Bachmann backs off BP defense as GOPers distances from Barton

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Bachmann backs off BP defense, as GOPers distance from Barton Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.

Bachmann backs off BP defense, as GOPers distance from Barton
By Andy Birkey 6/17/10 2:03 PM Digg Tweet

Rep. Michele Bachmann on Wednesday appeared to back off her criticisms of the Obama administration’s plans to have BP pay for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, as other Republicans weighed in the plan: Rep. Joe Barton apologized to BP for the escrow fund, while Republican Rep. Jeff Miller called for Barton to step down from his leadership post on the House energy committee. Meanwhile, Bachmann’s opponent this fall, DFL Sen. Tarry Clark, pounced on Bachmann’s earlier criticisms, stating unequivocally, “I stand with taxpayers” — not BP.

On Tuesday, Bachmann said that a $20 billion victims escrow amounted to “wealth redistribution,” urged BP executives not to be “chumps,” and said the Obama administration was “fleecing” BP. But on Wednesday, she told CNN, “I’m not here to shill for BP. That’s not the goal. BP clearly is at fault here. They need to pay every last dime of damage and that’s what needs to be done. But at the same time, we don’t want these payouts to become political.”

Sen. Clark seized on Bachmann’s earlier statements.

“Let me be clear: I stand with the victims of this tragedy and the American taxpayers. They are the ones who deserve to be defended,” Clark said in a statement. “But instead, Congresswoman Bachmann has risen to the defense of BP. Holding BP accountable for this disaster is not ‘fleecing’ it. It’s making sure they do what’s right by the citizens of the Gulf whose livelihoods are threatened and by all Americans who want the Gulf cleaned up.”

She added, “Michele Bachmann refuses to hold BP accountable — but I will. Make no mistake, I stand with taxpayers, not BP.”

Bachmann isn’t the only Republican seeming to defend BP.

On Thursday afternoon, Texas Rep. Barton, the ranking Republican on the Energy Committee, apologized to BP for the White House’s creation of the victims’ escrow, calling it a “shakedown” and a “slush fund.”

Barton’s comments prompted fellow Republican Rep. Jeff Miller to call for Barton’s resignation from the committee.

I condemn Mr. Barton’s statement. Mr. Barton’s remarks are out of touch with this tragedy and I feel his comments call into question his judgment and ability to serve in a leadership on the Energy and Commerce Committee. He should step down as Ranking Member of the Committee.

And Minority Leader John Boehner said on Thursday that Barton was wrong.

“I have said since the beginning that BP ought to be responsible for all of this cleanup,” Boehner told Fox News. “The fact is that they’ve agreed to put this $20 billion in escrow. I don’t know what context Mr. Barton was making that remark, but I’m glad that BP has accepted responsibility for their actions.”

Most GOPers agree with what Barton and Bachmann said, but leadership finally realized it can't be said out loud.

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."
Benito Mussolini

I can't believe the Republicans would be clever enough, but maybe Barton, who's probably in a safe district, played the asshole just so his fellow Republicans could put a little shine on their own shoes coming out against him and BP.

eh? too clever?

Most GOPers agree with what Barton and Bachmann said, but leadership finally realized it can't be said out loud.

Exactly! I thought Bachmann is a TeaBagger? I thought she's fighting for the little guy? I thought the GOP fights for the little guy? :lol:

Would the TeaBaggers like to know that their leaders expect them to pay for the damages of irresponsible corporations? Taxpayers are supposed to bail out and pay for the damages created by BP?

Too many Republicans are Corporatists that use the propaganda of fighting for the common people. It's times like these when we get to see their true colors, yet their fans still try and defend it even when it goes against their best interests.

lmao...republicans can do no right in far lefty mind set....they disavow and demand one of their own apologize for a stupid comment, but its just ruse to make them look good...

seriously, some of you lefties are just bizarre

hey, republicans didn't kill a million people today, thats just a ruse though, you watch and wait for tomorrow :lol:

lmao...republicans can do no right in far lefty mind set....they disavow and demand one of their own apologize for a stupid comment, but its just ruse to make them look good...

seriously, some of you lefties are just bizarre

hey, republicans didn't kill a million people today, thats just a ruse though, you watch and wait for tomorrow :lol:
LOL, Cons are so complimentary toward Liberals. Poor, poor right wingnuts.

Exactly! I thought Bachmann is a TeaBagger? I thought she's fighting for the little guy? I thought the GOP fights for the little guy? :lol:

Would the TeaBaggers like to know that their leaders expect them to pay for the damages of irresponsible corporations? Taxpayers are supposed to bail out and pay for the damages created by BP?

Too many Republicans are Corporatists that use the propaganda of fighting for the common people. It's times like these when we get to see their true colors, yet their fans still try and defend it even when it goes against their best interests.

It is amazing! They follow each other like sheep. When it appeared Boehner said he wanted tax payers to help BP clean up, the crazies on here were in his corner making excuses. Then when he "clarified", most backed off while some just kept arguing for BP. FRIGIN AMAZING!

It is amazing! They follow each other like sheep. When it appeared Boehner said he wanted tax payers to help BP clean up, the crazies on here were in his corner making excuses. Then when he "clarified", most backed off while some just kept arguing for BP. FRIGIN AMAZING!

They also can't figure out if Obama forced BP to setup an escrow account. One moment, they're all "BP was going to pay anyway!!!" and the next moment they're "Obama bullied BP. No fair!!":cuckoo:

Forum List

Back