Back in frontier days...

Sep 12, 2008
Back in the days of the rough frontier there was the story of a judge who gave swift but mercurial justice.

One day he announced in court while the jury was not in the room "The court has a bribe from the defendant for $ 1,400 and from the plaintif for $1,100. The court will return $300 to the defendant and try the case strictly on its merits.

:eusa_shhh:

Back in the days of the rough frontier there was the story of a judge who gave swift but mercurial justice.

One day he announced in court while the jury was not in the room "The court has a bribe from the defendant for $ 1,400 and from the plaintif for $1,100. The court will return $300 to the defendant and try the case strictly on its merits.

:eusa_shhh:

Unrelated, my fav is the Benjamin Disraeli retort....

"Once at a social gathering, Gladstone said to Disraeli: 'I predict, Sir, that you will die either by hanging or of some vile disease'.

Disraeli replied, 'That all depends, sir, upon whether I embrace your principles or your mistress.'."

Actually that was said by Charles James Fox to the Earl of Sandwich.

It is a great line though.

Disraeli and Gladstone were great buds early in their careers. Mrs Gladstone had issues though.

Forum List

Back