BAD Kitteh Mama

jaffeh

Nov 18, 2011
I had a revelation tonight.

Five years ago day after Thanksgiving 2006, my verybest favorite pet of life, Quincy my cat, had to be put down. He was wired to hate outdoors. I LOVED that cat. About killed me to let him go.

I'd lost his female friend, Molly, a year before. But boy cats are more mama's boys.

That December after Quincy, I took on two kittens because I needed kittehs! They were not litter mates, Caleb and Kipplee, but I love them.

That first winter I kept them in. The next summer, they wanted out, and I couldn't keep them in. I lost.

Winter came. Both stayed out. I live in Georgia, so it's not THAT cold, but November through March nights can be cold. Cats stayed out.

The next year, Caleb, lighter furred tabby, came in on cold nights. Next winter, ditto, but not Kipplee. Die hard calico.

Then I got the next spring Spenser, a four week old abandoned kitten. Spenser LOVED Kipplee. Kipplee only wanted OUT.

Okay.

Fast forward to tonight. Kipps has ALWAYS been outside. Tonight, though, I was doing laundry out in the garage, and Kipps was huddled in some old clothes...COLD!

I couldn't handle that. I thought she was happy outside, but she was not.

I MADE her come in, carried her.

She growls at Spenser, but Spenser is no threat. Caleb is asleep on my bed.

After an evening of agitation, my Kipps is asleep beside me. Bless her heart.

I will NOT let her out at night now that I know she was cold!

How many nights did I miss?

Are they spayed and neutered?

I am an indoor cat girl... i never let them out. All they know is hardwood and carpet.

All of them are spayed and neutered. I do that as soon as a vet will do it when I get a young'un.

Tonight Kipplee wanted out. I kept her in, but when I wasn't looking, she ran out. Before bedtime, I'll get her in.

My first cats, Molly and Quincy, stayed inside, but Molly wanted out. One time she got out and was lost for five days. When she got home, and I don't know how, she didn't try to get out again.

Quincy alone never was outdoor. He didn't want out at all until he was old, ten or so, and discovered he liked sunning himself close to the door.

The others want out. I keep Spenser in. I think he really doesn't want outside but wants to see what the others are doing.

And most of the time, the two outdoor cats are within twenty feet of the house.

Last edited:
Shadow is our 14 year old indoor cat. He snuck out once and was out a total of 18 hours (no, I didn't even realize he was out over night as he sleeps all the time and I didn't notice he wasn't around until the next morning). I found him under the bushes. After hissing and growling at me he finally ran inside and headed straight to the litter box for a longggg pee. Dopey cat didn't even know to dig a hole in the dirt! :lol: He hasn't bothered sneaking out since then.

Forum List

Back