Bad Debt...

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Home / A&E / Celebrity news Celebrity news
Oprah's mom sued

September 5, 2008
Email| Print| Single Page| Yahoo! Buzz| ShareThisText size – + A clothing store in Brookfield, Wis., is suing Oprah Winfrey's mother for failing to pay her bill. The complaint says Vernita Lee of Milwaukee owed Valentina nearly $156,000 for purchases and interest as of July 1 and has failed to make the monthly minimum payment of $2,000. Store attorney Joseph Niebler Sr. says his client tried to resolve the matter with Lee before filing the lawsuit in Waukesha County Circuit Court. The lawsuit says Lee told store officials she doesn't think

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2008/09/05/oprahs_mom_sued/:eek:

and then

Oprah's mom countersues over wardrobe bill
Oprah Winfrey's mother should not have to pay a high-end fashion store the more than $150,000 it says it is owed because the store extended credit despite knowing her troubles managing debt, according to a new court filing.

Valentina Inc. sued Winfrey's mother, Vernita Lee of Milwaukee, in July, contending that she racked up a bill of $155,547.31 in purchases and interest as of July 1. She was required to make a minimum monthly payment of $2,000 to the store, the suit says.

Mediation between the two sides failed last week, prompting Lee to file a counterclaim contending she does not owe the money.

The account is "unconscionable, and therefore, unenforceable because Valentina knowingly and unfairly took advantage of Lee's lack of knowledge, ability, and/or capacity when Valentina created the account," the civil lawsuit says.

JS Online: NewsWatch

yep, by god it all the lender's fault.. :lol:

and then

Oprah's mom countersues over wardrobe bill
Oprah Winfrey's mother should not have to pay a high-end fashion store the more than $150,000 it says it is owed because the store extended credit despite knowing her troubles managing debt, according to a new court filing.

Valentina Inc. sued Winfrey's mother, Vernita Lee of Milwaukee, in July, contending that she racked up a bill of $155,547.31 in purchases and interest as of July 1. She was required to make a minimum monthly payment of $2,000 to the store, the suit says.

Mediation between the two sides failed last week, prompting Lee to file a counterclaim contending she does not owe the money.

The account is "unconscionable, and therefore, unenforceable because Valentina knowingly and unfairly took advantage of Lee's lack of knowledge, ability, and/or capacity when Valentina created the account," the civil lawsuit says.

JS Online: NewsWatch

yep, by god it all the lender's fault.. :lol:

hey--this is good--those damn lenders need to be sued by stupid people for loaning money to them in the first place ! I love it. :lol:
Right up there with " I wouldn't belong to any club that would accept me as a member "

hey--this is good--those damn lenders need to be sued by stupid people for loaning money to them in the first place ! I love it. :lol:
Right up there with " I wouldn't belong to any club that would accept me as a member "

People let you in clubs? :confused:

playing the victim card once again hey! poor me, I wanted sumpin costs a lot of money, how effen dare you lend it to me cause I'm too stupid.. Works!

playing the victim card once again hey! poor me, I wanted sumpin costs a lot of money, how effen dare you lend it to me cause I'm too stupid.. Works!

Of course it does----Whitey is a racist for not lending me money----Whitey is a racist for allowing me to go into debt.

Classic !

Forum List

Back