Bacon: A Basic Food Group

bacon_tuxedo_flair.jpg

Iowa has done a very sensible thing. Today is BACON Day:

The Iowa House has declared Feb. 26 Bacon Day in honor of “nature’s perfect food.”

Here’s the full text of House Resolution 15:

A Resolution recognizing February 26, 2011, as Iowa Bacon Day.

WHEREAS, the people of Maine have lobster, the people of Idaho grow great potatoes, and the folks of Texas make great chili, we Iowans have bacon —— nature’s perfect food; and

WHEREAS, whether plain or apple-wood smoked, whether store-bought or artisan-made, bacon is a meat for any meal; and

WHEREAS, as America’s top pork producer, Iowa stands tall as the nation’s source of high-quality bacon; and

WHEREAS, the 4th annual Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival is set for Saturday, February 26, 2011, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., in Des Moines;

NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, That the House of Representatives recognizes February 26, 2011, as Iowa Bacon Day and invites all Iowans to take part in the festival and to celebrate bacon.

Iowa House declares Bacon Day Feb. 26 | Eastern Iowa Government

Being a pig and all, I have always thought that the greatest WMD would be to take a dozen C-130s full of bacon bits and scatter them over the Mid-East...

It was just a thought...

The ultimate bacon recipe: The Bacon Explosion:

The other day the guys from BaconToday.com contacted me in search for some barbecue bacon recipes. Of course I have plenty of great uses for bacon in a barbecue pit, but the longer I thought about it, the more I wanted to step it up a notch and clog a few arteries for those guys. Behold, BACON EXPLOSION!!! Here’s what you’ll need…

2 pounds thick cut bacon
2 pounds Italian sausage
1 jar of your favorite barbeque sauce
1 jar of your favorite barbeque rub

To kick off the construction of this pork medley you’ll need to create a 5×5 bacon weave. If the strips you’re using aren’t as wide as the ones pictured, then you may need to use a few extra slices to fill out the pattern. Just make sure your bacon weave is tight and that you end up with a nice square shape to work with....

Bacon Explosion: The BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes - BBQ Addicts - BBQ Blog

Faboo pics at the link!

I've had chocolate covered bacon. Meh. Not that great.

I do like a good BLT to include a fried green tomato BLT, which is what I had tonight.

This is an evil thread which must be bumped and resurrected. (I think I speeled resurrected wrong) :)

Post #48 is especially super evil. Which I will promptly add to my Pinterest recipe section. Post #52 is already in there and I make that recipe once every two weeks. Only 4 ingredients. Brown suger and chili powder mixed together; chicken breast cut in to bite size chunks; bacon.
Roll chicken with the bacon and secure with toothpick. Then dredge the hell out of it with the brown suger/chili powder mix. Slap in oven.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back