BACKFIRE: Philadelphia Implemented Soda Tax, But It Didn't Go As Planned

My city was considering adding a 30 cent a pack smoke tax until it realized that most people would just drive out of the city to buy.

So common with the left.

When states did the same thing, there were bootleg cigarette around. People used to drive to Alabama to buy hundreds of cartons of cigarettes, and bring them up to Ohio to sell them cheaper.

At the time, I was working for a vending company. One of my jobs was to go downtown and have our meter filled. The meter was used to put an Ohio stamp on all packs of cigarettes that we sold. The clerk was telling me how the state had agents go into public places like bars and restaurants (smoking was okay in those places back then) and they would look for cigarette without the Ohio stamp on it. If they found one, they would issue a summons to court for the user. If the user wanted to get out of paying the fine, he or she would have to rat out where they bought the cigarettes from.

I used to buy cartons of smokes and take them to NYC with me when I went fairly regularly for people up there. Thing is, there are very few places in my city where you cannot be out of my city in 15 minutes so it isn't like it would be a big inconvenience. We have people coming across the state line to buy gas in my city because our state's gas tax is 50 cents less per gal.

It's all so silly. Reminds me of years ago when the Democrat Congress made it illegal to sell toilets with two gallon tanks. So people started to go to Canada to buy toilets and sell them in the US.

The new toilets manufacturers were forced to make didn't flush for shit (no pun intended). I think they were 1.4 gallons at the time, and you had to flush them three times to do the same job as the 2 gallon toilets you only flushed once.

One of our bathrooms has a low flow toilet. I realized this winter when I went in there that was the first time I had been in that particular bathroom in two years.

They are much better now, but at the time, they were worthless. Now I think the thing uses a quart of water.

I like the toilets that companies have for their employees restrooms. Those things use 5 gallons of water. You can flush a bowling ball down those toilets. Wish I could get the same thing for my home, but I think you would have to run 1" water lines to it for that kind of power.

The citizens of Philadelphia have been rocked by a tax on sugary drinks like soda, although the hike was intended to improve their health.

As outlined by Hotair on Saturday, the “soda tax” has actually led to Philadelphia residents traveling outside the city to buy their soda (and likely other goods), decreased the city’s revenue, and led to layoffs in the local beverage industry and cut hours for employees at small markets. It did not, however, lead to an increase in healthier beverage purchases in the city.

When the soda tax was first announced, workers at Pepsi took a hit. “With sales slumping because of the new Philadelphia sweetened beverage tax, Pepsi said Wednesday that it will lay off 80 to 100 workers at three distribution plants that serve the city,” philly.com reported in March of 2017.

And last month, the local outlet reported that the owner of Acme Markets, who has 16 stores in Philadelphia, had to cut employees’ hours because of the tax: “The beverage tax fell on about 4,000 items. In Acme city stores, soda sales dropped as much as 80 percent. Sales of other items covered by the tax, such as juices, creamers and energy drinks, were down 30 percent, and the number of customers declined by 5 percent. Philly stores cut an average of 150 to 200 employee hours per week, resulting in lighter paychecks for employees."

But the hit the employees took did not equate to a win for the “health” of its citizens. As noted by Hotair, Philadelphia residents were traveling outside the city to avoid the tax hike on their drinks.

A CNN report on a study from medical journal JAMA focused in on the 51% drop in city soda purchases, but admitted: “While researchers found that sales of sugary beverages fell in Philadelphia after the tax, beverage sales in nearby towns and counties without the tax went up. That suggests people may have been traveling to get their soda at a reduced price.”

“People stopped buying their soda in the city (and almost undoubtedly a lot of other shopping list items) and decided to shop where prices were lower,” Hotair noted.

So was there at least an uptick in healthier beverage purchases because of the tax? Nope. “Philadelphia did not see an increase in sales of untaxed beverages such as bottled water,” CNN reported.

CNN did not discuss the revenue hit Philadelphia took, but Hotair did: “The tax on soda increased by 17%, but the sales fell by 51%. So, let’s look at this assuming one million ounces of soda was sold annually before the tax went into effect. If sales had remained the same, the city would have realized $62,400.00 in revenue instead of $54,300.00. But with the volume cut in half, they managed to slash their revenue to $31,200.00.”

Lefttards gonna tard
they cant help being stupid it comes naturally to them

My city was considering adding a 30 cent a pack smoke tax until it realized that most people would just drive out of the city to buy.

So common with the left.

When states did the same thing, there were bootleg cigarette around. People used to drive to Alabama to buy hundreds of cartons of cigarettes, and bring them up to Ohio to sell them cheaper.

At the time, I was working for a vending company. One of my jobs was to go downtown and have our meter filled. The meter was used to put an Ohio stamp on all packs of cigarettes that we sold. The clerk was telling me how the state had agents go into public places like bars and restaurants (smoking was okay in those places back then) and they would look for cigarette without the Ohio stamp on it. If they found one, they would issue a summons to court for the user. If the user wanted to get out of paying the fine, he or she would have to rat out where they bought the cigarettes from.

I used to buy cartons of smokes and take them to NYC with me when I went fairly regularly for people up there. Thing is, there are very few places in my city where you cannot be out of my city in 15 minutes so it isn't like it would be a big inconvenience. We have people coming across the state line to buy gas in my city because our state's gas tax is 50 cents less per gal.

It's all so silly. Reminds me of years ago when the Democrat Congress made it illegal to sell toilets with two gallon tanks. So people started to go to Canada to buy toilets and sell them in the US.

The new toilets manufacturers were forced to make didn't flush for shit (no pun intended). I think they were 1.4 gallons at the time, and you had to flush them three times to do the same job as the 2 gallon toilets you only flushed once.

One of our bathrooms has a low flow toilet. I realized this winter when I went in there that was the first time I had been in that particular bathroom in two years.

They are much better now, but at the time, they were worthless. Now I think the thing uses a quart of water.

I like the toilets that companies have for their employees restrooms. Those things use 5 gallons of water. You can flush a bowling ball down those toilets. Wish I could get the same thing for my home, but I think you would have to run 1" water lines to it for that kind of power.

The tankless toilets are still supposed to only use the 1.6 gal/flush as a standard toilet. They just have more line pressure.

The citizens of Philadelphia have been rocked by a tax on sugary drinks like soda, although the hike was intended to improve their health.

As outlined by Hotair on Saturday, the “soda tax” has actually led to Philadelphia residents traveling outside the city to buy their soda (and likely other goods), decreased the city’s revenue, and led to layoffs in the local beverage industry and cut hours for employees at small markets. It did not, however, lead to an increase in healthier beverage purchases in the city.

When the soda tax was first announced, workers at Pepsi took a hit. “With sales slumping because of the new Philadelphia sweetened beverage tax, Pepsi said Wednesday that it will lay off 80 to 100 workers at three distribution plants that serve the city,” philly.com reported in March of 2017.

And last month, the local outlet reported that the owner of Acme Markets, who has 16 stores in Philadelphia, had to cut employees’ hours because of the tax: “The beverage tax fell on about 4,000 items. In Acme city stores, soda sales dropped as much as 80 percent. Sales of other items covered by the tax, such as juices, creamers and energy drinks, were down 30 percent, and the number of customers declined by 5 percent. Philly stores cut an average of 150 to 200 employee hours per week, resulting in lighter paychecks for employees."

But the hit the employees took did not equate to a win for the “health” of its citizens. As noted by Hotair, Philadelphia residents were traveling outside the city to avoid the tax hike on their drinks.

A CNN report on a study from medical journal JAMA focused in on the 51% drop in city soda purchases, but admitted: “While researchers found that sales of sugary beverages fell in Philadelphia after the tax, beverage sales in nearby towns and counties without the tax went up. That suggests people may have been traveling to get their soda at a reduced price.”

“People stopped buying their soda in the city (and almost undoubtedly a lot of other shopping list items) and decided to shop where prices were lower,” Hotair noted.

So was there at least an uptick in healthier beverage purchases because of the tax? Nope. “Philadelphia did not see an increase in sales of untaxed beverages such as bottled water,” CNN reported.

CNN did not discuss the revenue hit Philadelphia took, but Hotair did: “The tax on soda increased by 17%, but the sales fell by 51%. So, let’s look at this assuming one million ounces of soda was sold annually before the tax went into effect. If sales had remained the same, the city would have realized $62,400.00 in revenue instead of $54,300.00. But with the volume cut in half, they managed to slash their revenue to $31,200.00.”
Anything democrats touch turns to shit.
and that is just a fact.

Forum List

Back