Bad Cop, No Donut

[...]

Let the good cops do their job, train them well and pay them well. But the bad ones HAVE to be gotten rid of.
Easier said than done -- the main reason being the fact that police agencies are the de facto armies of the politicians who control them. Former New York City mayor, Michael Bloomberg, openly remarked that the NYPD was his "personal army."

Second to that are the increasingly powerful police unions which, through pay and benefit negotiations, have managed to make it virtually impossible to take serious punitive action for even the most egregious misconduct by individual cops. The fact is the police, via the power of their unions, hold the politicians by the balls. Because any politician who attempts to impose stricter policies on a given police agency and whose action causes a job slowdown in which the cops simply stop enforcing laws that protect the general public, will be blamed for the rise in crime and will lose votes.

This union power was demonstrated back in the seventies when the Commissioner of the New York City Department of Correction, which is a virtual extension of the New York City Police Department, decided to tighten up on the regulations controlling the City's correction officers. That agency's union president, Philip Seelig, responded with a general strike -- an incremental walk-out, in which the City's many jails were about to be left completely unattended. Within sixteen hours of that strike then Mayor Ed Koch summarily fired the Correction Commissioner, William Ciuros, and publicly tore up the offending regulations. The correction officers went back to work and police unions have become increasingly more powerful ever since.

I was working for the New York City Corporation Counsel's Office at the time and I clearly recall how that unprecedented action revealed the absolute and unmistakable power of police unions. If the police go on strike the shit will hit the fan and whomever is responsible for causing the strike will have little hope for forgiveness by angry voters.

The only way to apply effective pressure to a police agency is from the bottom up -- pressure directly from the People.

In the "olden days", some 10 years ago, you did your own research and collected data, located the statute you wanted altered or countered a proposed law or presented an issue. You made an appointment with your state legislator and presented the issue in a concise manner with the least amount of drama and started there. You might even start a petition that is not online and present that as well.
The first thing to be done in the way of improving relations between police and the public they are intended to serve is to replace the utterly counterproductive drug war with intensive public education and motivated addict treatment programs. The War On Drugs has caused the misdirection and militarization of the civilian police diverting them from the primary objective of preventing truly harmful crime. Instead their attention is focused mainly on victimless offenses.

The reason for this is the War On Drugs serves the interests of the pharmaceutical industry, the liquor and beer industries, the legal profession, the prison industrial complex, the strongly unionized law-enforcement establishment, et al., all of which are collectively represented by the most powerful Washington lobby of all.

It's the same thing we gays did to get rid of unjust laws....the same thing women did to get rid of unjust laws...the same thing minorities have done to get rid of unjust laws. Political action, civil disobedience, lobbying, starting organizations to work to get rid of such laws. Sitting on one's butt complaining on the internet doesn't get these kinds of things done.
There is a very big difference between getting some anti-discrimination laws passed and endeavoring to compromise America's collective police unions -- which are collectively represented by the most powerful lobbying organizations in Washington. I'm talking about big money and extremely influential voices.

In the "olden days", some 10 years ago, you did your own research and collected data, located the statute you wanted altered or countered a proposed law or presented an issue. You made an appointment with your state legislator and presented the issue in a concise manner with the least amount of drama and started there. You might even start a petition that is not online and present that as well.
The first thing to be done in the way of improving relations between police and the public they are intended to serve is to replace the utterly counterproductive drug war with intensive public education and motivated addict treatment programs. The War On Drugs has caused the misdirection and militarization of the civilian police diverting them from the primary objective of preventing truly harmful crime. Instead their attention is focused mainly on victimless offenses.

The reason for this is the War On Drugs serves the interests of the pharmaceutical industry, the liquor and beer industries, the legal profession, the prison industrial complex, the strongly unionized law-enforcement establishment, et al., all of which are collectively represented by the most powerful Washington lobby of all.

The militarization of the police started in the late 1980s due to the gangs that had bigger and badder weapons and were not afraid to use them. Drug offenses, specifically marijuana, are not being prosecuted as they were. Indeed, your state prisons are filled with more violent offenders and have been for going on a decade now. Further, there are no "motivated" drug addiction programs. Many states utilize diversion programs such as drug court where you have random drops. Can you identify a successful program? It's a billion dollar industry.

You aren't going to prison for smoking a joint on the stoop. Unless, you are on parole and even then it takes a bit more for a violation to send one back.

Court ordered rehab seldom works.

The criminal justice system is left, by and large, to the states.

Last edited:
[...]

The militarization of the police started in the late 1980s due to the gangs that had bigger and badder weapons and were not afraid to use them.
Would you care to comment on the dramatic increase in early morning, no-knock SWAT raids which since the 1980s have increased in number from less than 50 per year to presently more than 100 per day? Do you know that only a minuscule percentage of these raids involve serious offenders while the overwhelming majority are motivated by mere suspicion of low-level drug (marijuana) activity -- and that a significant number of them are "botched" (wrong address, etc.?)

[...]

[...]

Drug offenses, specifically marijuana, are not being prosecuted as they were.

[...]
This is true. And the reason for the it is the formerly severe criminal penalties for even small quantity possession of "weed" have been quietly transitioned to Civil Asset Forfeiture, which means police can and will seize the home, the car, and every penny in cash assets found in the possession of someone who is caught with even a single marijuana "joint." This has been a bonanza for law enforcement which is why they are fighting tooth and nail to avoid legalization or decriminalization of marijuana.

If you doubt this, watch COPS or Live PD, tv "ride-along" documentaries in which you will see that the vast majority of police activity all across America involves minor drug arrests. That's what the cops are looking for -- and the reason is Civil Asset Forfeiture.

Better still, go here and read the PDF copy of Radley Balko's well-documented book, Rise of The Warrior Cop.
https://www.dmt-nexus.me/users/cosm...opTheMilitarizationofAmericasPoliceForces.pdf

[...]

Further, there are no "motivated" drug addiction programs. Many states utilize diversion programs such as drug court where you have random drops.

[...]
There are no motivated drug addiction programs because the bureaucracy is not truly interested in reducing drug use. The drug war is big business and a lot of people are making a lot of money from it. I can tell you that one highly effective way to reduce the use of dangerous substances would be a well-crafted public education program, which is the way cigarette smoking has been reduced by more than 75% -- without arresting a single individual. And in case you're not aware, nicotine is far more tenaciously addictive than any of the opioids.

I can remember when almost everyone smoked cigarettes. Today hardly anyone does. How do you suppose that was accomplished?

[...]

The militarization of the police started in the late 1980s due to the gangs that had bigger and badder weapons and were not afraid to use them.

[...]
The only example of civilian police in the U.S. being "out-gunned" that I am aware of was that of the bank robbery in L.A. which emulated the robbery of that same bank in the sensational Robert DiNiro, Al Pacino movie, Heat. Since that time almost all American police agencies are being equipped with not only M-16 rifles and many of them are obtaining such things as armored assault vehicles, military helicopters, grenade launchers, and a lot more. They are obtaining this hard-core military equipment from the U.S. Government via the "1033 Program," which is a federal program conceived for the obvious purpose of transforming our civilian police in to para-military organizations -- which I see no sensible need or purpose for doing.

You've cited "bigger and badder weapons" in the hands of gangs. Other than the one I've mentioned above, can you cite some specific examples in which civilian police have had legitimate need for any of the military gear they are acquiring from the Government?

I haven't heard of any.

Copsuckers will find a reason to justify even this murder:

Teen Ran from Plainclothes Men Chasing Him, Turns Out they Were Cops — So They Killed Him

Fullerton, CA – An “always upbeat” teenager who loved to play guitar and soccer was killed earlier this week by undercover cops after they chased him down in an unmarked car.

Pedro Erik Villanueva, 19, was taking part in a “side show” where truck drivers meet up to show off their driving skills by peeling out and doing other antics. Police were monitoring the event, and when uniformed cops began to close in, Villanueva fled.

Two undercover California Highway Patrol (CHP) cops proceeded to chase Villanueva for several miles in their unmarked car and cornered him in a residential cul-de-sac. According to the police report, Villanueva made a U-turn and drove toward the officers, whereupon they opened fired, killing Villanueva and injuring the passenger.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/undercover-cops-chase-down-kill-teenage-driver/#likedyAl8hhLtJIG.99

Would you care to comment on the dramatic increase in early morning, no-knock SWAT raids which since the 1980s have increased in number from less than 50 per year to presently more than 100 per day? Do you know that only a minuscule percentage of these raids involve serious offenders while the overwhelming majority are motivated by mere suspicion of low-level drug (marijuana) activity -- and that a significant number of them are "botched" (wrong address, etc.?)

Sure, no-knock warrants are banned in Florida and Oregon. In Utah, you have to have more than drug possession to go on. Ultimately, the decision rests with the judge that signed off on the warrant. That said, the judge's decision is only as good as the information provided. Often, the individual or individuals in question are already known and have history. It's a state thang because (again) criminal justice is left by and large to the states. The question then becomes, what constitutes exigent circumstances?

That said, if you climb through the window and are shot because the suspect was asleep then murdering a cop is not one of the charges that can be brought (imo) because any reasonable person would do the same and consider it an act of self defense.

This is true. And the reason for the it is the formerly severe criminal penalties for even small quantity possession of "weed" have been quietly transitioned to Civil Asset Forfeiture, which means police can and will seize the home, the car, and every penny in cash assets found in the possession of someone who is caught with even a single marijuana "joint." This has been a bonanza for law enforcement which is why they are fighting tooth and nail to avoid legalization or decriminalization of marijuana.

If you doubt this, watch COPS or Live PD, tv "ride-along" documentaries in which you will see that the vast majority of police activity all across America involves minor drug arrests. That's what the cops are looking for -- and the reason is Civil Asset Forfeiture.

Better still, go here and read the PDF copy of Radley Balko's well-documented book, Rise of The Warrior Cop.

It depends on the state. I would look for conviction or at the minimum beyond a reasonable doubt----preferably conviction.

There are no motivated drug addiction programs because the bureaucracy is not truly interested in reducing drug use. The drug war is big business and a lot of people are making a lot of money from it. I can tell you that one highly effective way to reduce the use of dangerous substances would be a well-crafted public education program, which is the way cigarette smoking has been reduced by more than 75% -- without arresting a single individual. And in case you're not aware, nicotine is far more tenaciously addictive than any of the opioids.

I can remember when almost everyone smoked cigarettes. Today hardly anyone does. How do you suppose that was accomplished?

That is a cop out if I ever heard one. It has not a damn thing to do with the bureaucracy. It has everything to do with an established criteria. They don't keep records beyond 3 months and programs like AA/NA don't keep records at all because........that would be the anonymous thing. They will sign off on a sheet that you attended.
So, depending on the state, you might be court ordered into outpatient (because no inpatient exists) and you attend a group class where you learn the correct names of the drugs you are using. You might see "group therapy" twice a week because individual therapy costs more and it exists once a month. How do they get away with it? Because no demands have been made for an established criteria. People like to jump up and down about addicts need treatment but they aren't willing to delve any further.

Then there are states that have inpatient treatment programs. So, maybe you have been court ordered to obtain an assessment and you go in and minimize your history of drug use (which happens often) and your treatment revolves around whatever level of bullshit that you spewed. Well, the individual obtaining the information can't reach into the individual and force that information out. Or, you have been given the choice between rehab or prison. Pffftttt.................

You have to want to get clean and stay clean. People, places, things.

The only example of civilian police in the U.S. being "out-gunned" that I am aware of was that of the bank robbery in L.A. which emulated the robbery of that same bank in the sensational Robert DiNiro, Al Pacino movie, Heat. Since that time almost all American police agencies are being equipped with not only M-16 rifles and many of them are obtaining such things as armored assault vehicles, military helicopters, grenade launchers, and a lot more. They are obtaining this hard-core military equipment from the U.S. Government via the "1033 Program," which is a federal program conceived for the obvious purpose of transforming our civilian police in to para-military organizations -- which I see no sensible need or purpose for doing.

You've cited "bigger and badder weapons" in the hands of gangs. Other than the one I've mentioned above, can you cite some specific examples in which civilian police have had legitimate need for any of the military gear they are acquiring from the Government?

I haven't heard of any.

I am aware of the "1033 program" (1997). I am also aware of the fraud and abuse associated with that program. You need to go back further. By 1985/86 most police officers were still using Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolvers. You're not just dealing with inner city gangs. Back then there were additional problems with "biker gangs". They had better weapons, the cops got better weapons, then they get better weapons then....see what I am saying here? There was much bitching at the "transition" back then.

Leader of murder-for-hire ring arrested

Simi Raid Part of 18-State Move Against Biker Gangs

Grenades, Guns Seized In 2 Raids

Gangs Call Shots Despite Cha's Security Force

Last edited:
MikeK is correct in his arguments, but I'll stay out of that for now and just report the crimes.

83-year-old Grandpa Forgot to Use His Blinker, So Cops Put Him in the Hospital

“The next thing I know, I was down on the ground.”
Antrim County, MI — Failing to use a blinker for a u-turn has ended with a stay in the hospital for an 83-year-old business owner in Antrim County. Bar owner, Larry Sevenski found out the hard way that police in America can and will escalate violence when it is entirely unnecessary — even against the elderly.

Last week, Sevenski got a call from customers informing him that state troopers were parked outside of his pub, Larry’s Seven-Ski Inn. So, this business owner of 50 years decided to go talk to the police. He had no idea that this decision would end up with charges and a stay in the hospital.

Read more at 83-year-old Grandpa Forgot to Use His Blinker, So Cops Put Him in the Hospital

Abuse of ''authority'' does not restrict itself to 'murica. I am including this because it is very much 'murican in nature.

Miss Australia Left Disfigured Because Police Threw a Flashbang Grenade into Her Bed as She Slept

Queensland – While sleeping in bed with her fiancé, a former Miss Australia awoke to a police flashbang grenade disfiguring her face and melting her hand. Although she required immediate medical attention, paramedics did not arrive at the scene until 40 minutes later.

Crowned Miss International Australia in 2013, Felicia Djamirze was asleep in bed with her fiancé, Dean O’Donnell last week, when a police flashbang grenade landed in their bedroom. Accused of drug trafficking, the former Miss Australia was placed under arrest as police waited 40 minutes for an ambulance to arrive. The cops refused to allow Djamirze to see her injuries even though she suffered third-degree burns to her face and right hand.

Read more at Miss Australia Left Disfigured Because Police Threw a Flashbang Grenade into Her Bed as She Slept

[...]

[...]
I think I should have said anti drug-use programs instead of just "drug-use programs" because you seem to have the impression I am recommending addict treatment programs. If this is so I apologize for the misleading error, because I believe the vast majority of addicts are beyond rehabilitation and the kind of program which some addicts might be receptive to would be individualized and prohibitively expensive (e.g., the "Hollywood rehab" set).

The kind of programs I wish to promote would be focused on prevention, which incidentally is how cigarette smoking has been dramatically reduced. The programs you've referred to are typical state-funded, failure-oriented, bureaucratic time-and-money wasting attempts at making degenerate junkies quit "using." I believe the projected success rate of these programs is somewhere around two percent -- if that much.

The average drug addict is beyond being rehabilitated. The best thing we can do for and with them would be a well structured and competently supervised addict maintenance program -- such as the heroin experiment which has been highly successful in Switzerland and The Netherlands. But the impediment to such potential progress here in the U.S. is the hopelessly corrupt, monstrously hypocritical law-enforcement bureaucracy whose only tool is a hammer.
So forget addict rehab. It's not worth the effort. Addicts must be provided with a controlled means of satisfying their craving until they either choose to quit using or they die.

[...]

[...]
I think I should have said anti drug-use programs instead of just "drug-use programs" because you seem to have the impression I am recommending addict treatment programs. If this is so I apologize for the misleading error, because I believe the vast majority of addicts are beyond rehabilitation and the kind of program which some addicts might be receptive to would be individualized and prohibitively expensive (e.g., the "Hollywood rehab" set).

The kind of programs I wish to promote would be focused on prevention, which incidentally is how cigarette smoking has been dramatically reduced. The programs you've referred to are typical state-funded, failure-oriented, bureaucratic time-and-money wasting attempts at making degenerate junkies quit "using." I believe the projected success rate of these programs is somewhere around two percent -- if that much.

The average drug addict is beyond being rehabilitated. The best thing we can do for and with them would be a well structured and competently supervised addict maintenance program -- such as the heroin experiment which has been highly successful in Switzerland and The Netherlands. But the impediment to such potential progress here in the U.S. is the hopelessly corrupt, monstrously hypocritical law-enforcement bureaucracy whose only tool is a hammer.
So forget addict rehab. It's not worth the effort. Addicts must be provided with a controlled means of satisfying their craving until they either choose to quit using or they die.

Ok. I gotcha.

Switzerland harm reduction policies are great. I don't think that people realize it is about harm reduction to the rest of society. Decriminalize smaller amounts and pop the dealers and/or larger amounts. I think the UK has even moved to prescribing heroin for the worst of the worst. You have to show up at the clinic and they will inject you with the smallest amount possible so you can hold down a job and reconnect with family members and function in society. In order to qualify for that program you have to fail at every other program available.

Safe injection sites and needle exchange programs prevent the spread of hepatitis c and HIV. It is cheaper to spend the money on needles than the cost of treatment for either of those and tax payers will pay for those diseases.

This is the US movement site.
Harm Reduction Coalition -

One of the major problems with this actually working in the US is that we don't have mental health care system worth a damn. It's the make or break of someone with a dual diagnosis AKA co-occuring disorders.
What Are Co-occurring Disorders? | Behavioral Health Evolution

The impediment to getting it going is that people strongly feel that this signals approval of drug use.

Education is not prevention in this arena. It became impossible to smoke anywhere. Taxes made it more difficult to purchase cigarettes. Kids learn about drug abuse in elementary school and up.

Last edited:
[...]

Education is not prevention in this arena. It became impossible to smoke anywhere. Taxes made it more difficult to purchase cigarettes. Kids learn about drug abuse in elementary school and up.
And therein lies the tale.

My recommendation for an assured prevention strategy is to make constructive use of some really ripe, nodding-out, strung-out, filthy, stinking, degenerate junkies with festering needle sores and snot-dripping noses. Arrange for auditorium appearances of these tragic creatures at grade-schools. Let the pre-high school level kids have a look at them. Let the junkies tell the kids what they did to get that way. In other words, scare the shit out of the kids with a good look at what using hard drugs can do to you.

That's the way to do it. It makes a hell of an impression. I've seen the positive effect of a slightly different version of that strategy and I can tell you it is very effective.

Public education at the base level.

Last edited:
[...]

And therein lies the tale.

My recommendation for an assured prevention strategy is to make constructive use of some really ripe, nodding-out, strung-out, filthy, stinking, degenerate junkies with festering needle sores and snot-dripping noses. Arrange for auditorium appearances of these tragic creatures at grade-schools. Let the pre-high school level kids have a look at them. Let the junkies tell the kids what they did to get that way. In other words, scare the shit out of the kids with a good look at what using hard drugs can do to you.

That's the way to do it. It makes a hell of an impression. I've seen the positive effect of a slightly different version of that strategy and I can tell you it is very effective.

Public education at the base level.

Mike, there are a fantastic amount of kids that see this at home.

Incidentally it is the concept that drug use is independent of all other actions or a victimless crime that irritates the hell out me. As if all drug use was marijuana or it is only done by people without children. Followed by some nonsensical crap like, "He broke into that house and stole the electronics, jewelry and the car because he is a drug addict. He needs treatment because the issue is drugs." No...........the issue is burglary and auto theft.

Cop makes himself "good".

KARMA? Cop Who Filmed Himself Raping Women & Children On Duty, Found Dead

Ste. Genevieve County, MO — On Saturday morning, Ste. Genevieve County Sheriff’s Major Jason Schott announced Marty L. Rainey, a former Gasconade County law enforcement officer facing state and federal charges involving a series of assaults on women and children, was found dead in his cell.

Read more at KARMA? Cop Who Filmed Himself Raping Women & Children On Duty, Found Killed in His Cell

And the hits just keep on coming.

Good Cop Quits, Crosses Blue Line After Video Shows Fellow Cops Allow K9 to Maul Innocent Man

St. Paul, MN — On the night of June 24, 2016, Frank Baker ‘fit the description’ of a ‘black man’ in the area, so he was attacked by police and their K9. For several minutes, Baker was beaten, tasered, and viciously mauled by their K9. Also at the scene that fateful night was officer Tony Spencer — whose dashcam recorded the violent assault on Baker, who was entirely innocent.

That night, Spencer and his partner responded to a call, which ended up being fake, about a man with dreadlocks wearing a white t-shirt and armed with a gun.

When they arrived on the scene, Spencer and his partner saw Baker and realized he did not look like a suspect.

Read more at Good Cop Quits, Crosses Blue Line After Video Shows Fellow Cops Allow K9 to Maul Innocent Man

Forum List

Back