Backpack trip into wilderness

"I like the idea of packing out poop."

I am absolutely 100 percent certain that is true.
Rule #1 for backpacking is "pack it in -- pack it out."

Unfortunately most people squat in the woods and don't pack it out.

We pick up after our dogs in town.

So there is no good reason not to pick up after ourselves as well.

Leave the forest as you found it -- pristine.
Whatever lol. You want to live like you are in town, stay in town. Not tha I don't relish the idea of you being so fearful of your own presence that you are happy to handle and pack your own crap around.

Whenever people poop in the wilderness it stinks up the area and you can tell for months they have done it.

There is also a cholera contamination risk.

It is better therefore to pack your poop out, same as when you pickup after your dog.

Most hikes in wilderness areas like those discussed in this thread are far from real wilderness and have designated trails. That means people use these trails day after day and the debris and waste accumulates if not hiked out. When "bushwacking", meaning going off the designated trails and making your own path, burying wasted usually accepted. The term wilderness is being used very loosely in this thread.

To bury poop correctly you need to dig at least half a foot deep or more. A whole foot would be ideal.

Most people barely scratch they surface when they dig their cat holes.

Most people do everything they do very superficially. With cat holes this then stinks up the area.

The best and easiest thing is to pack your poop out with you.

That's when the poop jug comes in handy, and plastic bags.

Bushwacking is discouraged in most regulated wilderness areas. The USFS wants people to stay on the trails to minimize erosion along the trails.

Partially grew up in the wilderness in North and South Georgia. Also the Okeefenoki Swamps. Was also part time city slicker, best of both worlds back then.

I'm female but was big time Tom boy. Love to run through the woods and jumped over many snakes. Also had a couple fights with a couple over tree houses. My mother lost a fight with a diamond back rattler almost killed her and was talk about leg aputation. Stone Mountain has lots of snakes we swam with them all our lives. Mother told me to get out of the water ,slowly, there were 2 large cottom mouths right behind me, I was arguring with her, didn't know about the snakes behind my head. Also in a creek two attacked me. Mother shot them both. I know all about wildrness life.

Forum List

Back