Backtracking

pegwinn

Top of the Food Chain
Apr 17, 2004
Texas
How in the hell does someone ferret out my IP address? I got AV software and a firewall. But a knucklehead on another message board apparently knows how to get my IP and cross that to a physical address. Not like I am worried (he'd never survive the adventure on my property), but I am damn sure curious. Anyone here can tell me how to? Or is there a tutorial web site? Thanks.

AV software does nothing to block IP addresses. Your firewall will block the IP address of YOUR computer but the firewall itself has an IP address that it takes from your ISP. This will be the IP address that is reported to any admins of any message board. Since your firewall is physically located in your house (at least I'm guessing it is), he can take that IP address, pop it into something like http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm and he can get your city. I'm not aware of any ways to get closer than the city but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

If you are really worried about it, there are tools that will allow you to surf anonymously although I've never used any of them. Here is one that I found: http://tools.rosinstrument.com/proxy/howto.htm

Again, I've never used anything like that so I have no idea how well it works.

Thanks. So if I follow this. He needs to be an admin at the mb? that actually narrows it down. Means one of the admins is cloning an id.

Need to figure out how to turn thetables and do the same for him/her

Not physically worried. Like I said, they'd not survive trespassing unless I chose for em to.
Thanks again

pegwinn said:
Thanks. So if I follow this. He needs to be an admin at the mb? that actually narrows it down. Means one of the admins is cloning an id.

Need to figure out how to turn thetables and do the same for him/her

Not physically worried. Like I said, they'd not survive trespassing unless I chose for em to.
Thanks again

Trouble in ploycrap town?

No problem. By the way, the access to posters' IP address doesn't have to be limited to admins. There are several different message board software packages and each is highly configurable and customizable. Although admins/moderators would almost definitely have access to your IP address (or the IP address of your firewall), it isn't outside the realm of possibility that that particular board allows anyone to see the IP addresses of posters.

Forum List

Back