Bacon: A Basic Food Group

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
In this thread, we celebrate BACON, a basic food group.

A true devotee's report on the ultimate Bacon-quest: a burger made entirely of BACON.

It’s important to pace yourself when on a geek quest of any sort, and this is especially true of those that, like mine, present a certain amount of personal risk. Having last week eaten a (beef) hamburger wrapped in 10 slices of (pork) bacon, I felt it wise to wait a week before attempting another such feat of consumption.

I had read online about several people, over the past five years or so, trying their hand at a burger made out of ground bacon, with no other meat included. I hadn’t intended to try it until later in my Great Bacon Odyssey, but several people suggested it after last week’s triumph, so I started thinking about it more and more. Then it occurred to me: In order to be truly worthy of me, and of the GeekDad name that means so much to me, my quest would have to take me beyond what other people have already done. And to make that possible, I would first have to prove that I was serious. I would have to conquer the bacon burger.

First, I needed to figure out how many slices I would need. I wanted to use the uncured bacon again, with no dry rub or any such thing, because I knew that if I were to have a prayer of eating the whole thing, I would need the burger to have as little salt in it as possible. I wanted a burger weighing about one-third of a pound, but I don’t have a kitchen scale.

The package had 22 slices and, according to the package, weighed 12 ounces. Assuming all slices were cut uniformly (which appeared to my eye to be the case), each slice weighed about 0.55 ounces. That would mean 10 slices (after rounding up), because 1/3 of a pound is about 5.33 ounces. But I wanted the burger’s cooked weight to be 1/3 of a pound, not its raw weight, and of course bacon loses a lot of fat during cooking. A little research indicated that the likelihood was that my bacon would lose about half of its weight during cooking. That seemed a bit high to me, especially since the bacon I’d bought had a good percentage of meat in each slice, so I figured starting with 19 slices, for a weight of 10.45 ounces, would cover me....

The Great Bacon Odyssey: Bacon, the Other Crispy Brown Meat | GeekDad | Wired.com

Bacon is meat candy. And apparently it has other uses as well!

bacon-bra-01.jpg

Wearable food! What a great idea!

I'd add: hold the bread!

Carbohydrates are too fattening.

^^^ A few slices of heaven

Next time you get thick bacon, put it in your George Foreman Grill. It comes out perfect and it doesn't curl up. My friend showed me this, and it is the only way I will eat thick cut bacon. mmmmmmmmmmm

I have wanted one of those since I first heard about them.

I think they sound heavenly.

Sherry - those are fabulous! I love the bouquet - POIFECK for Valentine's Day!

I Knew It! Bacon really is a Health Food! Bon Appetit says so.

Ever see that old Woody Allen movie Sleeper? The one where he goes to sleep in 1973 and wakes up 200 years later, only to discover that decadent foods (fudge, cream pies) turned out to be healthful? Well, here comes Jennifer McLagan, author of a book simply called Fat, telling us that 45 percent of the fat in bacon is monounsaturated, the good-for-you fat that can help lower bad cholesterol levels. Better still, bacon's monounsaturated fat turns out to be oleic acid, the same fat found in olive oil. So that means that some could argue that bacon is about half as good for you as olive oil and about 100 times more delicious. Of course, moderation is key here, and you should seek out artisanal varieties without preservatives. One of the best things about bacon is that a little goes a long way. Not convinced? Fry up just one slice along with the aromatics for a pot of soup, or chop it up and use it as a garnish for fish or sauteed greens.

10 Surprising Health Foods: bonappetit.com

I found the best way to make bacon, is in the George Foreman Grill, especially if you are making thick peppered bacon. It turns out perfect every time and is not as hard as a rock. Try it and you will thank me. :D

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies

Ingredients:

6 slices maple-cured bacon, chopped
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup softened butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks

Directions

1.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2.Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble.

3.Beat the sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer in a large bowl until fluffy and smooth. Stir in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix in the chocolate chips and bacon. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

4.Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Let stand 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.​

In my opinion, bacon should stand alone....unless it's on a BLT and the meat of the sandwich. I don't like the overwhelming flavor it gives to burgers, pizza, etc.

Forum List

Back