Back in Business

We should have a permanent presence on the Moon before we even consider sending people to Mars and beyond. Private industry is the future of space.

We should have a permanent presence on the Moon before we even consider sending people to Mars and beyond. Private industry is the future of space.

I guess that will come down to which is easier. Distance seems the real problem for mars, but Mars seems like it could be more habitable.

It would take someone a lot smarter than myself to make that call, but something like a 600 deg F temp swing on the moon, vs a much smaller one on mars. Mars has CO2 which could be used to grow plants, and an atmosphere (could use to pressurize living domes). And then would be on how much radiation protection each place offers. Gravity difference and it's effect on humans as well would seem to favor Mars, as well as scientific importance (Moon is basically a rock from Earth).

Like I said, a lot of others know much more about this than myself, but my opinion which could be changed based on other facts would be until we figure the travel part, the moon is a fine test location first. If we can survive there for a long period of time, living on Mars should be much simpler. But I don't see a compelling reason to stay on the moon permanently as of yet.

I guess that will come down to which is easier. Distance seems the real problem for mars, but Mars seems like it could be more habitable.

It would take someone a lot smarter than myself to make that call, but something like a 600 deg F temp swing on the moon, vs a much smaller one on mars. Mars has CO2 which could be used to grow plants, and an atmosphere (could use to pressurize living domes). And then would be on how much radiation protection each place offers. Gravity difference and it's effect on humans as well would seem to favor Mars, as well as scientific importance (Moon is basically a rock from Earth).

Like I said, a lot of others know much more about this than myself, but my opinion which could be changed based on other facts would be until we figure the travel part, the moon is a fine test location first. If we can survive there for a long period of time, living on Mars should be much simpler. But I don't see a compelling reason to stay on the moon permanently as of yet.
Until it became self-sustaining a base on Mars would harder to maintain than one on the Moon. Mars is months away the Moon is only a few days. If there is an emergency a rescue mission to Mars would be useless.

Until it became self-sustaining a base on Mars would harder to maintain than one on the Moon. Mars is months away the Moon is only a few days. If there is an emergency a rescue mission to Mars would be useless.

That's true. It will be interesting what they do for an emergency situation and have in place..

Or maybe it would be like most other space missions where they really are on their own

Moon makes good place to practice. THINKING ON going straight to Mars is foolhardy

You can't live on the moon long-term. Living on another planet or moon sucks. Better to live on a space station, but it's better to live on Earth despite the libs and atheists.

Mars is even worse. If the libs and atheists want to go to find aliens, then let them. It's a one-way trip as there is only enough fuel to make it there. The solar wind conditions are very harsh.

You can't live on the moon long-term. Living on another planet or moon sucks. Better to live on a space station, but it's better to live on Earth despite the libs and atheists.

Mars is even worse. If the libs and atheists want to go to find aliens, then let them. It's a one-way trip as there is only enough fuel to make it there. The solar wind conditions are very harsh.
There is no reason we can't have a permanent presence on the Moon. We have discovered water ice on the Moon and there are likely thousands of miles of lava tubes that we can use to build colonies. If we ever figure out viable nuclear fusion Helium-3 will be a key fuel and the Moon is covered with the stuff.

There is no reason we can't have a permanent presence on the Moon. We have discovered water ice on the Moon and there are likely thousands of miles of lava tubes that we can use to build colonies. If we ever figure out viable nuclear fusion Helium-3 will be a key fuel and the Moon is covered with the stuff.

You're just saying that. Sorry, but no one in their right mind would want to live on the moon.

You're just saying that. Sorry, but no one in their right mind would want to live on the moon.
No one in their right mind would want to sail across the Atlantic or Pacific. You see where I'm going with this, right ? I would go in a second.
Water Ice Confirmed on the Surface of the Moon for the 1st Time!
City-Size Lunar Lava Tube Could House Future Astronaut Residents
Helium-3 mining on the lunar surface

No one in their right mind would want to sail across the Atlantic or Pacific. You see where I'm going with this, right ? I would go in a second.
Water Ice Confirmed on the Surface of the Moon for the 1st Time!
City-Size Lunar Lava Tube Could House Future Astronaut Residents
Helium-3 mining on the lunar surface

Uh huh. Like I said, no one in their right mind would want to live on the moon even if it was all paid for.

Forum List

Back