Back to Basics

DamnYankee

No Neg Policy
Apr 2, 2009
You are what you eat, and if you had to depend solely on what could be obained/grown locally, what would you be eating?
Animal
Vegetable
Mineral

The wife and I have a big ass garden. Tomatoes, squash (both winter and summer), peppers (hot and sweet), carrots, lettuce, cabbage, eggplant, watermelon, cantalope, and cucumbers.
I hunt and fish. There is still some elk, venison, and ducks in the freezer. I usually bring home enough fish for a meal or two since I think freezing fish ruins the flavor.

The wife and I have a big ass garden. Tomatoes, squash (both winter and summer), peppers (hot and sweet), carrots, lettuce, cabbage, eggplant, watermelon, cantalope, and cucumbers.
I hunt and fish. There is still some elk, venison, and ducks in the freezer. I usually bring home enough fish for a meal or two since I think freezing fish ruins the flavor.

I see vegetable and animal.

Know what mineral(s) they supply?

Nice garden BTW
:lol:

We have a small garden..

a pecan tree

a tangerine tree

and we know how to fish!

we could hunt too if we had to..

You are what you eat, and if you had to depend solely on what could be obained/grown locally, what would you be eating?
Animal
Vegetable
Mineral

Locally available,
Animal -- Beef, pork, chicken, various fish, goat, rabbit and venison (Raccoon and Opossum if you want).
Vegetable -- Too many to list, see link, Vegetables Listings Home
(You forgot) Fruit -- Too many to list, see link, Fruit Listings Home
Mineral -- I think I can get all the minerals I need from the above sources.

Animal
Vegetable
Mineral

Locally available,
Animal -- Beef, pork, chicken, various fish, goat, rabbit and venison (Raccoon and Opossum if you want).
Vegetable -- Too many to list, see link, Vegetables Listings Home
(You forgot) Fruit -- Too many to list, see link, Fruit Listings Home
Mineral -- I think I can get all the minerals I need from the above sources.

I believe, for the purposes of categorizing, "fruit" is covered under "Vegetable"

No need to make it complicated....

Venison, rabbit, fish, berries, cattail tubers, if you're lucky enough to live close to water.

Juniper berries (blech). Probably have to make them into mind-altering substance, though.

Those are the native food stuffs...

If we were to lose all contact with the outside world today, we'd have a few gardens with produce, but not many or enough to go around. Maybe enough to provide seed for another year.

And wheat. Lots of wheat. Cows, horses, pigs, sheep...the usual barnyard fare. Pheasants, chukars, dove, quail. I forgot them. Though I don't think pheasant is indigenous.

Being the Garden State, we have everything from apples to watermelon.

Used to find cows grazing, but now... Well, there is one remaining livestock auction.

Oh yeah.... Forgot the seafood, and definitely salt from the ocean.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything you'd expect

Meat: no seafood but plenty of freshwater fish, beef, pork, chicken, venison, turkey, quail, etc.

Veggies/fruit: Anything you can grow grows here minus tropical fruit so no oranges, bananas or the like, but plenty of blackberries, strawberries, elderberries, watermelon, apples, pears, cherries and cantaloupe that I wouldn't miss 'em much.

For minerals there are salt mines close to the Kansas boarder, the rest I had to look up:

In addition to the huge deposits of lead, other minerals were found and mines were developed to extract the minerals. Vast supplies of zinc, copper, nickel, and cobalt, tripoli, stone, clay, industrial sand, lime, barite, and coal were extracted from Missouri's mines.
Edit - I say no seafood but I should amend that to say no traditional seafood.

We do have crawdads and freshwater mussels, clams and even freshwater oysters, but no crab, lobster or calamari...all of which I would sorely miss.

Last edited:
I have no idea what minerals we have. Probably salt, somewhere.

In learning about nutrition, we often hear that certain foods contain a certain amount of vitamins and minerals. This is especially true in fruits, vegetables, and other produce, but very few people understand the truth about this information, which is that most of the published values about this nutritional content are not correct. This is especially true among minerals, and that's the point of this story.

Most of the produce you buy in a grocery store does not have anything close to the mineral profile it is supposed to have according to nutritional textbooks. This is because minerals are not manufactured by plants, whereas vitamins and phytonutrients are. When plants create such nutrients, they synthesize them through chemical and energetic processes that can only be called miraculous. But as capable as they are, plants do not create minerals. Minerals have to be absorbed through the soil, and if they are not present in the soil, then the plant's roots cannot take them up, and therefore they will not be present in the plant.

The nutritional and mineral profile of the plant ultimately depends on the mineral content of the soil. Since soils today are so over-farmed and depleted of all but a few basic minerals, most of our produce lacks the minerals they should contain. For example, a lot of plants absorb selenium when selenium is present in the soil. But when selenium is not present in the soil, of course it's not available to the plant. The plant gets grown and taken to the store and sold and consumed anyway, even though it doesn't have the levels of selenium that it should contain according to traditional textbooks.
Secrets of soil nutrition: Why the minerals in soil determine the success or failure of foods, health and civilization by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

Too little selenium causes problems in horses.
Too much kills them. That's all I know about selenium. We add it to our salt for the horses and cows, because it isn't in our soil.
Other animals we have to eat: Elk, bear, antelope, wild sheep and goats.

Forum List

Back