Backpack trip into wilderness

I've never been able to get my pack under 45 lbs plus rifle for a weekend hunt. That's carrying no water.

What the heck! You carrying the kitchen sink too?
The bear-proof canister makes a great kitchen sink!

I bring an REI tote with me to dump all the food and stuff from the bear canister into during the day, and then I use the canister as a sink. Add hot and cold water to clean up with, face, hair, armpits, crotch, bunghole. Then let the washrag soak in the soapy water for a while before wringing it out and pouring out the water. Keeps the washrag clean that way.

The canister also works well as a camp chair.

And if you take the lid off it and line it with a plastic bag, it works just like a toilet too.

A very versatile piece of gear.

For the evenings, the food goes back into the canister and under a tree to keep the bears away from your tent.

Now that is beyond specific. Singular is the adjective for that one
What does your pack weigh for a weekend hunt away from every facility?

I just did 180 miles from Tuolumne Meadows to Tahoe on the Pacific Crest Trail. I started with 45 pounds including 64 ounces of water. Resupplied food on day 12 (total of 14 days). Pack got as light as 35 pounds.

Pack included:
ENO backpacking hammock and straps
9x8 tarp
Jacket
Shorts
4 pairs of socks
1 extra shirt
1 extra underwear
Food (inside bear canister)
Knife
Journal
Platypus water filter
Klean Kanteen
Toilet paper
Maps
Tweezers
Mosquito hood

Speaking of squatting, on this backpack trip we brought poo jugs to pack out our poopoo with.

It was an innovation I made from kitty kibbles jugs.

These are then clipped to the outside of our backpacks.

One jug easily holds an entire week's worth of poo.

Rule #1 for backpacking is "pack it in -- pack it out."

.View attachment 87169

I am sure that someday everyone everywhere on Federal lands will be required to pack out their poo just like at Whitney.

I should patent a poo jug like the one I designed for this hike.

I just did 180 miles from Tuolumne Meadows to Tahoe on the Pacific Crest Trail. I started with 45 pounds including 64 ounces of water. Resupplied food on day 12 (total of 14 days). Pack got as light as 35 pounds.

Pack included:
ENO backpacking hammock and straps
9x8 tarp
Jacket
Shorts
4 pairs of socks
1 extra shirt
1 extra underwear
Food (inside bear canister)
Knife
Journal
Platypus water filter
Klean Kanteen
Toilet paper
Maps
Tweezers
Mosquito hood
With some paracord and 8 clothespins, I have found that washing one's clothing every other day during the rest days therefore only requires 1 extra set of skivis and sox.

Normally I hike all day with the pack, set up camp in the evening, replenish my water, then sack out without dinner. Usually too exhausted on a hiking day to eat.

The next day is always a rest day on which I will do laundry using the bear canister as a washing machine for the skivis and sox. I can even wash a shirt in a separate load.

Then wring and rise them out and hang them on the paracord clothesline to dry overnight.

Speaking of squatting, on this backpack trip we brought poo jugs to pack out our poopoo with.

It was an innovation I made from kitty kibbles jugs.

These are then clipped to the outside of our backpacks.

One jug easily holds an entire week's worth of poo.

Rule #1 for backpacking is "pack it in -- pack it out."

.View attachment 87169

I am sure that someday everyone everywhere on Federal lands will be required to pack out their poo just like at Whitney.

I should patent a poo jug like the one I designed for this hike.

Nobody packs out their poop. Well, one person.

You have to crap away from lakes and streams. You are required to carry out used paper, which I noticed that lots of people didnt do (animals dig it up). I just put mine in a zip lock and burn it at the next fire pit.

21 pounds full up. That's with water.
That's incredibly lite.

I have always traveled light. I wear the same pants, and shirt, but change underwear daily, and socks every three to four days depending on wear and tear. I fish along the way, and forage for a little bit depending on where I'm hiking. I carry a bowie knife as a camp tool because I can do everything with it. Don't have a tent, or a camp chair. I have a small esbit cooker that I carry and use a small pot to cook everything in.
ESB01249_709151.jpg

That's incredibly lite.

I have always traveled light. I wear the same pants, and shirt, but change underwear daily, and socks every three to four days depending on wear and tear. I fish along the way, and forage for a little bit depending on where I'm hiking. I carry a bowie knife as a camp tool because I can do everything with it. Don't have a tent, or a camp chair. I have a small esbit cooker that I carry and use a small pot to cook everything in.
ESB01249_709151.jpg
For 3 days we got rained on, with sleet too.

For times like that a ground tarp, tent, and rain fly are very nice to have. This of course costs you about 10 lbs.

I started with 45 pounds including 64 ounces of water. Resupplied food on day 12 (total of 14 days).
No stove, no cooking gear, no spare ammunition, no torch, no rifle cleaning gear, no binos, no this no that?

No stove, no pots or pans, no cups or plates.

I did forget to mention Ziploc baggies, I brought those. I should have brought a contractor bag to put all my stuff in inside my pack. Next time.

I'll be setting out again on September 4th or 5th for a longer trek. I'll be blogging it if u want to follow along. My details are on my profile page.

I don't particularly enjoy foul body odor, so I wash my skivis and sox every day on my alternate rest days.

I can wash the shirt too every few days when it starts to stink as well.

I typically do not wash the Levi's though -- they can usually go indefinitely without washing as long as you are changing skivi's every day.

That's incredibly lite.

ESB01249_709151.jpg

For times like that a ground tarp, tent, and rain fly are very nice to have. This of course costs you about 10 lbs.

Nope. No tent, though when I hiked the PCT I did add a tube tent to the load. My pack for that trip was 65 pounds as I had to be prepared for many other eventualities.

I started with 45 pounds including 64 ounces of water. Resupplied food on day 12 (total of 14 days).
No stove, no cooking gear, no spare ammunition, no torch, no rifle cleaning gear, no binos, no this no that?

I did forget to mention Ziploc baggies, I brought those. I should have brought a contractor bag to put all my stuff in inside my pack. Next time.

I'll be setting out again on September 4th or 5th for a longer trek. I'll be blogging it if u want to follow along. My details are on my profile page.
Even when I had my Colt Woodsman 22LR pistol with me, to shoot small game and birds in the Rockies, I would still bring along several dehydrated meals as a backup in case I could not shoot anything. But on a good trip I would not use any of them except maybe the egg breakfasts. That and hot coffee are always good in the mornings.

And of course to heat the water for the coffee and the dehydrated eggs you need a stove and pot/pan. The pan I have is also a lid for the pot.

That's incredibly lite.

ESB01249_709151.jpg

Nope. No tent, though when I hiked the PCT I did add a tube tent to the load. My pack for that trip was 65 pounds as I had to be prepared for many other eventualities.

My hiking buddy used a bivy the last time and almost froze to death.

This year he graduated to a small 2 person tent and it was perfect for him, he said.

I also use a 2 person tent. My backpack is the other person. I like to keep it inside my tent with me.

That way it stays dry in the rain and sleet.

I forgot also I carry a Goal Zero solar charger and a Black Diamond headlamp.

I carry a small flashlight but that's it. No recharger or anything like that. Like I said, I travel light. If I'm doing an overnighter I won't even carry a pack on most occasions. I have a good coat with pockets and just use that.

Even when I had my Colt Woodsman 22LR pistol with me, to shoot small game and birds in the Rockies, I would still bring along several dehydrated meals as a backup in case I could not shoot anything. But on a good trip I would not use any of them except maybe the egg breakfasts. That and hot coffee are always good in the mornings.

And of course to heat the water for the coffee and the dehydrated eggs you need a stove and pot/pan. The pan I have is also a lid for the pot.

I don't hunt or bring any weapon. Just the folding knife.

I didn't bring coffee last time. That was a mistake. This time I'll bring instant and just mix some in my water bottle with some powdered milk and drink it cold.

That's incredibly lite.

ESB01249_709151.jpg

My hiking buddy used a bivy the last time and almost froze to death.

This year he graduated to a small 2 person tent and it was perfect for him, he said.

I also use a 2 person tent. My backpack is the other person. I like to keep it inside my tent with me.

That way it stays dry in the rain and sleet.

If I'm going up to high altitude I will bring the tube tent as I will find a protected spot and lay the tent down and use it as a ground sheet and cover. I too bring everything in under cover (it acts like a dead air space insulator that way) and many times I have awakened to find myself covered with ice (on top of the tube tent) but I'm snug in my sleeping bag.

Forum List

Back