On the same day, on a mostly party-line vote, the House Appropriations Committee reported out the Democratic version of a supplemental appropriations bill for the war. It was an odd piece of legislation--an appropriation to fight a war replete with provisions intended to ensure we lose it.

Here's what the Democratic legislation does, according to the Washington Post: "Under the House bill, the Iraqi government would have to meet strict benchmarks. . . . If by July 1 the president could not certify any progress, U.S. troops would begin leaving Iraq, to be out before the end of this year. If Bush did certify progress, the Iraqi government would have until Oct. 1 to meet the benchmarks, or troops would begin withdrawing then. In any case, withdrawals would have to begin by March 1, 2008, and conclude by the end of that summer."

Got that? Oh yes, in addition to the arbitrary timelines for the removal of troops, there's pork. As the Post explains, "Included in the legislation is a lot of money to help win support. The price tag exceeds the president's war request by $24 billion." Some of the extra money goes to bail out spinach farmers hurt by E. coli, to pay for peanut storage, and to provide additional office space for the lawmakers themselves. So much for an emergency war appropriations bill.

The legislation may collapse on the floor of the House this week. It certainly deserves to. Republicans can insist on a clean supplemental--no timelines to reassure the enemy that if they just hang on, we'll be gone before long, and no pork. They can win this fight--and if they do, combined with progress in Iraq, the lasting news from March 2007 will not be Bush administration haplessness; it will be that we are on the way to success in Iraq.

--William Kristol

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/416urcoa.asp

I was laughing at you, not the story.

Ted Koppel Tells Shocking Truth About Iraq and War on Terror (Updated w-videos)
Posted by Noel Sheppard on March 11, 2007 - 13:55.
Former “Nightline” anchor Ted Koppel was one of Tim Russert’s guests on Sunday’s “Meet the Press.” As amazing as it might seem, he made some truly shocking and compelling statements about the Iraq war and the war on terror that virtually no Democrat or media member is willing to accept or report:

First, Koppel made it clear that America’s premature departure from Iraq would turn the entire Persian Gulf region into a battlefield between Sunnis and Shia, “something the United States cannot allow to happen”
Second, he said the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are part of the war on terror that “has been going on for the past 24 years” starting when “the precursors of Hezbollah blew up the U.S. marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon” in 1983
Finally, he stated that America’s departure from Iraq and Afghanistan, regardless of when it occurs, will not represent the end of this battle, but, instead, that it is just “going to be a different war” after that point.
Here are the shocking excerpts in chronological order (MSN video available here with segment 1 at minute 14:10, segment 2 at minute 19:00, and segment 3 here. Update: Dan Riehl has all three quotes edited together in one video here):

Koppel: I made a little note here of something that Ambassador Khalilzad said to you a moment ago. He said, “The region will not be stable until Iraq is stabilized.” It’s the one thing nobody talks about. Everyone is concerned about the United States being in the middle of a civil war inside Iraq. But they forget about the fact that if U.S. troops were to pull out of Iraq, that civil war could become a regional war between Sunnis and Shia. And the region, just in case anyone has forgotten, is the Persian Gulf, where we get most of our oil, and, I’ve talked about this before, natural gas. So, the idea of pulling out of there and letting the region, letting the national civil war expand into a regional civil war, something the United States cannot allow to happen.

Amazing. For those interested, I wrote an article about this very subject in November. I must say I find it extraordinary that any major media figure is coming out so strongly and making such a declaration, especially on such a popular Sunday talk show.

Yet, the best was still to come, as a little later on in the discussion, Russert asked Koppel a very telling question:

Ted Koppel, you are tonight airing on the Discovery Channel a special called “Our Children’s Children’s War,” the “long war” as you call it repeatedly, that this war on terror is much more than just Iraq, and it’s going to go on for a long time.

Amazing. Did Tim Russert just accidentally admit that the war in Iraq is indeed a part of the war on terror? Shocking. Yet, not close to as shocking as Koppel’s answer:

It could go on, I mean, Gen. Abizaid with whom I spoke talked into terms of generations. And, if you think about two things, that’s not so hard to imagine. Number one, the Cold War after all, lasted 50 years. Uh, we didn’t know it when we began it. We didn’t know it, we didn’t know how long it was going to be when we were in the middle of it. But, it lasted half a century.

If you look back at the elements of the war against terrorism, that war was going on, and has been going on for the past 24 years. We just didn’t connect the dots. 24 years ago, the precursors of Hezbollah blew up the U.S. marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. That was 1983, 241 Americans killed. In the interim between then and now you had two attacks on the World Trade Center, you had the blowing up of Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia, you had the attempt to blow up the U.S.S. Cole, you had the bombing of the two U.S. embassies in East Africa. This war’s already been going on for 24 years; we were just a little bit slow to recognize it.

Amazing. How many members of the Democrat Party or their media minions are willing to make such a claim? While you ponder that question, here was the third extraordinary statement by Koppel:

I see a lot of wishful thinking going on here in Washington right now. I mean when Congress talks about, first of all, setting these these milestones. And, the irony is if the Iraqis successfully meet the milestones, the implication is we stay. If they fail to meet the milestones we leave. That doesn’t make any sense at all. It ought to be the other way around. If they fail, we stay because they need us. If they succeed, we can start to pull out again.

So, I, I have this feeling that on the one hand, the Democrats are making a great deal of hay out of saying we have to get out of Iraq, and indeed we do at some point or another. But the notion that the war will be over when we pull out of Iraq, and even when we pull out of Afghanistan, you heard what Gen. Abizaid had to say, it’s not going to be over. It’s going to be a different war, but the war continues.

Wow. Shocking stuff that you won’t hear from most of the left, and virtually all of the media who are calling for troop withdrawals.

Bravo, Ted. Nicely done.

Good for Ted. Seems to me that in retirement he is remembering the beginnings of his fame. It was during the Iran crisis, Vol I.

eh, he was telling the truth - something libs will attack him for. Was he wrong on any of the PROGRESS being made in Iraq?

I didn't attack him did I. No he wasn't wrong. But everything is NOT HONKEY DOREY as the president would like you to believe. They just used SWIMMING POOL cleaner to hurt/kill people.

I didn't attack him did I. No he wasn't wrong. But everything is NOT HONKEY DOREY as the president would like you to believe. They just used SWIMMING POOL cleaner to hurt/kill people.

Would you support the war if the President stood up and said

"Hey, America, everything is not Honkey (hunky?) Dorey in Iraq", but we need to stablize the region ........ which is pretty hard when they insist on using chemical warfare to kill each other"?

I doubt it. There are just some people who want to attack everything that is currently being done without providing an alternative solution.

If we never went to IRAQ in the first place we wouldnt be in this mess. Oh thats right..Saddam was going to KILL US ALL...If it wasnt for George we would all be dead right now by the bad ol Terrorists. Of course that is what the republicans would have you believe. The republicans sure have done a number on alot of you people here. You are all scared shitless of the terrorists. Just look at red states. He is scared shitless that the terrorists are going to take his country from him...LOL...

If we never went to IRAQ in the first place we wouldnt be in this mess.

And you know this, how? Can you tell the future?

The war against us has been going on for decades (see Koppel interview), except that we thought it was just a series of minor battles (to which Clinton thought could be handled as crimes rather than attacks) .......after 9/11 we decided to be fully engaged with the enemy and Iraq was the battlefield we chose rather than America.

It's really sad that some can't fathom this aspect of why we are in Iraq.

If we never went to IRAQ in the first place we wouldnt be in this mess. Oh thats right..Saddam was going to KILL US ALL...If it wasnt for George we would all be dead right now by the bad ol Terrorists. Of course that is what the republicans would have you believe. The republicans sure have done a number on alot of you people here. You are all scared shitless of the terrorists. Just look at red states. He is scared shitless that the terrorists are going to take his country from him...LOL...

what a stupid post. Typical 6th grade michael moore thinking.

This just proves that you and the libs are rooting for us to lose.

The Dems have no solutions to anything other than make govt bigger. That in turn means they need things to get bad or worse on all issues so they can criticize. Without criticism, they have nothing. They can only win by default of the MSM fabricates enough bullshit to make many of the moderates really believe things that arent true, like, the economy sucks, etc.

Iraq is the first time any US President has begun a LONG TERM solution to a problem that is long term.

But the 6th grade michael moore lemmings either cant think that far into the future, or are so full of hate and want control so much, they will hope we lose just so they can get into office, because the narcissitic bunch of them truly believe they are elite and know better what is good for us than we do.

After all, I read 8 newspapers a day, some foot soldier in Iraq cant possibly know whats going on there better than (statement of a truly assnine, whiny self gloating elitist democrat liberal snob racist liar)

The Dems have no solutions to anything other than make govt bigger. That in turn means they need things to get bad or worse on all issues so they can criticize. Without criticism, they have nothing. They can only win by default of the MSM fabricates enough bullshit to make many of the moderates really believe things that arent true, like, the economy sucks, etc.

Iraq is the first time any US President has begun a LONG TERM solution to a problem that is long term.

But the 6th grade michael moore lemmings either cant think that far into the future, or are so full of hate and want control so much, they will hope we lose just so they can get into office, because the narcissitic bunch of them truly believe they are elite and know better what is good for us than we do.

After all, I read 8 newspapers a day, some foot soldier in Iraq cant possibly know whats going on there better than (statement of a truly assnine, whiny self gloating elitist democrat liberal snob racist liar)

Of course libs want the US to lose. Polls have shown a large number of Dems WANT the surge to fail

Government has GROWN TREMENDOUSLY under the Chimp. Don't give me that bullsh!t about govt growth.

Bush told us it was about WMD not some long term occupation. That long term crap only came after the WMD and MISSION ACCOMPLISHED bust.

It's right wing nutjobs like you that can't THINK AT ALL. YOU JUST PARROT WHATEVER YOUR MASTERS TELL YOU TO PARROT without so much as using your brains.

You read 8 newspapers.........SO YOU CAN READ.....good for you.

If anyone parrots anything it is the liberal media doing the bidding of libs and reporting their defeatest talking points as news

If anyone parrots anything it is the liberal media doing the bidding of libs and reporting their defeatest talking points as news

Many of us warned you not to INVADE/OCCUPY Iraq because something like this might happen. In your MACHONESS you decided to ignore and go at it alone in your multi nation (TWO COUNTRIES) COALITION (lol!!!!!). I guess "WE TOLD YOU SO" just doesn't cut it anymore. Instead of accepting that things weren't going so good in Iraq, the Chimp kept telling the American public that Iraq as a paradise. They even so far as to hide the American casualties from the public. Of course we only do that when things are going "FINE". And mind you I don't only blame Bush but also the SPINELESS DEMS who went along with him.

Many of us warned you not to INVADE/OCCUPY Iraq because something like this might happen. In your MACHONESS you decided to ignore and go at it alone in your multi nation (TWO COUNTRIES) COALITION (lol!!!!!). I guess "WE TOLD YOU SO" just doesn't cut it anymore. Instead of accepting that things weren't going so good in Iraq, the Chimp kept telling the American public that Iraq as a paradise. They even so far as to hide the American casualties from the public. Of course we only do that when things are going "FINE". And mind you I don't only blame Bush but also the SPINELESS DEMS who went along with him.

Why don't the libs try something new - like trying to help the US win the war?

Or that to much to ask of the Defeatocrats?

Forum List

Back